The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-29-2024, 04:57 PM

I've been mostly playing Octave Mandolins, so Tenor Guitars are new to me. But I've enjoyed these tunings for both:

GDAE
GDAD
GDGD
GCGC

String gauges: 46 - 32 - 22 - 12 (sometimes I beef up the 12 to a 14)

Mainly use these cause I like alternate tunings on guitar like:
DADGAD
DADF#AD (open D)
DGDGBD (open G)
CGCGCE (open C)

So tuning to these other tunings have kind of kept it familiar-ish to my fingers.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
I prefer a sound with more mids than highs. Is there a tenor guitar that uses A-D-G-B strings? I guess I could use them on a regular tenor and tune down a step. That would also give me a middle C on my lower string. Has anyone tried that? Thanks.
I tune my baritone uke ADGB. With it i can play most of the first position guitar chord shapes with satisfactory alternating bass with the thumb. The notable exceptions are D (no 3rd, but a modal D is usually acceptable for D or Dm) and G (open with thumb alternating from 2 to 3, or F shape). I do not like Chicago tuning because there is no acceptable C, which is my favorite key.

PS: Whoops. Forgot i already replied to this. Sorry, another presidential candidate moment.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:20 AM

I appreciate your follow-up. I like the lower tuning for the same reason.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments