The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 AM

Default practice routines/exercises

I have been playing for about a year and a half and do some scales chords and a few licks, was wondering if anyone had any practice routines they did that helped them get past that early plateau of just doing the same things over and over and really make some good profess

thanks in advance
Old 02-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymags View Post
I have been playing for about a year and a half and do some scales chords and a few licks, was wondering if anyone had any practice routines they did that helped them get past that early plateau of just doing the same things over and over and really make some good profess

thanks in advance
You don't play any actual complete songs? Learn to play some songs you like.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-27-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Quote:

thanks in advance
You don't play any actual complete songs? Learn to play some songs you like.
+1 pick some songs that you like (and challenge you) and get to it, I stopped thinking in terms of scales and theory and became a better player in a matter of months!
Old 02-27-2014, 11:08 AM

Agree with the others. Learn to play songs all the way through. IMO it's more rewarding than learning scales,licks etc....not that there's anything wrong with learning scales or licks
Pick some simple 3-4 chord songs that you like to get you started. Play along with the recorded version for a reference point. This will help your timing, sense of rhythm etc...
After you get comfortable enough with a song remove the training wheels and play it without the recoreded version.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Dan - Charter Member

You might want to look at Justin's suggestions:
http://justinguitar.com/en/PC-000-Practice.php

Also his courses have suggested practice schedules at each stage:
http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php (BC-119, BC-129, etc.)
http://justinguitar.com/en/IM-000-In...iateMethod.php (IM-119, etc.)

I have found these useful because they segment the practice time and make sure that you are practicing towards goals for a certain length of time.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:57 PM

If you are interested in performing at all, I suggest you look into open mic sessions in your local area. Attend and get a feel for the vibe; they are generally very supportive and fun. Set your goal to be able to perform 1 or 2 songs...keep it simple, 3-4 chords and strum it out. That will inspire your practice and help you focus on learning new tunes and new things. Once you get a couple songs down, try another, and another until you start filling your "song bag" of tunes you can play and sing at home, by the campfire, open mic, etc. I guide my students to apply the technical stuff to real-world tunes to play and have fun with...and keep adding to and expanding that collection. Otherwise, it's easy to get stuck in a rut.

Last edited by StringFive; 02-27-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:47 PM

thanks everyone thats great advice, it is embarrassing when people hear you play and they ask what songs can you play and I'm like well i can play parts of a bunch of songs. i just ordered a Jack johnson strum and sing book and my goal is to get all those songs down. thanks for the advice
Old 02-27-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
thanks everyone thats great advice, it is embarrassing when people hear you play and they ask what songs can you play and I'm like well i can play parts of a bunch of songs. i just ordered a Jack johnson strum and sing book and my goal is to get all those songs down. thanks for the advice
My advice is to go with learning some simple songs also, and try to do it visually and aurally rather than by reading.
Youtube is a god send for watching artists perform their songs stripped down and acoustically. Rather than read the chords straight out of a book, watch the artist play it. Use the book or online chord guide as a backup at first (in-case you've no idea what is going on). So much more information can be gleamed from a video than from a book. Remember to use your ears.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 03-02-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Willy, as another person suggested above, save yourself a whole lot of fumbling around... go to Justin Guitar. Start with his Beginners Course. Even if you think you know something, do the lessons. Most importantly, PLAY THE SONGS he teaches with each lesson. Even if you don't like the song, that doesn't matter... he chooses songs to reinforce something in the current and previous lessons. The songs are the most difficult part, and the most important part, of his method.

I think the thing that sidetracks most people from learning to play is that there is TOO MUCH information on the internet. The best advice anyone will give you: Pick one Guru and stay with their program for at least 6 months. Justin is in my opinion the best of the Beginner Gurus.

One more thing... take your time. If you learn to play and stay with it, you have your whole life to continue improving. Getting thru the first 2-4 years is the most difficult time... once you reach the level where you can learn a song quickly and play it well, that is when things really get fun.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 03-02-2014 at 06:57 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write