The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamburmese View Post
Hey Trevor - with your snow-shoveling abilities you should visit and demo them - snow every week since November is not supposed to happen in Maryland but we had snow yet again last night….(fortunately only an inch)
That's all I need - even more snow to shovel than Mother Nature is dumping on my own driveway. Then again, the old tennis elbow notwithstanding, I might make some pocket change if I hire out my shovel arm to some wealthy Americans!!!
Day 14: Actually got a lot of practice in today while waiting for all the Logic Pro X loops and midi files to download and then install. It took about 6 hours.
So I hope to finish all the downloads (lesson files) tomorrow, do some tracking on Wednesday, mixing Thursday and upload a version of Manhã de Cranaval to youtube on Friday. I know that's past the 14 day practice challenge but then recording and mixing isn't instrument practice, right?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Thanks to J-Doug for getting this going. I wouldn't have gotten this far without the challenge.
I'm glad you enjoyed it and got something out of it!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I'd love to go with garageband as it sounds like its the easiest for the technologically thwarted, but I have to upgrade my OS to get the current version - and with my several years old macbook pro, that itself can present a number of challenges. So has anyone got experience purchasing an older version from Amazon (I need '11) and made it work?
Hello creamburmese, I too had problems running GarageBand with my old OS 10.5.8 on my 2010 white macbook. The edit pane would often not show up at all or else random functions would appear then disappear when I clicked in or out of the Inspector. An Apple techie (you know, the kids in the blue tea shirts in the Apple Stores) told me that I needed to add more RAM to my computer. Apple Stores won't sell extra RAM so I had to look for an Apple specialty shop in my area. I found one, bought 6 GB of RAM and it worked. The Edit functions all magically appeared every time I clicked the Inspector icon. Then I discovered that to operate iMovie 11 (the version I needed for the visual wave-forms) I had to upgrade my OS to Mountain Lion 10.8.5..
I was able to access that upgrade in the online App store on my laptop. So far everything is working but I do keep my fingers crossed (makes guitar playing tougher, but hey, c'est la vie!).
Old 02-11-2014, 03:37 AM

Well I didn't really give this the time it needed but I have managed to get a recording done and posted.
https://soundcloud.com/richard-judge...blues4/s-ljRMk

It should have more variety but I'm pleased enough just to have got something recorded. Hopefully this will get me doing a few more.
(and it's still very quiet.)

Old 02-11-2014, 06:14 AM

I might have to partake in this in a few days since my tendinitis has resolved.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM

Congratulations to all those who got something recorded (from one who has not yet succeeded). I really enjoyed listening to all the clips, though probably if I ever do get something recorded I would be embarrassed to post it Anyway, I ordered an older version of garageband that is supposed to be compatible with my mac OS so maybe one day in the near future ….

Doug - I bet your last day doldrums were because of the pressure of the big finale - your next practice is sure to be fantastic! Thanks for organizing, and though I don't need help to encourage me to practice, l certainly do on the recording front. I may not yet have succeeded, but I'm a darn sight closer than I was at Christmas (the boxes are now open, everything is connected - it looks official, and I did briefly get something onto my computer before it all fell apart.. ) Not only that, I could see that recording really gives feedback on issues that are not obvious to me when I'm playing, so it's a worthwhile endeavor. I'll keep at it!

Cheers
Julie
Old 02-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Doug - I bet your last day doldrums were because of the pressure of the big finale - your next practice is sure to be fantastic! Thanks for organizing, and though I don't need help to encourage me to practice, l certainly do on the recording front
Hi Julie,

Even though I wasn't supposed to practice last night I did sneak a few minutes with Shuffle Rag and it went really well so there you go. The bad is usually followed by the good for me.

I'm very pleased by how much you guys have enjoyed this thread and how motivated you all were. Watch for another challenge some time soon!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 PM

Default Success!

I did it! Several crashes of Garageband later I got my 20sec "Lullaby" recorded. I know it's nothing to write home about, but (as I remind myself) it's a method for me to monitor progress, so that hopefully one day I can look back and say, "see I really have improved!"

https://soundcloud.com/user23433053/lullaby
Old 02-13-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I did it! Several crashes of Garageband later I got my 20sec "Lullaby" recorded. I know it's nothing to write home about, but (as I remind myself) it's a method for me to monitor progress, so that hopefully one day I can look back and say, "see I really have improved!"

https://soundcloud.com/user23433053/lullaby
Sounds good...congratulations!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:20 PM

Ok, here's my shot at Sweet Jivi* Mama, mistakes a*d all. I spilled tea o* my key*oard a*d several letters will *ot work. You ca* guess which o*es.

https://soundcloud.com/user215599590/sweetjivi-mama

Erik
Old 02-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Congrats on getting it posted! Now to fix the keyboard
Old 03-05-2014, 05:30 PM

Sorry, I never got around to posting a video until today.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:13 PM

Good job.... !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write