The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-05-2019, 02:15 PM
Eric Skye

Default 1931 Gibson L5

This 1931 Gibson L5 belongs to one of my students. Really love this guitar. Here's a little Jimmy Webb tune https://youtu.be/KJnvI46e5R8

Old 04-06-2019, 03:55 AM

Oh my. How did they acquire it? What is known about the tailpiece and bridge since both appear unoriginal?

Covet. A dot-neck L-5 is my ultimate - the apex guitar design, tonally, responsively and aesthetically. Thanks for sharing.

You sound amazing as always. How does it feel vs your sig flattop? The ergonomics of an archtop have been fascinating for me to explore - I like how they can take/prefer a heavy hand, and how the tone changes when picking/strumming up and down the neck - different dynamics vs a flattop.
If you could ever do your stunning renditions of So What or All Blues on that guitar, oy, would I want to hear that!!

Last edited by WordMan; 04-06-2019 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:56 AM

I really enjoyed that. Huge note choices on one of my all time favorite songs. Really nice spaces and voicings. Well done, but I am certain you have been told that previously. I wonder how much influence the use of that instrument, played in the particular arrangement.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 04-06-2019, 08:38 AM

By the way, didn’t Gibson switch to block inlays in 1929? You sure that’s not a ‘28? So cool.

http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson2.html#l5 This collector’s website says yes, 1929.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:39 AM

Beautiful guitar and performance.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Oh my. How did they acquire it? What is known about the tailpiece and bridge since both appear unoriginal?

Covet. A dot-neck L-5 is my ultimate - the apex guitar design, tonally, responsively and aesthetically. Thanks for sharing.

You sound amazing as always. How does it feel vs your sig flattop? The ergonomics of an archtop have been fascinating for me to explore - I like how they can take/prefer a heavy hand, and how the tone changes when picking/strumming up and down the neck - different dynamics vs a flattop.
If you could ever do your stunning renditions of So What or All Blues on that guitar, oy, would I want to hear that!!

the bridge and tailpiece are original.
until the Joe Spann book came out and serial numbers/specs were reassesed it was thought that they went to block inlays in '29 but it's really around
'32 that they changed
Old 04-11-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

I had a "jazz" guitar teacher who owned three guitars, and old Martin 0018 (ish) and a '30s Epiphone Emperor, and a 1934 L-5.

It did have blocks, and he wanted to sell the Gibson to help with house moving costs.
I was tempted, but bought a '34 L-4 from Archtop.com instead.
He compared the two and said he couldn't tell the difference. I think he was being kind!

Here is Piers playing that old Gibson.

and here he is with his Epi:

Here's my L-4 ('34 but a '35 model, so f-holes but still 16" )

NOTE: There is quite a number of "oddball" Gibsons archtops and flat tops around that aren't exactly as one would expect for any particular year. e.g my FON is definitely a '34, but theoretically all '34s were round holes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GIBSON L-4.jpg (23.8 KB, 161 views)
Old 04-11-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
the bridge and tailpiece are original.
until the Joe Spann book came out and serial numbers/specs were reassesed it was thought that they went to block inlays in '29 but it's really around
'32 that they changed
Ah, thank you!
Old 04-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Does anyone have the Joe Spann book? is it just a history of Gibson or are there PICTURES??
Old 04-30-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Does anyone have the Joe Spann book? is it just a history of Gibson or are there PICTURES??
I’ve flipped through it. It’s a reference book with pages of FON’s more than a coffee table book.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops