The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 05:39 PM

Default Kalamazoo Sport 1939 Prewar

SOLD off forum

Offering a pre war Kalamazoo Sport 3/4 size six string flattop guitar from 1939. Includes a chipboard case. $1130

Ok, I got the images. Thanks to a members suggestion a SoundCloud audio will be forthcoming!

The story: A guy from over in Tennessee came by the house to buy a 1970 Martin 00-18. He was a nice guy and more knowledgeable than me about guitars. We talked for well over an hour. We were wrapping up the deal and he asked if I wanted to take a look at a unique guitar. I was not interested in a trade, but said sure to the take a look. He went to the car...

This little Kalamazoo guitar played so nice (nice setup) and sounded so good that it ended up as part of the trade. Sure everyone says that, right? I have played and liked the 3/4 size Gibsons in the past (at Retrofret, Thank you RetroFret) and this Kalamazoo holds it's own. Take a look at my Reverb feedback and my return policy. You be the judge!

Assume nothing is original except for the body and the neck/headstock. It has been refinished, repaired and made to be eminently playable (nice setup). The neck and headstock have no cracks, neither does the fretboard (it's probably been planed). The frets are newish and well done. Lots of other repaired cracks. I laughed when I first looked inside because of all the repaired cracks and glue. But as Cindy Lauper said "they didn't laugh when they heard me sing"

The neck is a soft V. The top is tight grain spruce from the old growth forest of that time. Some would call it adi, but I don't know and can't tell by looking.
The top and back cracks are quite minor. The top of the body is the biggie crack. And there is a hole repaired near the end pin. The bridge plate looks good, but I'm not sure about originality. If only guitars could talk. I'm sure this one has a story!

The repairs were done well on this guitar, better than some I have seen. Is it perfect world class work? ... The outside is B+ rustic look. The interior with the glue is a solid C- :-) Again, you be the judge.

Actual measurements
Nut width 1 9/16"
Strings at saddle 2"
Scale length 22 3/4"
Lower bout 12 1/2"
Max body depth 3 7/8"
Low E string at 12th fret just a tad over 3/32", call it 1/8" to be safe
2.8 Lbs

It's my kind of guitar, a light prewar guitar that you can play hard and take anywhere - from gentle finger style to flat picking and fiddle tunes. No funky smells!

This is my first classified post and I'm retired (old). Please give me a break. (It's on Reverb, BTW). Audio tomorrow! LOL, give me a break there too, as in I'm eight weeks out from a left arm humerus fracture. Which is why I am playing this little gem.

More images

https://imageshack.com/user/ancienttones

Last edited by ancient tones; 02-10-2021 at 07:20 AM. Reason: add images
Old 01-27-2021, 08:04 PM

Default Nice!

It's got character, all right! Good luck with your sale!
Old 01-28-2021, 02:42 AM
Charter Member

Smile Cool axe!

Link to your Reverb listing:

https://reverb.com/item/38517634-kal...sport-3-4-1939

Cool little hot rod! Best on the sale and a fast and complete recovery for your arm!!!

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-04-2021, 05:38 PM

https://soundcloud.com/user-518802485/kalamazoo

Ok maybe this will work.

Last edited by ancient tones; 02-05-2021 at 05:45 AM. Reason: add sound
Old 02-05-2021, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient tones View Post
Bump for new audio sample. I could not find my Samson USB mic, so just a phone recording.

New info: this top is super tight grain, over 30 lines per inch.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars