The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-06-2019, 05:15 AM

Question Cordoba GK Pro Sound?

Can you get a warm classical sound out of one of these guitars or is it more like the telecaster in the electric guitar world, i've not been able to get my hands on one yet.
Rob
Old 02-06-2019, 06:10 AM

Well, a lot of the sound you will get will depend on the strings you decide to put on the GK Pro. I've got the GK Pro with Rosewood sides and back.

If you plan on plugging it in, you could dial in any sound...

The GK models with cypress sides and back will not give you the classical sound that you are asking about.

I've had mine for about 4 years now. It's not quite the warm classical sound as a standard classical guitar, but it's very close. It's extremely versatile and I can play a number of different genre's on it.. Finger style jazz is awesome on it.

The inherent design of the GK (Gypsy King) can give it a bit of a flamenco sound to it. But if you tweak the neck relief and string height a little bit, it's as close to classical as you can get.

Some folks will tell that any nylon string guitar with a cutaway isn't "classical".

2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-06-2019, 11:34 AM

I don't have a GK pro to test, but do have the original GK (Cypress), as well as a Cordoba Fusion Orchestra Pro.

The Fusion comes in different wood combinations, and is considered a crossover guitar. Mine is Spruce/Rosewood, and the same can be had in the GK Pro I think.

So perhaps this sound sample of my Fusion will help. The guitar has an onboard pickup, but I'm not using it here. I'm using the iRig acoustic you see clipped to the soundhole. The only thing I've done to modify the original signal is add a bit of Reverb after the fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKkpQOWpoeU

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 02-07-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Well, a lot of the sound you will get will depend on the strings you decide to put on the GK Pro. I've got the GK Pro with Rosewood sides and back.

If you plan on plugging it in, you could dial in any sound...

The GK models with cypress sides and back will not give you the classical sound that you are asking about.

I've had mine for about 4 years now. It's not quite the warm classical sound as a standard classical guitar, but it's very close. It's extremely versatile and I can play a number of different genre's on it.. Finger style jazz is awesome on it.

The inherent design of the GK (Gypsy King) can give it a bit of a flamenco sound to it. But if you tweak the neck relief and string height a little bit, it's as close to classical as you can get.

Some folks will tell that any nylon string guitar with a cutaway isn't "classical".

Yup. Traditionalists/purists exist in all genres and don't accept change. I can say that after owning many nylon classicals and flamencos... there is plenty of crossover. No, my GK Pros and F10 aren't quite as warm, full-bodied, and loud as the C12 SP/IN was for the traditional classical tones. But they are all easily close enough and frankly, if a competant player is playing... that makes a far greater difference than what he's playing. I find most classicals to play more stiffly than flamenco oriented models. Which is why the latter is generally all I play anymore.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Everyone has unique ears, a unique mind, and unique taste, so best to try one yourself. Of course sometimes that's easier said than done, so it makes sense to ask for other opinions.

I really like the GK Pro! It has a thin neck, slightly narrower nut width than a standard classical guitar, and low action, which makes it easy to play and as lightning fast as the individual is up to. When played with a strong touch the guitar definitely has that flamenco sound. With a softer touch, some players would find it ok for a "classical" guitar sound, many would not, especially dedicated "classical" guitarists, IMHO.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

I have the lam cypress GK Studio and love it, especially for what I paid.

I've been thinking of trying a rosewood Pro, but have never found one to try out. The video reviews haven't swayed me as half sound great and half so/so.
Could be the recordings.

This demo by Matt Palmer sounds great to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-4S3K8iJoE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical