The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Bruce Hornsby

I've always been a big fan of Bruce Hornsby and last night I was watching a live DVD performance of him and his band recorded in the late 90's with guests Pat Metheny, Bonnie Raitt, Bob Weir, Don Henley, and a dance slot by Gregory Hines.

His music is primarily centered around his piano playing so I wonder how well some of it works with acoustic guitar. I downloaded the lyrics and chords to End of the Innocence (actually done originally by Don Henley but co-written with Bruce), Mandolin Rain, and That's the Way It Is.

Anyone had good results working with his music? I'm looking forward to exploring the three songs above later today with both strumming and some fingerstyle patterns.

Thanks!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-29-2015, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Love Bruce Hornsby's playing, singing and songwriting! He's put out many wonderful recordings... I believe that I have the record that inspired the show you saw, as Pat Metheny, Jerry Garcia, Bela Fleck and Don Henley did guest spots on the recordings...

Be interested to hear how it goes for you! You have chosen some great tunes to experiment with...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-29-2015, 03:17 PM

I play a version of End of the Innocence. Fairly simple and audiences seem to enjoy it, though they think of Don Henley, not Bruce Hornsby when they hear it.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 12-29-2015, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
I play a version of End of the Innocence. Fairly simple and audiences seem to enjoy it, though they think of Don Henley, not Bruce Hornsby when they hear it.
My two favorite versions of the song are one where Henley sings and Hornsby plays piano and then another live version with Hornsby also. I like the original too, it's just such a great song.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
My two favorite versions of the song are one where Henley sings and Hornsby plays piano and then another live version with Hornsby also. I like the original too, it's just such a great song.
I've been working for the past week on the original Don Henley End of the Innocence version which is in the key of G# or Ab. Pretty straight forward and the only challenging chord to me is a Bm barre. I downloaded the lyrics and chords off GuitarTapp and it's mostly accurate but you have to listen to the song carefully to pick some nuances of the chord progressions especially on the bridge section with the sax accompanying about 2/3 in. My spruce/rosewood and cedar/rosewood guitars work best, the 522 (all hog) is just a bit too dry and woody for this song. It also works nice to plug in and add reverb to the tone. When strumming the chords, less is more seems to work nice on the pattern and I use a light pick for a light touch. I also tend to emphasize the low end of the chords rather than the highs except in a couple of spots.

I may try a pinch type Travis pattern later to see how that works with the song.

Fun stuff.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:20 PM

I've seen Hornsby in concert twice - both times with Raitt.

It was almost humorously obvious that he played these gigs WAY below his skill and talent levels. I actually got the impression he was probably bored to tears most of the way through.

When Raitt gave him 4 minutes to "stretch out a bit" he went off the road straight overland with some great playing. During that break, I could sense some of the audience getting uncomfortable with it.

It was kind of weird. It reminded me of something like going to an improvisational jazz performance where part of the audience was expecting to hear Wind Machine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write