The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-11-2009, 02:37 AM

Default Harmonica Keys...

I know, I know... this has been done to death over the years but I'm desperate to find out what key harp is being played on a particular song that I have to perform in a month or so. As far as I can tell, you can't just 'hear' what key it's in but it's more of a 'trial and error' process, starting with the key harp the song is in, then trying cross harp etc. until you are a happy bunny.

Hmmph, been here before...

As I only own an Eb and an A, (should have bought the Eb right off but got confused) I can't simply go through my collection (of two!) to work out what it should be, so I'm asking/begging somebody to take a couple of minutes out to do me a favour and let me know which one I need to buy therefore averting another 50 dollar mistake and making me very happy in the process.

I'm not sure what I can offer in return, I'm a video editor by profession so if I can do anything just let me know, I'd like to bring something to the table for a change!

The song/artist is 'The Ballad of Carol Lynn' by Whiskeytown.

http://bit.ly/Ko3gr

Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 AM

The song is in Cmaj ... so a C harp works just fine ... I just played along with it. Nice song by the way.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:32 AM

Default Denny...

It's really kind of you to help out with this. I'll get a C (Lee Oskar) ordered later on today. This place never fails to amaze me, I mean - how quick?! The song is really pretty, I wish I could sit down and write something as simple as this, I always over complicate everything.

Back to Dylan!

Once again, thank you Denny - you've saved me a lot of trouble, I was worried that it was played cross harp or something.

Alex
Old 06-11-2009, 09:45 PM

Location: Jackson, LA in body......North Carolina mountains in spirit

Ever consider something like this? -

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfri...ase?sku=421179

They're cheesy, yes. Plastic. But a really nice case, probably worth the price alone. And you get 7 keys and a case for around the price of a decent reed plate!! Worth "diddling around" with anyway.

Just a thought.

Somewhere around 200 strings attached to various shapes, sizes, and types of wood. Real P.I.T.A. when it comes time to tune!!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quosh View Post
Once again, thank you Denny - you've saved me a lot of trouble, I was worried that it was played cross harp or something.
No problem, mate ... cheers. I carry only four harps with me ... G, C, D, A ... that gives me straight harp in these keys, and cross harp in E (with the A), G (with the D), F (with the C), and D (with the G) ... anything else the rest of the boys can change keys if they need the harp, or buy me a new one (friggin' things are $25 here these days, I bought my first Hohner Blues Harp for $3 or so, but that was in the last century) ...
Old 06-13-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
No problem, mate ... cheers. I carry only four harps with me ... G, C, D, A ... that gives me straight harp in these keys, and cross harp in E (with the A), G (with the D), F (with the C), and D (with the G) ...
I think I finally understand cross harp. A and E have only one note difference, also true for G and D, etc. Do you - knowingly - do anything different to sound the off note or just grab the other harp and play "close enough - sliding into the correct note" -- letting your ear tell you to sharp/flat (alter) the off note?

Is it that simple?

Last edited by Malcolm; 06-13-2009 at 04:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write