The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-23-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

What a stunning work of art...VERY CLASSY! The black really sets off the beauty of the woods.

As silly as this may sound, it reminds me of a Tuxedo... I do not know why, it just has a very "formal" look. Classy in every way.

I look forward to hearing some sound clips.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 05-23-2019, 02:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
... As silly as this may sound, it reminds me of a Tuxedo... I do not know why, it just has a very "formal" look. Classy in every way...
Thank you.

Your comment reminds me of when we first started selling guitars and the owners began to ask me to do some of the aesthetic design with or for them. I would become a human questionnaire on the relationship the guitar would have with them. I wanted to know if the guitar was to be a best friend for a certain amount of time? A wedding gift to oneself to be played in a wedding and the 50th anniversary? A weekend camping partner? A memory of someone you miss? A new friend for life? A college friend you plan to see once every 5 years? An instrument you plan to play at the bar or is this being played in your place of worship? Maybe it will only be the favorite piece of furniture that will be at the end of the couch to be seen or only occasionally to be heard? Maybe you want it to match your dogs coloring so it can become her friend, too. Guitars are special to each of us for so many reasons! So many questions are asked, but the answers let us know what woods to use and where you can cut costs, but also where you might not want to take a short cut. I remember one customer guided my thoughts more to the area that he wanted his guitar to look like it is in a tux this week, but it better be able to stand up with the guys on stage when the party starts for the rest of its life.

As we search for woods or just hang around the shop to 'tinker" with woods of different lands Tim and I are always intrigued with the difference in requests from one customer to the other. Some guys consider their guitars a great work of art. We don't create trees but sometimes the woods make eyes pop by the shock of the odd pattern or its amazing beauty. Of course, some woods are so amazingly beautiful but the sound is that of a cardboard thud that can make you grit your teeth, squint your eyes and cringe.

Tim and I like our job. I get to see the "real person" in our customers even if we never meet face to face. He gets to make their guitar as close as he can to the instrument they desire in the manner he sees fit.

I guess I don't need to pipe up in this thread. Our customer will pick his guitar up tomorrow afternoon and will soon be gone. I admit that we like the sound of this guitar. We invite all customers to send a clip of their guitar (no singing) so our webmaster can put it on the McKnight guitar site. It's always nice to hear McKnight guitars on AGF threads so we can all talk between ourselves.

As I am sure it is true with all luthiers and tag-along employees or wives like me we can admit it's just nice to smell the fresh cut woods.

Thank you to each of you who have joined the McKnight guitar family even if only for the few moments you joined us here.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tim, Mary, that's fantastic. Beautiful looking instrument!
Isn't it exciting installing some Rodgers tuning machines? They never fail to impress.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-24-2019, 07:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Tim, Mary, that's fantastic. Beautiful looking instrument!
Isn't it exciting installing some Rodgers tuning machines? They never fail to impress.

Steve
Oh my, yes. Steve, you are right! Each set of Rodgers tuners that has passed through our shop are so detailed with beautiful design. Definitely a desired piece of functional art.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 05-24-2019, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Smile Beautifully expressed, Mary

Mary, you are a true artist.

Your description of working with your fortunate clients is so well put!!!

May the two of you continue to bless many with such beautiful instruments.

Carry on and have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-24-2019, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Mary, you are a true artist.

Your description of working with your fortunate clients is so well put!!!

May the two of you continue to bless many with such beautiful instruments.

Carry on and have FUN

Paul
And may I be so bold as to second this comment, Paul. I so appreciate Mary and Tim's contributions to the AGF and to the rest of the guitar world.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-27-2019, 05:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you. We feel so humbly blessed by your kind words.

[email protected]
Old 05-27-2019, 06:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

By the way, for those of you who are signing up for the #12 McJam which takes place next month, the owner of this guitar has informed us he has moved state side and will be attending the McJam. He is looking forward to having others play his guitar in private and during open mic so he can hear it from a different angle.

Any volunteers?

[email protected]
Old 06-06-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Quick NGD update

This will be short and sweet. I plan to attend the upcoming McJam festivities and afterwards will post an official NGD thread in the General section. I wrote up a detailed NGD and added many pictures, only to have the whole thing deleted when I clicked submit. Next time I'll do my write up on a Word doc and just cut and paste.
Since the McJam is just over two weeks away, I decided to wait until then. I hope to get some video or recordings as well as comments from those who get to play it.
So, I did travel to Morral and pick it up about 12 days ago. It absolutely meets and exceeds my expectations. Tonally, it is loud, sustaining, a very full, thick piano-like quality. Also, it has a remarkable dynamic range. Playability is perfect and as easy to play as any guitar I've played.

Here are a couple more pictures:

Instruments:
2022 Dake Traphagen 12F Slope Dread--Torrefied Carpathian Spruce/Snakewood
2016 Darren Hippner "Torres" classical model--German Spruce/Pernambuco

Commissioned:
mid-2024 Michel Aboudib MA-J Fanfret--Western Red Cedar/Bois de Rose
late-2024 Michel Aboudib--TBD

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 06-06-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

In two weeks we'll begin seeing a few new customers attending the McJam. I have put a mini schedule together so there will be a few organized minutes. Rodger has double checked my plan. The music will float from this corner to that throughout the weekend. Tim's work bench will be appreciated by a few. The CNC will be seen and explained on Friday and then a session will complete the project on Saturday. Although the hoses has been moved to exhaust noise to the attic earplugs are available so be sure to ask if you desire them. I imagine Cigarfan and Cafeguy will be the right hand men and also make sure music stays in the air. Folks are welcome to bring food and door prizes of any kind. Cooks will volunteer to cook. Nancy, Kurt and Julie will be around to help me wing what is wingable and it always works out well.

Until then I am the pressure washing queen. Birds will always enjoy our fence far too much. Neighbors already gave double takes when the odd neighbor lady was outside pressure washing the sidewalks and concrete driveway. Though McJammers won't even notice at least I know it's clean and Tim has learned to tolerate this quirk in me very well ... or not.

We will see you in 2 weeks!

[email protected]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop