The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Sitting position

Hi guys. I've been playing for around 8 years now, and recently have been revisiting sitting and guitar position. Originally i did take some classical lessons when younger, though over recent years, I've been putting the guitar on the right leg. However, I'm now questioning that approach. I find that I'm able to strike the strings at more of a 90 degree angle and can get good tone out of the guitar with the guitar on the left leg, more classical style. I am trying a de oro guitar support at the moment, to limit the stress this seems to put on my spine and I am unsure whether this aid will work for me.

http://www.deoromusic.com/deoromusic...r_Support.html

I noticed on a video or two indicate that Pierre Bensusan uses some sort of belt that attached to his guitar allowing him to move the neck and body of the guitar forward and back to alter tone,without worrying about the guitar falling from his knee. Has anyone seen how he does this or what he uses. I'm wondering what other stability it provides and if or where a strap button has been added to the back of his Lowden.

I am also trying a basic guitar strap as an alternative, though I'm wondering if a strap button near the lower part of the neck makes sense, if use of a strap works for me, as I've seen some guitars with buttons placed in that region of the guitar.

This is about sitting in a position that is comfortable for the spine, and also finding comfort in how I strike the strings to get desired tone.

Your thoughts and shared experiences are welcome.

best,

Stuart
Old 12-30-2015, 05:44 PM

Default Sitting position

Stuart,

I too have some classical training and it does from time to time (more times recently) make me play with guitar on my left leg with neck-up ! There are several neck supports out there. I've used one called Gitano from Stringsby mail.com which is inexpensive ($35) and very effective. There are others, but all are basically similar in design and intent.

I was fortunate enough to get a front row seat to Pierre about 2 years ago. He sat no more than 5 feet from me and I can tell you with absolute certainty....he used no guitar or neck support. Maybe in practice, but not for performances. I'm actually trying to force myself to use the left leg more as it is an easier position to play harder stretches and barre cords from. Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:25 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Another support that has been discussed extensively here is the NeckUp. I have one and really like it.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
Another support that has been discussed extensively here is the NeckUp. I have one and really like it.
Another vote for NeckUp.

I experimented with a foot lift, also tried alternating between left and right legs for support. Purchased a bar stool to hike one foot up higher to provide support and used that for some time. NeckUp allows one to play with both feet flat on the floor which is far more comfortable.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

I use a Barnett support.
http://www.barnettguitarsupports.com...nal/index.html.

It's a little more involved but works great for me.

Teacher/mentor - Richard Gilewitz

Schenk Grand Fingerstyle (Gilewitz Signature) 12 String
Beneteau OMC -13
Simon Fay OM
Schenk Grand Fingerstyle (Gilewitz Signature) 6 String
Old 01-01-2016, 07:03 PM

I use a good old guitar strap from the end button to the heel of the neck. It is short enough to support the guitar even when sitting and holds the guitar in the perfect position.

A down side for some might be that the fretboard is out of site but fretboard edge markers do the trick for me.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoote View Post
Stuart,

I too have some classical training and it does from time to time (more times recently) make me play with guitar on my left leg with neck-up ! There are several neck supports out there. I've used one called Gitano from Stringsby mail.com which is inexpensive ($35) and very effective. There are others, but all are basically similar in design and intent.

I was fortunate enough to get a front row seat to Pierre about 2 years ago. He sat no more than 5 feet from me and I can tell you with absolute certainty....he used no guitar or neck support. Maybe in practice, but not for performances. I'm actually trying to force myself to use the left leg more as it is an easier position to play harder stretches and barre cords from. Hope this helps.
Yes, thanks for the input. I'll have a look at the Gitano support you mention.

Pierre is remarkable up close and personal. I saw him play in Guelph. He did not use a support then either. But I noticed that he seemed to be using a strap of sorts in a couple of videos. It goes around his waist I believe and connects to strap buttons on the guitar in two places, I understand. It's just so he can pull or push the neck of the guitar inwards or outwards, in order to alter tone. Perhaps it was just to show a technique he uses. Not the same issue I have but worthy of note.

I hope to see him in Montreal next year.

all the best, Stuart
Old 01-01-2016, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
It looks very simple. Might be worth a try!

Stuart
Old 01-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Blake View Post
Another vote for NeckUp.

I experimented with a foot lift, also tried alternating between left and right legs for support. Purchased a bar stool to hike one foot up higher to provide support and used that for some time. NeckUp allows one to play with both feet flat on the floor which is far more comfortable.
Agreed. Keeping both feet on the ground really seems to prevent awkward positioning of the spine. And yes, finding the right stool may well be part of the solutions, though it may take time.

thx for your input.

Stuart
Old 01-01-2016, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylynch@yahoo. View Post
I use a Barnett support.
http://www.barnettguitarsupports.com...nal/index.html.

It's a little more involved but works great for me.
This support I definitely had not seen.

I'll give that some thought.

Stuart
Old 01-01-2016, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Right now I'm just using a foot stool and have the guitar on my left knee. The Neck-up has always looked interesting, but the foot stool hasn't fell apart yet.....

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Right now I'm just using a foot stool and have the guitar on my left knee. The Neck-up has always looked interesting, but the foot stool hasn't fell apart yet.....
The more I play using my left leg the more comfortable I am with it. I do find that if the neck of the guitar is too high, it can cause pain in my left arm. Still contemplating alternatives.

thx for your thoughts.

Stuart

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write