The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-01-2005, 09:40 AM

Question Martin Jazz Box? Wow, what was it?

I was at a guitar show in the uk today and played a Martin cf1 something or other Jazz style guitar, i've got to be honest the sound and playability were amazing. It was plugged just into a line six combo and when i played some Atkins/ Jazzy style stuff it amazed me and i'm quite picky. The cost of this guitar in the uk is equivelent of 5000 us dollars, i was soooo exited i forgot to take the model number can anyone help. Probably old news in the U.S but we're a bit behind the times in the uk.
Thanks Again
Vikki(uk)
Old 05-01-2005, 09:44 AM

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/model.php

Look for the CF-1 and CF-2 models...about 7 rows down on the page. Clicking on each guitar will take you to the specs page.

These were just announced at NAMM (if memory serves me correctly) and I haven't seen one in shops yet, nor have I heard any reviews. Sorry I can't help you there.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:50 AM

Talking

Wow Martin aren't short of different model guitars. Looks as if it was just CF1, very light weight guitar single pickup. Thanks Randal.
Vikki(uk)
Old 05-01-2005, 10:42 AM

Saw a clinician David something playing the CF1 yesterday at Sam ASh in NYC.

Sounded fantastic to my ear. Of course the guy was a great player!
Old 05-01-2005, 10:49 AM
Eric Skye

I think they’re making a Dale Unger American Archtop guitar ( www.americanarchtop.com/ ) in the same sense that Guild is making Benedettos. They are truly great guitars. Dale Unger is very much of the Benedetto school, if not basically a copy. It’s a laminated guitar, which isn’t such a dirty word in the world of archtops, particularly if you play in situations where feedback is of concern. Assuming Martin can produce them on a much larger scale it looks like it’ll be great for everyone, not the least of which the consumer that can get a world class jazz guitar for under $5K ....though at that price point I’d play a few Anderson streamlines too
Old 05-02-2005, 08:44 AM

I realize you didn't ask for this...but I never get a chance to talk about jazz boxes on this forum.

I have to say that in that price range there are also a few other individual luthiers I'd look at. Andersen is a good one...I've liked the ones I've played. But if you want a hand-carved top rather than a laminate for an affordable price...

Bill Comins--www.cominsguitars.com--I have one and it is amazing. Individual luthier-made (I think he does around 10-20 a year). Bill was also trained by Benedetto.

Mark Campellone--campelloneguitars.com--I had one on order about ten years ago. Later, cancelled because I was too impatient. I regret that decision now...though I hope to get one some day. Mark's a nice guy and his deluxe model (hand carved top) is a steal for the price. A little more Gibsonesque in design.

There are a lot of newer names that I haven't played, and a few other older names like Buscarino that also offer some nice instruments (though you won't get a hand-carved Buscarino in the 5-range). I'd be happy to post some more ideas if you're interested. I guess being in the U.K. makes it tough to get a hold of these though.

Nilus

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops