The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-14-2011, 12:56 AM

Default Nylon strings with pick

I have been told if you use a pick on a nylon classical guitar it screws up the strings. Doesn't your fingernail do the same or are you supposed to use the fleshy part of your finger when playing? I am new to classical guitar.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:00 AM

Well - big deal on the strings. Sometimes a picker is born. So just play away - you'll find your way.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petscar View Post
I have been told if you use a pick on a nylon classical guitar it screws up the strings. Doesn't your fingernail do the same or are you supposed to use the fleshy part of your finger when playing? I am new to classical guitar.
It does not screw the strings. Most classical guitar players use their nails.

The reason you may sometimes hear it said is because the bass strings of a nylon set wear out faster than steel string basses. Nylon basses are metal wound on a core of thin nylon filaments and, because the core is flexible and compresses when the string is fretted, the metal windings tend to wear out faster than wound steel strings. But this happens whether you play with a pick or fingernails.

If this guy can use a pick on nylon strings, so can you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om6HDUKBbzE
Old 06-14-2011, 05:43 AM

Talk to Willie Nelson. He's played a nylon-string guitar with a pick for many years, and has an instantly-recognizeable sound.
Of course, he's also picked a large hole in his favorite axe....

No one will hunt you down and shoot you if play nylon strings with a pick.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:09 AM

There are no rules. Develo your own style and be true to yourself. This will make playing enjoyable for you. That is what matters. I play win a pick maybe 30% of the time. It just depends on the sound Im after and the mood Im in. Rodrigo y Gabriella are my favorite nylon string masters. Check them out on youtube. They both use a pick. Gabriella is usually handling rhythm so she uses a pick less frequently. And of course there is always the original nylon sting picking master Willie Nelson.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:36 PM

Thanks guys. I will pick away as I seem to have a hard time finger picking although I do like the sweet warm tone using your fingers. Maybe someday.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:43 PM

Wow, great video of John Mclaughlin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical