The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-28-2017, 06:49 PM

It's a silk dome tweeter in the Mini, not a bullet. I use mine direct plugged to a variety of PU systems daily and find it better than almost anything else I've tried. I like it better than my Schertler Jam 100 for instance.

I did an intensive test btwn the Boss, Fender 100. Mini and Artist and though the Mini sounded lacking in a colored romantic sound, it ran a solid second time the Artist. The Boss sounded digitally processed in direct comparison. It was certainly good but the Mini was still better for my singing/playing.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_G View Post
My belief is that the Fishman Mini has a very well designed speaker cabinet and also think its effect settings of chorus and reverb are beautifully tasteful.

However... On the downside...

I just cant dial out thst crappy 2 to 4k harshness and yet control ambient air without the piezo horn being annoying. It misses everything by a country mile.

Anyone have a comparable experience and what did you find for a small amp replacement that addressed your needs?
I bought the mini for live amplification because I was impressed with its output and throw for such a small package. I compared it directly to the Artist and I was impressed at how much more I was able to hear the Mini. I also thought the slope cabinet design would be a good feature for live use both in hearing the amp and projecting into the room.

Move forward to the first gig and right away, at gig volume in a band mix, I realized the front angle was not sufficient to allow me to set it on the floor and monitor it. So I am "borrowing" a chair from the venue to allow me to get it to sufficient height. Then once I turned it up enough I was hit with that annoying harshness that you mention. And it would not be dialed out, either at the amp or the guitar. Second gig? Same result. There was no third gig. Sold it to someone that uses it in their living room where it does fine. I think the secret to the Mini's success is also it's downfall for me. Hyped frequencies that at modest volumes make it impress with volume but turn harsh when the volume comes up.

While I never got to test an Artist in a real gig environment, based on my side by side test, I suspect it is less hyped in the troubling frequency ranges and might be a better option for some. I got a Schertler David and that solved the problems *completely*. Better dispersion, as good at projecting and does so without needing to emphasize an annoying frequency band for the sake of being heard. And a great pole mount that lets me put it on a speaker stand and set it at a perfect height. It was an expensive option though and I believe they are discontinued.

hunter
Old 10-29-2017, 05:56 PM

Wow.....I kinda hate to be a contrarian, but I actually feel like the Fishman Loudbox Mini sounds pretty good. I am left wondering as to exactly what others may be hearing which I am not? Maybe I have a tin ear — this might explain something about my playing (LOL).

I primarily play nylon-string.....one guitar has a Barbera, the other a Baggs hex system. Pre-amps are Sansamp or Red-eye. I start the eq on the amp all at 12:00, then adjust as / if needed. I don’t recall ever having to get extreme with eq adjustment on the Loudbox Mini amp, and I feel like it is a great bang for the buck. Would I rather have an AER? Sure.....but that is a very different price point.

I am not trying to argue here, but I so often feel like I am missing something in these eq discussions......I seem to either not HAVE the problem or otherwise I am just somehow OVERLOOKING / NOT HEARING the problem associated with eq setting or adjustments. I am just trying to wrap my brain around this issue a little better....but....thus far......I feel like my Loudbox Mini sounds pretty dang good to my un-educated ears.......?
Old 10-29-2017, 07:17 PM

I think that many players size up their at volume sound from behind, the close side or too close to the amp, which would explain most of the criticism being written here.
The Schertler’s are certainly flatter response but the Mini has mostly an 80-120hz peak. Not a hyped high. it also holds together well at volume in my experience.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Wow.....I kinda hate to be a contrarian, but I actually feel like the Fishman Loudbox Mini sounds pretty good. I am left wondering as to exactly what others may be hearing which I am not? Maybe I have a tin ear — this might explain something about my playing (LOL).

I primarily play nylon-string.....one guitar has a Barbera, the other a Baggs hex system. Pre-amps are Sansamp or Red-eye. I start the eq on the amp all at 12:00, then adjust as / if needed. I don’t recall ever having to get extreme with eq adjustment on the Loudbox Mini amp, and I feel like it is a great bang for the buck. Would I rather have an AER? Sure.....but that is a very different price point.

I am not trying to argue here, but I so often feel like I am missing something in these eq discussions......I seem to either not HAVE the problem or otherwise I am just somehow OVERLOOKING / NOT HEARING the problem associated with eq setting or adjustments. I am just trying to wrap my brain around this issue a little better....but....thus far......I feel like my Loudbox Mini sounds pretty dang good to my un-educated ears.......?
I believe your ears are fine and probably more educated than mine. I think there many variables in our interpretation of what sounds good. If we all liked the same thing it would be one boring world. The best way for me to determine if I like something (guitar, amp, etc.) is to have someone else better than me Play my gear. That way I can hear what it’s suppose to sound like.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with my Loudbox mini. I just can’t seem to adjust it to my liking or I just can’t seem to find a place where I would use it instead of my PA/powered speakers. I have Discovered one thing. It sounds very different depending on where I place it.

Where do you place yours when you play?
Old 10-29-2017, 08:57 PM

The very idea that an outboard preamp is required to make good on the amps tone rather than using the amps onboard preamp is *exactly* the issue I was objecting to at the outset of the thread
. Eg... I have found the onboard preamp is inadequade... But as indicated using outboard gear through the aux input sounds just fine... In my case an El Cheapo PA mixer.

I dont see why I ought to invest hundreds more in outboard gear to fulfill the mission of this amp. It basically doubles the cost of the system and adds setup time and stage clutter.

Last edited by Tommy_G; 10-29-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_G View Post
The very idea that an outboard preamp is required to make good on the amps tone rather than using the amps onboard preamp is *exactly* the issue I was objecting to at the outset of the thread
. Eg... I have found the onboard preamp is inadequade... But as indicated using outboard gear through the aux input sounds just fine... In my case an El Cheapo PA mixer.

I dont see why I ought to invest hundreds more in outboard gear to fulfill the mission of this amp. It basically doubles the cost of the system and adds setup time and stage clutter.

One lesson I’ve learned is that every guitar and pickup system is different. Every player is different. And, every speaker or amp is different. If it doesn’t sound right to you, move one. No reason to invest more time. However, for every player who strikes out with a piece of gear, there is another player who loves it. Go figure.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I don’t think there is anything wrong with my Loudbox mini. I just can’t seem to adjust it to my liking or I just can’t seem to find a place where I would use it instead of my PA/powered speakers. I have Discovered one thing. It sounds very different depending on where I place it.

Where do you place yours when you play?
Most commonly, the amp is placed on the floor -- directly to my side -- pointing directly forward. Seems to work for me.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstrummer View Post
I recently put a K&K pure mini in my OM-28 acoustic. Also bought a Fishman mini to use with it. It sounds like crap. I called K&K and they told me their pickup was looking for a different impedance than the fishman was looking for. Bought a used Boss TU2 since it has the type impedance the amp looks for, still sounds like crap. Then added a MXR 6 band eq and adjusted it to take out mainly the lows and it does sound better now, not great thou. Don't know if the pickup or the amp is the real problem in this combo. The K&K guy told me I needed to buy one of their preamps to use with it. Did not plan to have to spend another $100.00 plus to use with this pickup.
Sounds like an installation problem.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:43 PM

That amp placed next to you on the floor is going to be greatly altered in tone. Its fairly directional so it has to be facing you more than that. You could place it behind you to your right or left but back a few feet and you would hear much better. The sound would still carry clearly to those out front. And try it up off the floor with either an amp stand or just a small little table from Goodwill.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification