The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 PM

Default Typical saddle slot depth?

I got a cheap Chinese UST to try out. The piezo element is encased in rubber and is about .100" thick. The saddle slot in my Walden is only .122" deep at the E strings so I can't use the pickup. Just wondering if this an unusually shallow depth for a saddle slot and if so, what would be more typical? I realize that the pickup element is unusually thick. I guess I got what I paid for.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 PM

Normally you have to re-rout the slot to accommodate the UST.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-Had View Post
Normally you have to re-rout the slot to accommodate the UST.
During my time at the shop in Toronto, we have never had to re-route for a UST. Rather, the option chosen was to lower the saddle height. If the bridge wood under the saddle is too thin, then the only wood holding the saddle slot from wedging open is the joined wood on each end of the saddle slot. I can easily understand, however, that in some cases, slightly deepening the saddle slot could be safe and effective.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 AM

Was basing my response on the OP's comment that the saddle slot was .122 deep and UST was .1 thick. That would leave only .022 for the saddle. Way to thin in my opinion.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:19 PM

I like to leave about 1/16th of bridge under the saddle. Having only .122" of saddle in the slot seems to be too little in my opinion. In this case, I am with Ben-Had and I would deepen the saddle slot.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_NYC View Post
I like to leave about 1/16th of bridge under the saddle. Having only .122" of saddle in the slot seems to be too little in my opinion. In this case, I am with Ben-Had and I would deepen the saddle slot.
This is a cheap guitar and a cheap UST. Rather than spend money on routing the saddle slot, I will look for a UST with a thinner element or just not bother. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:11 PM

Why not a piezo pickup? There are good, inexpensive ones out there. I forget the brand but one company has $20 piezo systems. JJB maybe?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair