The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 09:05 AM

Default Sinker D-18’s at Gruhn’s

I’m looking hard at one of these D-18’s. It would be primarily played in a blues grass setting, but I also want it to be able to respond to a lighter touch for occasional finger style playing. Anyone have experience with these that could let me know if I’m on the right track?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:10 AM

Haven’t played these, but I am a D-18 aficionado, and can confirm that a good D-18 can nail both of those roles. Beat on the street is that these are very good (whether due to the magic wood or the added attention they get in the custom shop), so my guess is that it could do it. Only caveat is that anything new may need a bit of play in to have the responsiveness that you’d really want for fingerstyle. But it’s a fun road and flatpcking should get you quickly on track!

Might be worth a call to them. I worked with Glen Tracy on my last purchase from them and found him very helpful and descriptive. If you can’t lay hands on them, would be nice to have someone shoot them out to find one with the characteristics for which you’re looking.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb83 View Post
I’m looking hard at one of these D-18’s. It would be primarily played in a blues grass setting, but I also want it to be able to respond to a lighter touch for occasional finger style playing. Anyone have experience with these that could let me know if I’m on the right track?
Did they quote you a price on one?
Old 03-25-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
There is a long list of happy buyers of a Gruhn Sinkers over on UMGF. You might enjoy reading a couple of threads over there. These guitars have been universally loved by their owners. I don’t recall reading of a single person who got rid of a Sinker because they didn’t like it. I have a Martin Sinker that I designed myself. It’s a great guitar but there was a lot of work, wait and issues along the way. If I had it to do over again, I would have just bought a Gruhn. That would have saved a lot of heartburn and a few bucks.

If you are a serious buyer, call them and ask for Rob, the sales manager. He will help you in your selection and even pick one out of the herd that he thinks best matches your needs. I assume you’ve looked through their inventory. You can also subscribe to their daily inventory updates. It is very impressive to see the quantity and quality of guitars coming into that shop.

Also, be sure to read George Gruhn’s white paper on Sinkers on their website. No higher praise has left the lips of mankind.

Last edited by IndyHD28; 03-25-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:32 AM

Last summer I got to go to Gruhn's and had access to the upstairs portion of his kingdom. It was a magnificent experience to see guitar history and handle some of the instruments famous guitarists have had. Mr. Gruhn is a very interesting person to just sit and have coffee with. Good luck in your selection.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:53 PM

Anybody else get the "we don't discount our sinkers" treatment from Gruhn?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Last I looked the D-18 Sinker's at Gruhn were $3750.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
Anybody else get the "we don't discount our sinkers" treatment from Gruhn?
That’s because they already have them listed at just a few percentage points above the max discount. IMHO, they deserve a few extra points of margin having taken the risk to order over 200 custom Sinkers not knowing if there would be a market for them or not. Since these are all custom shop builds, each guitar will have a quote sheet with list price and specs from the factory. Gruhn should be willing to share this with you. If you find their asking price is around 65% of list, you’re doing OK. Believe me, I designed and ordered my own through my local dealer. What a PITA! Add in 8 months of waiting plus spec mods they forgot to include and I would buy from Gruhn myself if I had it to do over again.

Bottom line, Gruhn can ask what they want because they basically have this market cornered. Pay them their price. You won’t regret it and you will forget about it as soon as you have one of these excellent guitars in your hands.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:33 PM

Order placed on a D-18 with a really beautiful back and sides. I had the salesperson play four I was interested in and pick out the best one. I’ll give a full report after I decide if I’m keeping it. Unfortunately, if I’d love it as much as I’m thinking I will, by beloved 1945 J-45 may have to find a new home.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

I would highly recommend a trip out to the shop to purchase one. I know not everyone can do this but if you're buying a 4k guitar, a round trip flight to Nashville is nothing. The bonus is you get to hang and talk with George Gruhn.

I almost made it out of Gruhns without purchasing one, until I went upstairs. I found my 0000-18 12 fret and spent a few hours playing and chatting with George. Well worth the price of a plane ticket! I did end up shipping it home as I did not have to pay sales tax this way. All the sinkers I played that day were really great. I also had a D-18 GE sinker that was built in 2012 and sounded amazing.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:44 AM

I’ve thought of this many times and now I HAVE to ask: Could someone please explain to me what at “sinker” is?

I feed I am missing out on something...
Old 03-26-2019, 12:48 AM

Ooops... Never mind... Google is my friend!

https://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/f...rom-the-depths
Old 03-26-2019, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

I have a custom D18 I ordered through a dealer... non sinker, but really swell mahogany and high quality sitka top with no runout, full mahogany neck etc... and some nice inlay work.

Lifetime guitar for me. But I waited a really long time for it. For $600 more I certainly would have considered hard the Gruhn Sinkers. I would love one, but not at the expense of swapping mine.

Seriously if you are the type who gets a guitar, loves it and doesnt swap out often, I would go for it. I think this is the type of guitar that would even cure a swapper.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Order placed on a D-18 with a really beautiful back and sides. I had the salesperson play four I was interested in and pick out the best one. I’ll give a full report after I decide if I’m keeping it. Unfortunately, if I’d love it as much as I’m thinking I will, by beloved 1945 J-45 may have to find a new home.
Congrats! Can’t wait for your reaction. Guarantee you’ll love it. Just spent an hour on mine. Outstanding! Oh, and you’ll become a dedicated soundhole sniffer with this aroma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I think this is the type of guitar that would even cure a swapper.
What it does is, completely and permanently cover the mahogany base in your collection. No more Hog gas because it just doesn’t get any better than this.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I really wish you guys would stop all this talk about Sinker D-18's?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion