The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-18-2018, 08:23 AM

I agree, that's what I meant by the quotations in "correct". But when people say "I play with the thumb behind the neck", does that mean don't wrap it around the neck or place it on the bottom / middle part of the neck at all times?

Mine is all over the place

Anyway, sorry I'm hijacking the thread.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:16 AM

mine moves around too. I just don't purposely hang ot over the top to catch the E string.
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 08-19-2018, 07:59 AM

My thumb is either at the side or at the back, depending.

At the side I can mute the sixth string with my thumb and thumb wrap for certain positions. When there are barre chords or difficult positions then I'll move in to a more classical position with the thumb at the back.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 08-31-2018, 07:26 AM

I am now playing a Cordoba Cadete nylon 3/4 "folk" guitar. It's folk for me, anyway. Due to arthritis (left fretting hand) and chronic right shoulder impairment I have downsized so I can keep playing. The guitar is a perfect fit for what I play, American folk music from the previous two centuries, mostly nursing home singalong with monthly folk jams and quarterly open mic events. In my folk group we have two steel string guitars, a mandolin, and my nylon "folk" guitar. The Cadete is easy to play, loud enough, and I'm not afraid to let it get banged up at the weekly nursing home singalongs. It holds it's own volume wise. We all know Willie Nelson plays a nylon folk guitar. And a big part of Peter, Paul and Mary's sound (besides their wonderful vocal harmonies) was the blend of Peter's steel string and Paul's nylon string guitars. I love the sound of this guitar for strumming or lead work. The nylon strings have a wonderful tone all their own, I love to hear Willie playing lead runs.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:22 PM

I played steel string all my life until this year. I'm 65 with rheumatoid arthritis. It keeps my left-hand index finger so swollen and stiff most of the time that I cannot make a C chord on a traditional steel string. I almost lost all interest in playing and singing, going nearly a year without playing.
I discovered I could play the nylon, traditional 2" nut width, bought a Cordoba C3 in June and have barely put it down. I'm nowhere near a classical guitarist, fingerpick only 3 or 4 tunes, so I just use my flatpick and don't worry about it.
I wandered into a local music store this past Saturday and found a fabulous, used La Patrie Presentation (Godin Co.), solid cedar top and solid rosewood back and sides. It has a monstrous bass response and plays and sounds excellent. I'm adding a K&K classical pickup and will soon be gigging again.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:47 PM

I just added a Martin 00-28G to my 00-18G. Got all them basses covered now for sure. The 00-18G's lightness and sparkle is nicely balanced by the 00-28G's heavier rosewood gravitas.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbug View Post
I played steel string all my life until this year. I'm 65 with rheumatoid arthritis. It keeps my left-hand index finger so swollen and stiff most of the time that I cannot make a C chord on a traditional steel string. I almost lost all interest in playing and singing, going nearly a year without playing.
I discovered I could play the nylon, traditional 2" nut width, bought a Cordoba C3 in June and have barely put it down. I'm nowhere near a classical guitarist, fingerpick only 3 or 4 tunes, so I just use my flatpick and don't worry about it.
I wandered into a local music store this past Saturday and found a fabulous, used La Patrie Presentation (Godin Co.), solid cedar top and solid rosewood back and sides. It has a monstrous bass response and plays and sounds excellent. I'm adding a K&K classical pickup and will soon be gigging again.
Great to hear you're getting back at it! If you're like me, playing is a big part of your life and when you can't do it, it's a big loss.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 10-05-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
This was done on a Yamaha classical guitar.

Hauntingly beautiful. It just wouldn't have worked as well on a steel string.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:24 PM

Just bought a Fender CN-60S nylon string with plans of playing "folk" on it. Inexpensive but has a solid spruce top. Narrow fingerboard, so I'm hoping it will be more comfortable than the wider "Classical" style.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical