The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-07-2014, 07:08 AM

Default How to even out the bridge's slot bottom? (where saddle sits)

Hello, I recently acquired a cheap acoustic (bass) guitar, and the G-string is about 12dB louder than the rest. The saddle wasn't square, so I fixed that, but it was still terribly unbalanced. I checked the bottom of the bridge-slot with a depth gauge, and it's not even.

The depth is about 2.3mm - 2.5mm shallower where the G-string sits (kind of huge, if you axe me), and I'm thinking this has something to do with the uneven string balance output.

Is there a trick to evening it out, or a special tool? None of my files can really fit in that slot to work at it... Or should I "build-up" the rest of the area to match the shallow depth portion?

I'm thinking about grinding a small flat-blade screw-driver sharp enough to just start scraping at the shallow part, to even things out.

How do you guys even out an uneven bridge slot (for UST balance problems, as the saddle is perfectly square and flat now)?

Or what about a 2mm shim, that only spans the E - A - D strings, placed under the UST, to essentially even out the floor where the UST will sit? Or do this with some sort of clay or something? I wouldn't care, but it's really bad. The G-string just honks so much louder than the other strings.

Last edited by GSM; 09-07-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:21 AM

I need a router, don't I? or a really small chisel? Dang cheap guitars!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:24 AM

It was over 2mm difference in the bridge's slot. I ended up using a very tiny and sharp Wiha flat-blade micro screwdriver, and slowly chiseled/scraped 2mm away, constantly checking with the depth gauge.

Then, I had a tiny diamond file to smooth it out... Not as perfect as a router, but I'm impressed with how well it worked. The best part is...

OH MY GOSH! NIGHT and DAY! All strings are (as far as my ears can tell) PERFECTLY balanced now! It's so nice and perfect now. It was a cheap, beater acoustic bass guitar, and now it's perfect. Oh, dang, I am so pleased with myself right now!

Stupid cheap bass made in Indonesia, couldn't even make a bridge correctly, but it all worked out in the end and I'm loving this thing! Whoo Hoo! Thanks for all the help! (wait... nevermind)
Old 09-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSM View Post
I need a router, don't I? or a really small chisel? Dang cheap guitars!
Hi GSM...

Yes, a Router or a Dremmel.

Stewart McDonald sells a router base, and also a saddle jig, which seems equally important to the tool. It holds the tool (router or dremmel) in place and on plane.

Base and Jigs - CliCk

I'm sure you could improvise a base and jig for a single use on an inexpensive instrument.

[EDIT]Well you were busy! And successful…[EDIT]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSM View Post
≥OH MY GOSH! NIGHT and DAY! All strings are (as far as my ears can tell) PERFECTLY balanced now! It's so nice and perfect now. It was a cheap, beater acoustic bass guitar, and now it's perfect. Oh, dang, I am so pleased with myself right now!
Hi GSM...

Glad it worked out so well, and now you have a working instrument played by a happy man! I don't share your disdain for inexpensive instruments. Many can be made workable with a little elbow grease & ingenuity.

Glad yours did!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-07-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi GSM...

Glad it worked out so well, and now you have a working instrument played by a happy man! I don't share your disdain for inexpensive instruments. Many can be made workable with a little elbow grease & ingenuity.

Glad yours did!

Yeah, I'm too impatient not to improvise a little. I got it really very even with maybe about a 0.1mm inconsistency along the channel, good enough for me (and the UST output)! It's a cheap guitar, if it was a fancy model, I probably would have ordered the proper tools, and wouldn't have even tried it this way, but I'm glad I did! I'm really happy with the results! Happy DAY! Yay! Thanks for the kind words, ljguitar!

Oh yeah, it also fixed the action on the high side. I thought it was weird that the saddle was the same height all the way across at first, but now it does a proper slope down from the bass side. It's like double the benefits!

Last edited by GSM; 09-07-2014 at 08:57 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
balance, bridge, saddle, slot, uneven