The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-08-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Aculadd - you were so over the moon about that guitar, I felt kind of bad only being able to offer you one of mine to play afterwards. I could tell by the look on your face that in comparison, our guitars didn't have a chance. But I'm glad you liked it. John got some well deserved love this weekend.
Hmmmmm?????????????? Should I be worried????
Old 06-09-2015, 04:22 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Huge thanks to Bob Singer and all his friends who helped make this awesome festival possible. There were so many great guitars on display from friends from all over the world and we certainly had a great time connecting with friends and making new ones. I'm so happy that I got to leave with a beautiful sounding guitar from Big Hollow Guitars, even though I really wanted to have a guitar from pretty much every builder there. It was a fun time and we really enjoyed the extra's that Bob had in store such as dinner at Graceland. Thank you to everyone who got to participate in this show and I hope it happens again!

J.R. Rogers
AGF Owner and Founder
Old 06-09-2015, 04:35 PM

Default Agree...

JR - totally agree. Thanks Bob for the idea, the hard work and job well done. Great staff...a pleasure to work with. Can't wait for next time!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 06-09-2015, 05:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Hmmmmm?????????????? Should I be worried????
You should be worried because we charge extra for every question mark. no need for concern for you Tom. We've got you covered. I think even John would say that his 12 fret OO would have a hard time in comparison to a Brazilian SJ. You'll have the same look in your eyes as Aculadd soon enough!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 06-09-2015, 05:48 PM

Whewww! Thanks.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:25 PM

What an unbelievable experience.

So many fabulous luthiers and instruments under one roof. Big shout out to FE Tellier, who'se great playing guitars and incomparable personality may well have put him at the top of my short list when the time comes to commission a build. You are exactly the type of person I would want to work with. Also, mentions must go to Kathy Wingert who makes possibly the most amazingly beautiful guitars on the planet and Joel Michaud for the best fingerstyle guitar I have ever played.

Some of my favorite memories are from the song circles Saturday and Sunday nights in the lobby. Multi-talented, friendly people, beautiful guitars and great music. Among them, this guy with a tan and pony tail who jammed with us, improvising beautiful, complex harmonic lines and fast, precise solos, always in good taste and respectful of others playing. In the elevator, I asked what his name was. Michael Chapdelaine, he said. Googling his name explained a lot of what I had witnessed. That a world-class player would spend three hours jamming with us says a lot about the person.

Thanks to Kevin Pederson and his wife, as well as Tony Vines for the great conversation. Thanks to the McKnight family for organizing the Sunday Worship. Thanks to Macyn Taylor for the lobby concert, what a gem you are.

Hats off to John Osthoff who recognized me from the Montreal show several years ago. Still can't believe it.

Congratulations to Bog Singer and staff for a job well done. See you all June 2-3-4, 2017!
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Benoît Raby Étude classical (2013, Spruce, Indian Rosewood)
Old 06-09-2015, 09:52 PM

Default Memphis Acoustic Guitar Festival - 2015

I am still on overload from the festival. As a wannabe luthier and recovering lawyer, I came to the festival with a little trepidation, but was continually overwhelmed by the artistry, craftsmanship, generosity and warmth of everyone I met. I was initially hesitant to confess that I had finished my first guitar just days before the show, but everyone I told that story to responded with excitement and congratulations, and wanted to see my maiden effort.

Many thanks to Steve Sheriff for being my mentor and my friend. Your attention to detail and passion for your work has been an inspiration to me.

Aaron, it was great to finally meet you and room with you at the show. Thanks for sharing your compassion and love for all of creation.

Anders, you still had my favorite guitar of the show. I love the birdseye maple with the beveled bindings. I would like to incorporate that into a future guitar(s).

Tony Vines...you were a blessing to me. I love the simple beauty of your guitars, and the warm and sweet tone...much like your singing.

Erich Solomon...thanks for your kindness and great conversation at dinner, and thank your mom for introducing me to Mike Moss. Looks like we might get together and talk beer and guitars...two of my favorite subjects.

Bevin...great to meet you...stunning work on your guitars. Someday I want to come close to your craftsmanship.

Ken...thanks for your generosity, both in spiriir and in paying for meals!!! I hope you find Riddley Walker interesting and engaging.

Untold thanks to so many people. I am going to keep building guitars and hope that I see many of you at future events.

Tim Shaffer
Old 06-09-2015, 10:46 PM

Hi Tim,
It was a pleasure meeting you -- and that Anders guitar was something else, wasn't it. I felt he had the most original ideas at the show and I really look forward to seeing what else he comes up with -- and such a nice, humble guy as well.

I intend on sharing my thoughts in a separate thread but the one thing that struck me was just the caliber and quality of human beings that make up the lutherie community -- and the players as well. I can't recall ever meeting so many incredibly friendly people in one place. I had a lovely time.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post

Don't see this everyday
Monster of resonance with this guitar, I was very impressed.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Monster of resonance with this guitar, I was very impressed.
Kipp Krusa's Teardrop, Loved that one too.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

To Bob Singer,

To say, "The show and the entire weekend were great" seems all too simple, but ... 'tis true. It was great.

Thank you for everything. 2017 won't come soon enough.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:30 AM

I'd like to thank Bob Singer and his staff for all the hard work it took to start up a new guitar festival in a new location. It's a daunting task. The venue was expansive and beautiful. There was ample room to view the instruments and talk with luthiers. Luthiers continue to raise the bar and only at events like this can you see such a range of what is now available. It was a fine mix of the new and old. And of course it was great to see old friends and meet new ones. After the forum members see the pictures of the event we'll probably get more of them to visit Memphis in the future. And there's always Graceland.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:02 PM

Congratulations to Bob Singer and all I've heard about a wonderful new acoustic guitar event! Sorry I couldn't be there myself, but have heard glowing reports, and of sales and new connections and the ever widening circle of new friends and builders and players and buyers in the community. Rest well, Bob! Hope to see you there in 2017.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:38 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Huge thanks to Bob Singer and all his friends who helped make this awesome festival possible. There were so many great guitars on display from friends from all over the world and we certainly had a great time connecting with friends and making new ones. I'm so happy that I got to leave with a beautiful sounding guitar from Big Hollow Guitars, even though I really wanted to have a guitar from pretty much every builder there. It was a fun time and we really enjoyed the extra's that Bob had in store such as dinner at Graceland. Thank you to everyone who got to participate in this show and I hope it happens again!

J.R. Rogers
AGF Owner and Founder
I'm surprised you were able to limit yourself to just one. I was like a kid in a candy store. You certainly got lost in that Bamberg Baritone!

All kidding aside, it was a pleasure to meet you, and I give big kudos to both Bob Singer for a great festival as well as you for collecting all us guitar nuts in one virtual place!

Ken, it was a pleasure meeting you as well. Beautiful Pink Ivory guitar.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Aculadd - you were so over the moon about that guitar, I felt kind of bad only being able to offer you one of mine to play afterwards. I could tell by the look on your face that in comparison, our guitars didn't have a chance. But I'm glad you liked it. John got some well deserved love this weekend.
Well, that's not exactly true. I played a couple of your guitars that I really liked, all were excellent. That 12 fret just really spoke to me, and I would have wanted to have a longer conversation, or even a long term relationship, but she was already spoken for.

Last edited by Aculadd; 06-11-2015 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Changed wording

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop