The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-07-2012, 04:24 PM

Default String spacing question

Is there a "standard" practice for string spacing? Is it equal distance between the string centers or is it equal gaps between the strings? Or is it strictly personal preference? I'm not sure I could tell the difference but I am going to attempt to make a new nut for one of my guitars with wider string spacing and I want to do it right (whatever that is.)
Old 07-07-2012, 04:53 PM

I would guess that equal distance from the middle of the string was always the standard. I was taught to measure 3mm from either side of the nut , mark with pencil then adjust a compass until you can walk it from one mark to the other with the right number of stops and with each turn of the compass marked along the way. Stewart MacDonald sell a gauge for equal distance from the edge of the sting with multiple choices for differerent nut widths. Im thinking of checking one out myself on my next builds.
Jeff
Old 07-07-2012, 05:14 PM

I do it with equal spacing between strings(equal gaps). Set your two outer strings. Measure your ADGB strings and add diameters together. Subtract this from the distance between your two E strings.Divide this by 5 and you have the spacing between each string.Do the measuring with dial calipers.
Tom
Old 07-09-2012, 05:02 AM

Both ways are fine. I often use a hybrid approach - mostly center to center with a slight adjustment for the wound strings' thicknesses. If it is adjusted with full compensation for each string thickness then some sensitive players can notice the wider center to center spacing between the thicker bass strings. 12 string guitars require even some more careful thought and layout.

Long and short - there is no wrong way. Choose what you feel is correct and see how you like it. You can always make another if you don't like the feel or are curious to feel what each way is like.

When you start cutting the slots I recommend you check the spacing as you go deeper since it is easy (especially for the thicker files) for the files to drift away from the center of the mark.

Good luck and post your results.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 07-09-2012, 08:38 AM

I would go to great lengths to find a string spacing that you like, regardless of what pattern it turns out to be. I make nuts four ways: even center, even gap, increment toward bass, and increment toward treble. And each of those four ways was the preference of different people I made nuts for.

I don't regard this an issue of playing a spacing that's accepted as right; I think it's more an issue of identifying what's most comfortable to you, and identifying what that is, then getting someone to make it. Or make it yourself, if you're inclined to give it a go. We're here to help if you need it.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench68 View Post
I would go to great lengths to find a string spacing that you like, regardless of what pattern it turns out to be.
I don't know what I like, I just know that 1 3/8" between the E-string centers it too tight even with my relatively small hands. I think with another .050" it will be fine and I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference between even gaps or even spacing. That's what I've going to shoot for.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
I don't know what I like, I just know that 1 3/8" between the E-string centers it too tight even with my relatively small hands. I think with another .050" it will be fine and I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference between even gaps or even spacing. That's what I've going to shoot for.
I don't think It's your fault you're not certain what you like. You most likely have limited or no access to a selection of known spacings. I would advise caution with some of your assumptions, too. I feel cramped at 1-7/16 even center, but 1-7/16 incremented to treble is my favorite pattern. But even more important, an even center pattern .050" wider strains my wrist. Wrist safety is my first concern in making a nut for someone, and I found it sometimes takes very little fit error to injure some older and banged up hands (like MINE! ).

If you know of a guitar you can play for hours on end without wrist fatigue or pain, it probably fits you pretty well, and would be worth copying. If you don't know of such an instrument, it is possible to get an idea of what your hand needs before committing to a finished nut. I always have several nuts of various spacings in my shop, but if they don't give the fit I need, I will measure finger spreads, and fabricate a test nut. Rinse and repeat until I get the right spacing. And what is that right spacing? When the player closes his/her eyes, and shows visible amazement at landing chords with strings dead center of the fingertips.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
I don't think It's your fault you're not certain what you like. You most likely have limited or no access to a selection of known spacings.
I have 4 acoustics, 2 with 1.75" nut width (with different string spacing) and 2 with 1 11/16" nuts. My Takamine originally had narrow string spacing on its 1 11/16" neck so I had a new nut made and the spacing is similar to a Martin. That is much more comfortable for me. The one I want to "fix" is a Walden with 1 3/8" between E string centers. Since I play mostly 1st position chords, it feels cramped. Based on my experience with the Tak I think if I can get another .05" or so spread, it will be better. Also based on the Tak, getting .025" closer to the fret ends should not be a problem. I don't have any problems with the strings falling off the frets. I just need to get a couple nut blanks and give it a try.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
I have 4 acoustics, 2 with 1.75" nut width (with different string spacing) and 2 with 1 11/16" nuts. My Takamine originally had narrow string spacing on its 1 11/16" neck so I had a new nut made and the spacing is similar to a Martin. That is much more comfortable for me. The one I want to "fix" is a Walden with 1 3/8" between E string centers. Since I play mostly 1st position chords, it feels cramped. Based on my experience with the Tak I think if I can get another .05" or so spread, it will be better. Also based on the Tak, getting .025" closer to the fret ends should not be a problem. I don't have any problems with the strings falling off the frets. I just need to get a couple nut blanks and give it a try.
Ah, so you do know what you like; the hard part is done then. It sounds like you are both willing and able to do the nut work on your own, and you have a pretty good idea of what you want to accomplish. I recommend you break out the super glue and baking soda, plug up the existing nut, and cut a pattern to try out while your new blanks are in transit. Since you like the Tak spacing, duplicate it (or scale it) on your Walden. I strongly recommend getting measurements and laying out the new pattern with digital or dial calipers, or a string spacing rule. There are some printable rules on the 'net, and there is even one somewhere here on AGF.

You are probably ahead of me on this, but it is much easier to do this work accurately with the nut out of the guitar. The super glue and baking soda works surprisingly well, and is more than adequate for temporary use.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you are both willing and able to do the nut work on your own.
Willing, absolutely. Able remains to be seen.

Thanks for your help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair