The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 PM

Default The problem with AGF classifieds is...

Now that's not a good way to start a post. Actually, there's more plus than minus and I've had good experiences with the Agfers but it's hard to find a deal. There is more trust here and that's worth extra money. You guys are so savvy that any deal gets scooped up and you wont get but a penny or two more for your guitar. So, to sum it up, if I am serious about a certain guitar and not worried about a few dollars I would shop here, But... I could(and do) spend endless hours looking for a "deal" ,elsewhere. I love the AGF but as a gasser and a shop, I find myself spending more time looking elsewhere for deals. Boy, I'm really throwing myself out there. AGF is awesome! No offense please but has any other gasser experienced this, I still check the classifieds
Old 01-11-2019, 11:15 PM

Maybe I should have titled this: confessions of an AGFer
Old 01-11-2019, 11:38 PM

I'm not sure if that's true. I got a good deal on a nice Martin here. I know I've sold things here cheaper than I would have sold them on ebay,
Old 01-11-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8tstartr View Post
I'm not sure if that's true. I got a good deal on a nice Martin here. I know I've sold things here cheaper than I would have sold them on ebay,
Yes, if you're giving a good deal it will disappear quick. I should elaborate on saying if I am looking for a certain higher end guitar I would look here. Bargain hunters not so much. I think being a small guitar shop I'm coming from a different perspective, maybe should have made that more clear.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:50 PM

BTW, I got a good deal on a Martin D 18 here a few years ago for 1600, don't get me wrong, that's my favorite guitar. I'm speaking simply from a bargain hunter perspective and wondering if others have found themselves there Maybe there's no point to this post except that.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:59 PM
Guest 728

I've bought two guitars here, and they were the best online transactions I've ever done. I didn't have swoop in and call "dibs," I didn't have to haggle endlessly over the shipping, and I got exceptional deals on both guitars, both which are very much still with me and being played every day. I think the trick is knowing what you want, having patience, and establishing interest as soon as one comes up.

At the moment, the classifieds are brimming with some seriously sexy and expensive luxury guitars, but I'm often impressed with the quality of the ones that get listed in the $1500 - 2000 range.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:13 AM

No problems with the classifieds but I do blame the AGF for my stockpile of untried strings that I seem to purchase every time I read a good review.

I made a 2019 resolution to work my way through them and not buy anymore.

I've already broken it.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-12-2019, 12:20 AM

Interesting thread! Yes I agree that good deals go fast but I love the classified section!

I currently have 2 guitars in my house that I purchased from the AGF classifieds and I love both. My other guitar was purchased from LA guitar sales and my ukulele is from Denver Folklore Center
Old 01-12-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade63 View Post
BTW, I got a good deal on a Martin D 18 here a few years ago for 1600, ....
You overpaid!
Old 01-12-2019, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Many of us know the markets really well. Typically I won't worry about the last $100, but if a guitar is priced hundreds high to start with, especially on a mainstream brand item like Martin/Taylor/Gibson, there are a bunch of us who won't even bother reaching out to the seller, even if we may have serious interest in the guitar. Just not worth the hassle, because I take it to mean the seller isn't a serious individual. Some sellers have this view to build hundreds of dollars of wiggle room into the price to have room to negotiate. That strategy doesn't work very well on the AGF, fyi.

Oh, and yeah, as zmf said, $1600 is a 'meh' price for a used D-18 considering you can buy them brand new at 40 off for $1890 from any number of dealers nationwide. $1450 - $1500 shipped would be more appropriate.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-12-2019, 12:49 AM
Guest 728

Deleted by author
Old 01-12-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
No problems with the classifieds but I do blame the AGF for my stockpile of untried strings that I seem to purchase every time I read a good review.

I made a 2019 resolution to work my way through them and not buy anymore.

I've already broken it.
In terms of bad habits that one might have, buying more sets of guitar strings than one person can easily use in a year is hardly Marie Antoinette-style extravagance. Somehow I suspect that Mrs. Campbell has made her peace with this unforgivably wild tendency on your part:

“Oh, no, Bruce, not again!! That money was supposed to go for our MORTGAGE!!

Nah...since I’ve arrived on your shores I’ve noticed that some prices are a bit higher than in the US, but I think buying more guitar strings than you can use is still pretty far down the list of impractical expenditures. Presumably you can still pay your utility bills.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-12-2019, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

I think that there are deals at all of your favorite USED classifieds. If you have a range of models you like just keep looking. It will popup. I have scored big time here. I actually need to sell a few. I also think I know their worth. It's usually a few hundred less than one repeats in ones mind during ownership. After 10 years of it I just call it rent.

Moreover, if you maintain your GAS (and the 41" boxes coming) some year ahead you will realize that the "deal" aspect of procuring a music making tool usually diminishes. Think of all the great guitars you could of owned if you didn't agree with that extra 5% the owner suggested. I do look around and there is currently one I would like to try. But I am on hold until I relieve my closet. Good search for you. I still have 4 acoustics I have from AGF classifieds.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:21 AM

The OP appears to voice a "complaint" that I find difficult to relate to. A shop can by definition not pay actual trade value for (any) used item.

My experience selling used items to stores has been a general reluctance to pay even close to what the item is worth, so I consider selling or buying used items through stores a last resort.

Obviously, the store has to make a profit, so it logically follows that they have to either under-pay or over-charge for a used item compared to its market value.

This is not to bash stores, but simple math.

I recently sold a guitar to a friend. Because he wanted to own and play the guitar, not flip it for profit, he was able to pay me the market value, which is obviously more than any store would have offered me.

Where no middleman is needed, why would we expect a seller or a buyer to pay for one?

So, in all honesty, I find the expectation of snatching used guitars at a bargain from private owners on AGF, only to turn them around for profit... let's just say, difficult to process. To me, being able to cut out - and not pay for - a middleman's profit is precisely the purpose of a forum like this.

If my views are misguided, I'm happy to be educated, and if I made any enemies by sharing them, so be it.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 01-12-2019 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:27 AM
Charter Member

Asking price is not always selling price, and it can’t hurt to make an offer you feel is a “Bargain” or at best a fair price. This is especially true with some sweet guitars that have been listed for several months or longer.

And every once in a while I see a guitar listed in the AGF classifieds at a price that is way below market value and would scoop it up if I where in the market.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion