The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-24-2016, 05:53 AM

Thanks Evan for your sage advice..... You have worn me down and just purchased a Rainsong NP12 from Ted. More on that latter when I receive it. To be fair it was your constant advocacy and my uke playing that opened my mind and more importantly my ears to the warmer and more sensual sound of nylon strings.

So my personal journey in CF continues... glad to have the good company of this forum!!!!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:28 AM
Guest 928

Fixed;

Congratulations, I think you will like the guitar. It is clearly designed for players coming from the steel side of the world and you should find it to be an easy transition.

Also, if you ever feel like getting a little wild and crazy, line the nylon strings up with a distortion petal--muy incredible. I mention this because it illustrates the amazing range of sound that can come from a nylon string guitar.

I'm not sure if I remember the name right, but I think the Gypsy Kings lead with a nylon string, thin-body guitar???
Old 05-24-2016, 06:32 PM
Guest 928

Fixed;

Back to your question about strings. Most, if not all, of the new nylon string guitars come with high tension strings. In the past, I've resisted those string because while they enhance projection, they degrade warmth. But CF guitars have changed and so have strings.

I've just put a set of D'Addario nylon core, hard tension, Ej46 strings on my X10-OSN (the only one on in the universe) and so far I'm pleased.

the nice thing about the hard tension is that they seem to tune much easier than the old cat-gut-like normal nylon strings. I suspect that the difference can be accounted for in both the design of the strings and the design of CF guitars.

As time goes by, I'll be trying a variety of strings on my guitars. So far, I have no specific recommendations other than do them all, and enjoy.

I used to hate string changing. I still do, but the new strings last a lot longer than those of the Old World, and when I make a change I try to enjoy the process. For example, in installing the EJ46 strings, I've played them in progression. The first E I played by itself, A-La Sea Sick Steve. that was fun.
And then I moved to two strings; that was also fun. I'm up to 6 strings and having a good time.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Fixed;

Back to your question about strings. Most, if not all, of the new nylon string guitars come with high tension strings. In the past, I've resisted those string because while they enhance projection, they degrade warmth. But CF guitars have changed and so have strings.

I've just put a set of D'Addario nylon core, hard tension, Ej46 strings on my X10-OSN (the only one on in the universe) and so far I'm pleased.

the nice thing about the hard tension is that they seem to tune much easier than the old cat-gut-like normal nylon strings. I suspect that the difference can be accounted for in both the design of the strings and the design of CF guitars.

As time goes by, I'll be trying a variety of strings on my guitars. So far, I have no specific recommendations other than do them all, and enjoy.

I used to hate string changing. I still do, but the new strings last a lot longer than those of the Old World, and when I make a change I try to enjoy the process. For example, in installing the EJ46 strings, I've played them in progression. The first E I played by itself, A-La Sea Sick Steve. that was fun.

And then I moved to two strings; that was also fun. I'm up to 6 strings and having a good time.

Hi Evan,
Thanks for the follow up and advice on the high tension version of strings. I suspect that coming from steel strings that I will feel at home with them. Like you... I have learned patience while tuning my uke ... Thank goodness that has only 4 strings... With the advent of head stock tuners and the stability of cf... The settling of strings is much easier!!! So now I patently wait for my np12 ... Which is expected to arrive this Friday...just in time for the long weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2016, 12:20 PM
Guest 928

Fixed:

I hope you enjoy your RS Parlor as much as I've enjoyed mine. I had previewed a prototype of the Parlor and had some harsh things to say. However, the production model is really sweet.

I did not, at first, like the fat neck, but the more I've played it, the more I've liked it. I share your anticipation and look forward to your impressions.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:44 AM

Thanks Evan.... your post reminds me of all our adventures together over the years. Like you I have bought high and sold low and have written off the difference as a rental fee. We have been fortunate to have worked with Michael, Ted, Joe, Alistair..ect over the years. Here is a list of those adventures for others who might be curious:

Emerald Guitars
* 2 X5os (k&K & b-band)
* x7os woody (b-band)
* Amicus (K&K)

Peavey
* Cargo Raw with elec (the guiatr that started it all for me)
* OX (elec)

Blackbird
* Steel Ryder(elec)
* L13 (K&K)
* BTU (K&K)
* Clara (K&K)

Rainsong
* Steel p12 (elec)
* Nylon p12 (elec) on its way

McPhearson
* 2KM(elec)

After all these years I have paired it down like you to just two keepers... thought I had it down to just one the KM until nylon string entered my world through my BTU uke...

It has been a fun ride ... but I am not skilled enough to play more then one guitar at a time.... funny how your ear evolved over time....
Old 05-26-2016, 10:19 AM

Good grief, Fixedgear, I had no idea! You've really covered the bases. no idea! Really covered the bases.

My whole carbon history is just my beloved Emerald X20.

This forum benefits greatly from explorers like you and Evan.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Guest 928

Fixed;

Holy Moly! What a survey. I've not tried as many CF guitars, but there have not been as many nylon string as steel string instruments. You have been really dedicated. Congratulations! Being first scout is a risky business.

We have been fortunate, I think, because carbon fiber instrument makers have had to work against 500 years of wooden guitar development and had a high bar to reach.

I don't know about you, but I have few indulgences. I am a conservative and I have always tried to live below my means. And now that I am on the back-side of hill, I can afford to support what I believe to be an important part of humanity; music.

the nice thing about this and Michael's forum, is that almost everyone here is moving toward a new frontier in music. Pretty neat stuff.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:19 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Fixed;

Holy Moly! What a survey. I've not tried as many CF guitars, but there have not been as many nylon string as steel string instruments. You have been really dedicated. Congratulations! Being first scout is a risky business.

We have been fortunate, I think, because carbon fiber instrument makers have had to work against 500 years of wooden guitar development and had a high bar to reach.

I don't know about you, but I have few indulgences. I am a conservative and I have always tried to live below my means. And now that I am on the back-side of hill, I can afford to support what I believe to be an important part of humanity; music.

the nice thing about this and Michael's forum, is that almost everyone here is moving toward a new frontier in music. Pretty neat stuff.
I have a very understanding wife.. :-) and it really has been my only vice... no golf or red sports cars...:-)

Also thought you would find interesting... had a quick chat with Outdoor Uke... I am a fan of their tenor ukes.... They are working on an outdoor guitar.... could this be the fruition of your long advocated suitcase guitar??? I can only imagine...given their history with ukes and nylon strings that it will be a small "tenor" like 6 string guitar with nylon strings....

What fun!!!
Old 05-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Guest 928

Thanks for the heads-up regarding Outdoor Uke--I'll keep my eyes open.

I wish Outdoor Uke the best of luck in the development of a suitcase guitar. I would not like it if it's like the guitaleles and tuned like a tenor Uke. The 4 suitcase guitars that I made had standard guitar tuning which I managed with a 19" scale. By using uke geared tuners I was able to keep the head stock very small and keep within the 24" overall length that I set as the goal.

Alistair did not think that there would be much of a market for a suitcase guitar but I've always felt that a lot of people who buy ukes for travel are really guitar players looking for the easiest transportable instrument.

And yes, having a wife willing to endure a bit of indulgence on the husband's part is a good thing.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:44 PM

I'm interested in this Outdoor uke, not to buy, but just in its development.

I once had a Clearwater ABS ukulele. It was very percussive. I haven't been a fan of the Outdoor uke youtube clips but they are constantly evolving. Will the guitar be plastic? I'm imagining it will be nylon string.

And to you Evan. I have a Cordoba mini and have it tuned to E standard and, for its size and price, sounds good. It's a real step up compared to the other guitaleles. The mini is my real travel/beach/park guitar. Although here in Europe, they won't let it on the plane as hand luggage
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 05-27-2016, 02:29 PM

Hi Sirwhale,

Yes... Have you tried the tenor uke... Very different animal then the original soprano... Or the cheaper abs plastic Ike's from kala...ect. Yes... Basically they have infused fiberglass into their plastic... They have fancy names for this process but it mellows the sound and creates a very satin appearance. Joe at blackbird... Uses mixed materials also... I.e. cf and Kevlar to get there mellow sound. Also strings like Evan has mentioned make a big difference . I use Worths clear with low g tunning. Worth does not use a wound low g string the sound very balanced and pleasing to my ears. In terms of the guitar... I would imagine they are scaling up their uke design which has been their trend since the first soprano uke.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Hi Evan,
Thanks for the follow up and advice on the high tension version of strings. I suspect that coming from steel strings that I will feel at home with them. Like you... I have learned patience while tuning my uke ... Thank goodness that has only 4 strings... With the advent of head stock tuners and the stability of cf... The settling of strings is much easier!!! So now I patently wait for my np12 ... Which is expected to arrive this Friday...just in time for the long weekend.

Hi Everyone,

Just heard from Rainsong and they ship the NP12 with D'Addario Pro Arte EJ44 Extra Hard Tension.

Like them but have little experience with other strings....

Chris
Old 05-31-2016, 12:39 PM

Hi Chris,
My Rainsong NP12 is wearing a set of Savarez 500CRJ. I like them better on this guitar than the D'adddario Pro Arte EJ44. I use the EJ44 on my Kenny Hill Torres Performance model.
Barb
Old 05-31-2016, 01:34 PM

Hi Barb,

Thanks a bunch.. will check them out!!!

Chris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber