The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-20-2011, 02:54 PM

Default Too True

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10769713

A little ditty inspired by my bride.

Music and Lyrics by Kirk Whitehead
Old 06-20-2011, 06:07 PM

Another slick groove. On originals it is always good to post the lyrics. I hear a chorus in there a gain I hear sort of a quick double strum type thing

Baby you been here, a long long time
and you been such, a friend o' mine
You know I'll love you ,as long as I can
And I'll be your,....... forever man

seems like you get a good groove going and then use the verses to tell the whole story. There are some songs written that way, but the majority are broken up with a chorus and or bridge. I like your groove and think these both are just a few mods away from being really cool songs!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 06-20-2011, 07:58 PM

thanks man. that was 10 minutes. I turned on the recorder and just started playing. I opened my mouth and the words just came out.

My mom always said i was hard headed, I guess I kinda like the story telling more than "proper" song structure.

Down with the man!!!

kirk
Old 06-20-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
Another slick groove. On originals it is always good to post the lyrics. I hear a chorus in there a gain I hear sort of a quick double strum type thing

Baby you been here, a long long time
and you been such, a friend o' mine
You know I'll love you ,as long as I can
And I'll be your,....... forever man

seems like you get a good groove going and then use the verses to tell the whole story. There are some songs written that way, but the majority are broken up with a chorus and or bridge. I like your groove and think these both are just a few mods away from being really cool songs!
+1..Im with Ranger, Nice groove. Thanks for sharing. He suggested some good lines to a chorus..Keep em coming dude. Good stuff..Solo

Mike Solo
Old 06-21-2011, 06:17 AM

Like the "Texas Blues" style riff and your vocal style fits the song well. I'll agree with Ranger that a bridge or something would help the song structure, just break up the repeated riff a bit. Good job bro. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXKirk View Post
thanks man. that was 10 minutes. I turned on the recorder and just started playing. I opened my mouth and the words just came out.

My mom always said i was hard headed, I guess I kinda like the story telling more than "proper" song structure.

Down with the man!!!

kirk
I hear ya and that is exactly how I felt early on, but I got some great advice here and then looked at it as using the chorus to further tell the story or to "set the stage" for what is going to happen later in the song. I wrote one called Good Advice and early in the song the singer's father offers some "good advice" and then in final part of the song and story the "good advice" comes directly into play. You can also use a bridge to further tell a story or sometimes have the story make a dramatic turn. SO look at those pieces as more story telling. I sort of actually look at a song as each piece being a song that needs a melody and verse that then all fit together. It is really like writing 2 or 3 songs.

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 06-21-2011, 06:42 AM

I liked the groove as well. Nicely done, especially for just winging it after pressing the red button.

I kinda take the opposite view on adding a bridge to this song. I don't think one would fit. I mean, where would you go, chord-wise? I really think this is a perfect example of a song not needing a bridge.

Maybe hesitate at the start of a verse. Like, hit the opening chord, hesitate a beat or two, maybe sing a word or two, then start in. Like I had mentioned in Solo's original, with that type of variation, you can make the listener forget that they are hearing the same chords over and over.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell