The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-02-2010, 02:26 PM

Default Making it playable

Hi all,

So I'm home for the Easter break and I picked up my electric guitar (first time in 4+ years). This guitar is/was my semi-mod guitar and I seem to have left it in a semi-working state.

I can unload pictures in a bit, but as it stands here is where I need help:

The action is really high, I changed the nut out top graphite (before). So I would like to know what I fix first and how?

I plan to take the nut out again, find the old plastic one and file it accordingly. Next, check neck relief, then adjust the bridge height (adjustable one on a tune-o-matic).

How do I really look for the neck relief? I read a few things here and there, but I can't get solid advice. Next, am I doing this in the correct order? Nut, then relief, then bridge height? or is it a combo?

Sorry if it's a hectic post, I'm running late for some meetings.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:57 PM

www.frets.com

there are many articles on setup - awesome stuff

*everything* is a tone control
Old 04-02-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
www.frets.com

there are many articles on setup - awesome stuff
That's a great site! Forgot what it was called. Hope it helps me out
Old 04-02-2010, 07:17 PM

So it looks like I have to deal with the nut first, then battle the truss rod and the bridge at the same time. Ah I can't wait to get this into a playable spot (if it can).
Old 04-03-2010, 03:36 AM

I'd recommend you do the relief first, you want to have the relief set correctly before you start doing other work. Think of it as setting a baseline for your other adjustments, you want the neck to be stable before working on the nut. That way you can get accurate measurements of the action at the nut as you work on it. Then work on the nut and next adjust the saddle. You may have to go back and forth between adjusting the nut and saddle a few times to dial everything in the way you want.
Regards,
Ed
Old 04-03-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioed View Post
I'd recommend you do the relief first, you want to have the relief set correctly before you start doing other work. Think of it as setting a baseline for your other adjustments, you want the neck to be stable before working on the nut. That way you can get accurate measurements of the action at the nut as you work on it. Then work on the nut and next adjust the saddle. You may have to go back and forth between adjusting the nut and saddle a few times to dial everything in the way you want.
Regards,
Ed
Thanks. I started fixing the relief last night and this morning, it's improving, so I'll see where I am at. I always use to be scared to touch the truss rod, but it's so safe if you're careful.

The nut filing is going to be the hardest part since 12's don't fit nicely into a pre cut nut.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair