The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-26-2018, 01:03 AM

Default Emerald X10 strings thread

I know this has been answered in numerous different places, but I'm hoping to consolidate some info here.

What kind of strings are we thinking is best for the x10?

I've heard emerald ships the guitar with lighter strings. Anyone know the size? The are D'Addario exp I think. This is probably too get a bit more of an electric feel.

Now I've read that using thicker strings can generate a larger signal for the magnetic pickup, so I'm trying to figure out the balance here.

Lastly, I've read that different string material generates a better signal for the magnetic pickup.
Lots of factors to consider.

Thoughts???
Old 11-29-2018, 09:39 AM

No one has any recommends on strings? I'm shocked!
Old 11-29-2018, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

I am very happy with the Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Lights I have on the X10. I like the sound and feel much more than the D'Addarios that it came with.

I could see perhaps going one gauge heavier on the E-A-D strings, but haven't tried it, yet. (that would be Light Medium) Hard to mess with it when it already sounds and feels so good.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I could see perhaps going one gauge heavier on the E-A-D strings,
I've ordered my X10 with fan frets so that should help with the projection of the E-A-D strings.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 11-30-2018, 04:59 AM

The strings that came on my second newest rendition of the X10 feel and sound fine to me.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-30-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I've ordered my X10 with fan frets so that should help with the projection of the E-A-D strings.

That should be really cool , hope you get it before Christmas....2019.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I mentioned picking up a set of Elixir Light/Mediums to my wife a couple days ago, and today they showed up. At the next string change, I'll put these on the X10 to see if there is any difference. For now, though, there is plenty of playing time left on the Elixirs I put on it last month.

I think the take-away from this is: I just mentioned those strings. I wonder what else would show up if I just mention it?
Old 12-03-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim;5908035

I think the take-away from this is: I just [I
mentioned[/I] those strings. I wonder what else would show up if I just mention it?
Hmmmmmm?????
Old 12-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

A string changing kinda day here... I started with the X20 - it was time. My usual choice: Elixir Nanoweb PB Lights. I do like the feel of new strings.

Next up: the X10. The strings on it were still in decent shape, but I wanted to try the Light Mediums (heavier E-A-D) on it. The is a small difference in the acoustic sound (more bass)... but my finger said, "What are you trying to do to us??!!" Fingers can be over-dramatic like that.

I'll see how I feel about those heavier top strings after a few days with them.

Finally, the X7 got a fresh set of Elixirs. Sounds good, plays good. This is just a sweet little guitar. I think I went about 5 months on the previous strings, and they still sounded decent. Yes, the fresh ones sound even better. This was the guitar that was with us all summer in the motorhome, so it got a lot of play.

Perhaps digressing, but I sure do like my powered string winder. About an hour to change all three, plus some cleaning and polishing.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:16 PM

I restrung my X10 with D'Addario Chromes. You can see the link below. I do like the string feel. It is so smooth with no noise when I slide up the neck. The sound is much quieter than before though, although that is really not an issue plugged in. I cant make a direct comparison, but theoretically, these strings should send more of a signal to the magnetic pickup.
I know some people complain about carbon guitars being too bright and I do think these strings get rid of that brightness. That said, they can sound muted, although I dont find it over muted. I use a fossilized wood pick that on the original strings was way too metallic sounding, but on these strings they sound great.

I'm not convinced these are the best strings for the X10 yet, but I do like the string feel and taming some of the brightness. Just wish it were a bit louder I suppose.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...YaAmVaEALw_wcB
Old 02-18-2019, 03:14 PM

I use to use D'Addario Chromes on my acoustic guitars,

and IMHO the Mediums and even the Jazz Light seemed muted, but the Extra Lights were brighter.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber