The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2017, 11:43 AM

Default Ziricote Bridge and Fretboard in Furch 24-LR limited edition series?

Hi everyone there's a particular guitar that caught me eye: the furch 24-LR 2016 limited edition. http://www.furch.cz/en/special-serie...24-lr-limited/

Does anyone know the difference between using an ebony bridge and fretboard vs ziricote ones? What are the tonal differences? Most importantly, I'm quite concerned about the 'smoothness' of sliding on the fretboard. I've tried an ebony one and so far it has worked out for me, but I don't know if a ziricote one will be more 'silky' to move about or rougher. Does it depends on the pores of the fretboard wood?
Old 01-18-2017, 12:00 PM

I have a Ziricote fingerboard and bridge on my Bourgeois OM. I love the look of the dramatic grain. It does seem to have more of an open pore compared to ebony, but it's never hindered my playing - at least not any more than I'm all ready hindering my own playing!
I'm of the understanding that it's lighter than ebony in weight, and has more resonant properties. It's tough to compare that single aspect of a few different instruments, but I've always been pleased by all the guitars I've played with Ziricote fingerboards.
If it were me, I'd pick ziricote in most situations... unless it's a wildly inlayed guitar (42 or 45 style)... then it's hard to go wrong with the pure black ebony.
Good luck!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Chulka View Post
I have a Ziricote fingerboard and bridge on my Bourgeois OM. I love the look of the dramatic grain. It does seem to have more of an open pore compared to ebony, but it's never hindered my playing - at least not any more than I'm all ready hindering my own playing!
I'm of the understanding that it's lighter than ebony in weight, and has more resonant properties. It's tough to compare that single aspect of a few different instruments, but I've always been pleased by all the guitars I've played with Ziricote fingerboards.
If it were me, I'd pick ziricote in most situations... unless it's a wildly inlayed guitar (42 or 45 style)... then it's hard to go wrong with the pure black ebony.
Good luck!
Thanks for your reply! What is your take on the 24-LR? Have you heard of any tonal difference between a figured wood vs a straight-grain one? I have the perception that a figured rosewood actually means worse quality as the grains are far apart. Do you know if this is true?
Old 01-18-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmate99 View Post
Thanks for your reply! What is your take on the 24-LR? Have you heard of any tonal difference between a figured wood vs a straight-grain one? I have the perception that a figured rosewood actually means worse quality as the grains are far apart. Do you know if this is true?
I wish I had some experience with the Furch guitars... unfortunately I have none. I've heard great things about them in general.
I'm kind of a sucker for figured rosewoods, personally. I've played a number of figured EI rosewood guitars that have really impressed me. I certainly don't think one could accurately claim that a straight grain version will 'sound a lot better' - simply based on the backset's grain pattern. Some folks love wildly figured woods - some folks love the more traditional association of the straight grain sets. I say go with whatever will make you want to play the guitar most often, then you can't lose.
The link you provided looks to be a gorgeous instrument! Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:48 PM

chessmate, those of us who live in North America rarely ever get to see Furch guitars. I know I've never seen one except in pictures.

As for ziricote, it should be very similar to rosewood in terms of its playing feel as a fretboard and as a bridge. If you can't find any guitars with ziricote fingerboards near where you live, try some with rosewood and see if those suit you.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-18-2017, 01:53 PM

Thank you all for your help! I have only tried a Furch once but the fretboard was ebony. I'll try out a rosewood fingerboard if I have the chance!
Old 01-18-2017, 02:14 PM

I played a Furch G24LC-C last weekend that was the first guitar that has ever "blown me away". The ease of play and incredible tone have been stuck in my head all week. I played a few other Furch guitars that day and, other than the consistent ease of play, the tone was hit or miss between them for me. You can tell they are very well made.

And Matt, if you are the same person I see doing reviews on YouTube, then I have to say that your playing doesn't sound hindered at all. You're a great player!
Searching for the right Esteban...
Old 01-19-2017, 02:46 AM

Oh wow I didn't Matt is the player from Eddie's Guitar YT channel! I've seen his review of the Bourgeios 30th anniversary prototype and got blown away by how good the Bourgeois is. Too bad I've limited funds to get one!!

I've also read from an article by Dana Bourgeois that a bear-claw figure is indicative of a tighter grain. Does this mean bear-claw on a mastergrade wood is better than a simply a mastergrade wood?

If given the choice would you choose:
Option 1: Mastergrade + bearclaw top + AAA back and sides
Option 2: AAAA Top + Master grade back and sides

Would love to hear your opinions!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bridge, ebony, fretboard, furch, ziricote