The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 PM

Heres a link to an old Yamaha catalogue featuring the 25 as well as other models, if you can find somebody to translate the Japanese for you, you may find it interesting...

http://www.oldguitar.jp/catalog/yama...(60s)_0003.jpg
Old 08-05-2012, 12:09 PM

I recently picked up a couple of Yamaha guitars, Ive been looking for info on them, and am curious about one of them in particular.

The first is a CG-120, serial #71020618 - tan label, made in Taiwan.
I think is an '87 , but I'm not sure. It does have a solid top. I've only found info on CG-120a models, nothing on CG-120.

The second one is the one I'm curious about - which I almost didn't pick up due to a sketchy Craigslist posting, odd texts trying to meet, and having to meet in a baaad part of town to check it out. But things worked out, the price was fair, and I got out of that neighborhood quickly!
It's a G-80, tan label, Nippon Gakki, serial #966864. Says made in Japan on back of the headstock, has the straight 'Yamaha' logo on the front of the headstock. This appears to have a laminated top.

Both guitars are in good shape and sound very nice. The G-80 is a little musty, I need to clean it and get a mirror to look inside, I think it may have a little mold going on.... If so, what's a recommended method/product for cleaning the inside?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:33 PM

Great find CFW! Enjoy it. Post some pics! As far as cleaning the inside, never had a guitar with mold so not sure what to tell you there. I've had some nasty ones, but not that nasty!

A few years ago, I got a sweet old Lyle acoustic off craigslist that had pearlite, 4 playing cards, a marble, a toothpick and dental floss inside it. After shaking out what I could, I used a small vacuum hose to get dust bunnies, dirt and assorted other funk out of there. Anything beyond a few good shakes and the vacuum though, I haven't done.

My sister in law (who gave me a sweet Larrivee L-09 20 years ago) informed me a few nights ago that a package will be arriving on my doorstep this week with a Yamaha Classical (C-60 Nippon Gakki with case) she picked up at a garage sale for $25 .....I'm sure it cost her at least that to ship it!
Old 08-05-2012, 02:54 PM

I have a Yamaha G170a from the early 70s that I picked up for cheap on CL. It is a pretty nice sounding and nice playing all-laminate guitar. I take it everywhere with me and never have to worry about it.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 PM

I'm a big fan of the mid 70s to early 80s Yamaha classicals with solid spruce tops. It's very hard to find a Yamaha from that era that's bad. These would inlcude:

From the 1970s:

G-255S
G-250S
G-245S
G-240
G-235S

You can see and hear most of these guitars at my blog post here:

1970s Yamaha Classical Guitars
Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 PM

I'll post a few pictures later, I'm at the airport on my way home. I usually work from home, except about 1 week a month. I stay at a friends house for that week, and now have 4 guitars there...

I guess he doesn't mind, since he talked me out of bringing home the G80. I'm going to miss it already!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:48 PM

I have tried twice to post on your blog...looks like unsuccessfully...but some of your data doesn`t add up, particularly on the years. And it could be exports were sold under different names or numbers than domestics, not uncommon from what I`ve seen.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:28 AM

I have a GC-3D. Made in 1973, I think. It is all solid woods; cedar top, Indian rosewood back and sides, rosewood fingerboard. These were hand made. It sounds wonderful, I can get a huge range of tone out of it. A friend told me he thought it's better than his Yairi.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 08-09-2012, 06:45 PM

I have a bunch of Yamaha Dynamics and several old S. Yairis dated between 1961 and 1971...the Yams are maple while the Yairis are mahogany or rosewood, they don`t sound the same to me.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 PM

The GC3 was the low end of that series when they came out in 1967, could be they changed them by the time yours was made but they were listed as laminates...if my Japanese is good which it may not be, I could ask my wife later to read the listing.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don357 View Post
I have a #20 that belonged to my neighbor. It was given to me by her son when she died. I have no idea how old it is. All I do know is that she was 80+ when she passed, and she bought it while she was in college. It was missing the G string when she first showed it to me and still is. Anyone have any information on this model as to age or value? The serial # is 187409. Also, I can't tell if it's solid wood or laminate.
Don’t mean to revive an old thread but this was just too random.

On my occassional stroll through Craigslistlandia in case of hidden gems, I came across this listing of a Yamaha Nippon Gakki No. 20 serial #187409. Although it would suggest patent number but I’m going to assume that means serial. This was in the Orange County (California) craigslist and I see that you are from Alabama … small world!

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bar/3389963912.html
Old 02-17-2016, 12:14 AM

Default Yamaha #60

I have followed this thread for some time and am only now getting around to replying.

I picked up an old Yamaha #60 classical in a pawn shop for very cheap a few years ago. I took it to GC and the luthier checked it out and told me that it is indeed a solid top.

It was made in '66 according to the numbers stamped inside. Oldest Yamaha I own. (I have several FG models in my modest guitar collection).

Love this cheap little banger classical!

Yamaha FG75 red label Taiwan
Yamaha FG150 Nippon Gakki
Yamaha FG360 Nippon Gakki
Old 01-30-2017, 07:39 PM

Old post brought to life! You are all very welcome😇

Picked up a G170A for $90, darn nice guitar!
Best I can find on the internets is 1969 or 1970 based on serial number.
A ton of conflicting info!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical