The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-14-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Eastman archtops..

I've been in touch with a fellow who has an Eastman 810ce at a very reasonable price. I need to be able to play acoustically with a small country swing band. A coment he made has me wondering...he noted that it does not have the projection of some of the older archtops but, way more than most currently in production. I'm thinking it could be an issue. Maple top, perhaps?
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 12-14-2005, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb
I've been in touch with a fellow who has an Eastman 810ce at a very reasonable price. I need to be able to play acoustically with a small country swing band. A coment he made has me wondering...he noted that it does not have the projection of some of the older archtops but, way more than most currently in production. I'm thinking it could be an issue. Maple top, perhaps?
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Eastman tops are carved,hand graduated spruce.

Coming from more of a flattop acoustic background I'd say an Eastman is a lot closer to a flattop in acoustic range and feel than say my 1945 L-5 was. Though thinner, passing chords on the L-5 would easily cut through an orchestra better.....that's what it was meant to do.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ
Eastman tops are carved,hand graduated spruce.

Coming from more of a flattop acoustic background I'd say an Eastman is a lot closer to a flattop in acoustic range and feel than say my 1945 L-5 was. Though thinner, passing chords on the L-5 would easily cut through an orchestra better.....that's what it was meant to do.
Thats a great comparison! and speaks well for the Eastman. I just had a long conversation with the sellor. He was most helpful and said something very similar. This is starting to clear up for me. One more question , if I may....body size. The sellor compared the size of his to the size of my Emporer Regent..17" at the bout...the ER is a bit large for me...not a deal breaker, though. At 5'9" I kinda get lost in it...any thoughts about that?
Mnay thanks for your kind help, BTW!
Old 12-14-2005, 01:42 PM

i own an Eastman Arcback Jumbo Flattop.
An amazing guitar that really mixes the worlds of the archtop and flattop.
I got it in October and in the last few weeks it's really started to open up and become quite the instrument.

I've been considering getting an archtop acoustic and was having some of the same issues as you. I'm REALLY impressed with the Eastman Oval Hole Archtop. It does everything you were asking about. It's like an old Gibson Style-O but without the scroll:

Old 12-14-2005, 02:14 PM

Palomorado,

Yes, I've heard great things the oval holed ones. Not many people making them. Brings back memories of a Gibson oval hole in Viet Nam that a friend had....it really dusted my Harmony Sovreign.

They are making archback flattops now also (I don't they are capable of making a flat backed anything) and there's one on ebay right now at an incredible price.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ
Palomorado,

Yes, I've heard great things the oval holed ones. Not many people making them. Brings back memories of a Gibson oval hole in Viet Nam that a friend had....it really dusted my Harmony Sovreign.

They are making archback flattops now also (I don't they are capable of making a flat backed anything) and there's one on ebay right now at an incredible price.
Speaking of oval holes....I also have a Gitane D500....a MAJOR canon. A remarkable guitar considering its price but, for me, at least, VERY use specific.
Everythong about it is FAR beyond claims. It gets categorized with archtops some times but, the arch is quite insignificant. I guess its the bridge thats the give away....just thought I'd add that in. BTW...I originally got it to play with a friend you beats the life out of his Gibson to the point I can't hear myself think. Now he's thinking amplification....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops