The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-22-2009, 07:57 PM

Default Good guitar teaching curiculem

I have been playing for 1 year. I only play chords, most of what I know I taught my self with a chord encylopedia. I am looking for a good guitar teaching book/dvd. I want to play bluegrass/country style music. So does anybody have a suggestion? Thank-you.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 PM

The best progression might be rhythm/chords, Carter style adding melody notes to the chords, single note melodic playing, crosspicking, then skys the limit.

Several good books videos out on Carter Style which is your next logical step.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:43 PM

Thanks, any others?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 PM

I take for granted you know how to play from a fake chord book. If so rhythm guitar is not rocket science I'm sure you already know enough to hold your own with other musicians. Jamm sessions or a garage band will teach you more than you will learn from books, CD's, etc. Can't find a jamm circle or a garage band - play rhythm guitar to your CD's. All you need is to know the key the song is being played in and then grab a I IV V I progression and see what you can do. Of course a teacher is your best bet. Once you are comfortable playing with your CD's go find other guitarist to play with. I sat in with my first band after only playing for one year. Been with them for 8 years now. The guys/gals with help you and over look your mistakes as long as you are trying and fit in -- course it helps if you become their roadie and carry all their stuff into and out of the gig site. LOL

How to find the key:
Listen and fret the 6th string one fret at a time moving up the neck. When what you are hearing on the CD and what you are doing on the 6th string sound good together you've found the tonal center, thus the key. Look down and see what fret this happened on. If at the 3rd fret the key is G, if it was on the 8th fret the key is C, 10th fret it's D, etc.

Grab the appropriate I IV V I and have fun. In doing that this will tell you what else you specifically need help with. Google or ask here.

Good luck.

Last edited by Malcolm; 06-23-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 AM

well, I don't really know that much. All I know are a few basic chords (Bm,G,D,A,Am,E,Em,C,G7 and a few others). I don't know anything else. I don't even know what a progresion is. So really all I can do is play those chords and "make up my own pattern" for the song I am playing. I know that a teacher would be best, but my schedule isn't that flexable. I need something that I can do when it works out, 3-4 days a week.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumby View Post
well, I don't really know that much. All I know are a few basic chords (Bm,G,D,A,Am,E,Em,C,G7 and a few others). I don't know anything else. I don't even know what a progresion is. So really all I can do is play those chords and "make up my own pattern" for the song I am playing. I know that a teacher would be best, but my schedule isn't that flexable. I need something that I can do when it works out, 3-4 days a week.
What you need is a simple experience of seeing how the chords/keys function. You will not forget it, once you see it for yourself, and feel it in your hands, hear it with your ears.

If in a song, the Roman numeral I is represented by G chord, then the IV, counting from the one, is C, and the V, which is ONE more than IV is D.

The major chords also have relative minors, which are mixed in sometimes at a bridge, etc. to add a little more flavor.

The relatative major/minor is simple.

C major is Am, and so on, up or down the chromatic scale from A to G.

Play with it. It is not so hard, once you hear it for yourself, and see how it actually works.

Just keep the count the same, that is, if you start with A as the I chord, then the IV is going to be D, then add ONE more for V and you have E. The key of A. Simple, once you see it work.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:03 PM

Not sure of a book or DVD, but I can give you a few tips for online sites that are useful and you can check out at your leisure...

(I am not affliated with any of the following sites, but I have used them all)

www.davejonesguitar.co.uk

www.justinguitar.com

www.guitarnoise.com

www.saskstrum.com

All of the above offer useful lessons on chords, progressions, strumming and specific songs - and all are free!

There is one pay site - www.jamplay.com - that you can get a free trail with through justinguitar.com (scroll down his home page for the link).

I have found that there is so much free material out there that I only ever pay for individual song video lessons - and then only if I've seen the song done in a way I'd like to emulate.

Feel free to check out the subscriptions on my YouTube Channel which is basically a list of the best teachers (and some great unsung players) that are on there - http://www.youtube.com/user/rcadian

I am selftaught from scratch and would not be at the level I am were it not for all of the above sites and YouTube users...

Good luck...

Rc
Old 06-24-2009, 12:35 PM

Most songs use three to four chords, yep, that all. You know the G, C and D chords. Using fake chord sheet music let's play a song with those three chords.

I bet you know the tune to Home on the range. Here are the lyrics:

......G..................................C
O'h give me a home where the buffalo roam
.............................................D
where the deer and the antelope play
..........G.............................C
where seldom is heard a discouraging word
............G.................D..........G
and the skies are not cloudy all day.

Make a G chord and start strumming and singing - I know it's like rubbing your tummy and patting your head - All down strums are OK. When you get to the lyric word "Buffalo" change to the C chord. What's all that silence when you changed to the C chord LOL I bet you lost the beat. We all had to work through that. Keep strumming and singing and when you get to the word "play" change to the D chord. You get the idea, keep going....... Couple of weeks you will be singing, strumming, changing chords all at the same time without loosing the beat.

You just provided rhythm guitar accompaniment to your vocal arrangement of Home on the range. Congratulations. Go find some songs you like. Hint, helps if you already know the tune. Use the tune to help with the timing, as fake chord does not give you any note duration, or help with the melody.

Here is Home on the range with a few more chords.
http://www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/mur...ange-3049.html
Start with the easy version I gave you and work your way to this version. Learn how to play your guitar while playing songs, and yes increase your number of chords as they come up in your songs.

To let Google find some fake chord songs for you. Google these key words:
Guitar chords, "Name of the song" the comma and the quote marks are important.

Here are a couple of good fake chord sites:
http://www.roughstock.com/cowpie/songs/

http://www.chordie.com/browseartist.php/a.php?filter=

Have fun.

P.S. Why do they call it Fake Chord Sheet Music? In the old days musicians would pass hand written pieces of sheet music to each other with just the lyrics and chord names notated. You were expected to fake the melody.

Last edited by Malcolm; 06-24-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:35 PM

Thanks a ton guys!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Fretboard Logic starts out explaining the CAGED system and how to use it to build any chord in existence . . .that could be a good place to start.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write