The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-24-2019, 03:07 PM

Default Wurlitzer Parlor Guitar repair

Hi guys,
I just bought a Wurlitzer Parlor guitar that may have been built by Martin around the turn of the century (1900). The metal tail piece has some rust and I was wondering the best way to go about fixing that.
Can you re plate it or is it best to polish out the rust and then put a coat of lacquer to help keep it from rusting again?
Also, does anyone know more about the Wurlitzer "Cincinnatus" Parlor Guitars?
Thanks

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0d3K...X10MpzYAnZCltA
Old 02-24-2019, 04:29 PM

Martin built guitars for Wurlitzer from 1922 to 1924. If yours is Martin-made, it will have a stamp on the back of the headstock with Wurlitzer above the standard Martin stamp. Except: "Sometimes the Wurlitzer stamp replaced the typical Martin stamp, but other times it appears above the Martin name." Does either type stamp exist?

I don't think any models with an original tailpieces/floating bridges were made. It should look like the other Martin flat-tops. Is there evidence that a glued bridge was removed? Inside label is not Martin-like either.

Lots of search hits on Cincinnatus, but not connected to Martin. "Wurlitzer also sold guitars, mandolins and ukuleles made for them by other companies. These included various acoustic guitar brands (Cincinnatus etc.) from the late 1800s onwards as well as their own branded Wurlitzer electric guitars and basses from 1966 onwards (made by Holman and Welson)."

Unless you have the stamp, it's probably not made by Martin.

You could polish with Simichrome polish and put paste wax on it.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:04 AM

On a truly original specimen I typically clean with a bit of vinegar, rinse with a baking soda solution and apply a bit of wax.

Restoration leaves the door open to anything including re-plating or replacing....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair