The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-28-2008, 04:18 AM

Default Godin 5th Avenue Archtops

Anyone have one of these or played one? What are your opinions. I am considering adding an archtop to the collection and the price on these is quite right.
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE
Old 10-28-2008, 06:37 AM

Hi, I played one just yesterday for a few minutes in the store. I am currently shopping for an acoustic as I dont own one yet, so I am unable to make comparissons or describe its tone completely. That said it sounds nice to me, but it sounds a little different than a flat top. It doesnt "ring" like a flat top. It does "ring" just in a different sorta way. It plays VERY nice and is VERY comfortable and I am thinking of getting it to be my acoustic guitar.
Oh and it looks hella cool too.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Godin 5th Ave.

Hi and yes I have played a Godin 5th Ave. archtop. I played one this summer at a music store in Denver. I was really impressed with the 5th Ave. In fact, I think that this guitar impressed me as much as any new guitar (in that price range) that I've played for years. How does Godin do it? They keep building great guitars for the money. The archtop that I played was solid black and I loved the look. These archtops are well-constructed, play easy and have a great tone. With one of my band-mates standing about 40 feet away, he told me that he was really impressed with the projection of the guitar. I'm totally set on getting one of the 5th Avenues at some point.

One word of caution is this. If you are interested in getting one with a pick-up, Godin will soon be releasing a 5th Ave. model with a P-90 style pickup. Called the 5th Ave. Kingpin, I bet this guitar will be really fun to plug-in and play. See the link for more info.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuekingpinp.htm

All the best,

Rob K.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:11 AM

Default Okay for the Money

For a completely plywood guitar, it actually sounds not too bad. Obviously my Taylor (even a lowly 210) blows it into the weeds, but it costs roughly double the price. I'm considering one for my daughter for Christmas, as it's a smaller body with a very nice neck. I may also splurge a bit and go for a Masterbilt of some sort -- but that's starting a different thread, isn't it?

So long and short of it, it's not necessaily a guitar I would buy myself, but it's a decent value for the price. But keep in mind, it IS a plywood top, back, and sides.

Joe
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 AM

Location: Survive in Winnipeg, Manitoba - just North of Fargo, N.D.

For a completely plywood guitar ...

Say what???

I love my 5th Avenue - first guitar I was ever able to get a harmonic out of. It's quiet, has a slightly shorter scale, and is easy to play. Plus it looks great!

Rob
Canada

Brackett Sitka/Walnut Dreads 'Carol Ann' and '26' plus other stringed stuff ...
Old 10-28-2008, 01:50 PM

Default 5th Avenue

I've played several of them. As others have said, cool looks and good sound for the $.
Good luck,
tj
Old 10-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

These are made of laminated Cherry wood (plywood). Godin has a deal with the Canadian gov and gets their woods for next to nothing. That's how they keep prices low.

I played a few this summer and was considering getting one. Then I came upon a 1961 Guild A50 at a local store for about the same money and scooped it up. I now have 6 Guild guitars in my arsenal and love em. I'm planning to attach a DeArmond pickup to the Guild eventually.

drive-south
Old 10-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

I have had a Godin 5th Ave for a while now, and really like it. It does have its own sound. I like playing old Carter Family tunes, and it sounds great for that as well as bluegrass and jazz. Here is a link to some recordings I have made of my guitars. This Godin recording was done with my Boss BR2 recorder, and the gain was high so it is hissy. Just click the download button for the Godin.

http://homepage.mac.com/wm7n/FileSharing64.html

Here are some photos as well.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 PM

apparantly, from what I remember reading, the laminated top allows for more sustain, bringing the sound closer to that of a flat top guitar rather than a carved top solid archtop guitar. It DID sound like a flat top while played gently, yet had a sort of boxy gritty grumbly sound to it when played hard, which I liked alot... it reminded me of say an acoustic with "distortion"...got a nice chunky percussive like sound out of it.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 PM

"Godin has a deal with the Canadian gov and gets their woods for next to nothing. That's how they keep prices low."

Try another guess. The above quote is wrong. Reasons being, the timber industry is regulated by the provinces, not the Feds.
Also, the price of a cord of wood is composed mainly of the labor used to get it from tree to raw lumber. Wood is a really cheap, undervalued product. The equipment and labor used to process it is what costs the lions share of the money.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:34 PM

I like the sound of your recording of your Godin photomat. I would buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguy1971 View Post
apparantly, from what I remember reading, the laminated top allows for more sustain, bringing the sound closer to that of a flat top guitar rather than a carved top solid archtop guitar. It DID sound like a flat top while played gently, yet had a sort of boxy gritty grumbly sound to it when played hard, which I liked alot... it reminded me of say an acoustic with "distortion"...got a nice chunky percussive like sound out of it.

This line of reasoning holds no water as I have owned many archtops and there is no comparison between a carved piece of genuine tone wood and a pressed piece of laminate. The laminate may have the advantage of being less feedback prone when electrified and amplified. But basically, then, you are in the realm of talking about electric guitars.

A real carved acoustic archtop guitar, however, can cost you 10K and sky is the limit. So don't confuse the two. That said, an archtop or even a pressed laminate archtop is a completely different sound from a flat top. If you expect your archtop to sound like a flattop you will be unhappy with the sound of your archtop. The archtop requires a totally different attack than a flattop. If you try to play your archtop with the same attack that you use on a flattop, you will be unhappy with the sound of your archtop. The archtop is a different beat altogether.

That said I have heard positive things about the Godin archtops, and they cost under $500. My first archtop was an old pressed top L-50 Gibson that I paid $350 for. And it was a great guitar. So it can be done. The Godin archtop is a good value but it can't be mentioned even in the same sentence as something like an L-5 or Epi Broadway or modern luthier archtop guitar.

Last edited by rforman15; 10-28-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:59 AM

Thanks for the input folks. Much appreciated. I think I am going to put one of these on my Christmas wish list.
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE
Old 10-29-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforman15 View Post
I like the sound of your recording of your Godin photomat. I would buy one.

This line of reasoning holds no water as I have owned many archtops and there is no comparison between a carved piece of genuine tone wood and a pressed piece of laminate. The laminate may have the advantage of being less feedback prone when electrified and amplified. But basically, then, you are in the realm of talking about electric guitars.

A real carved acoustic archtop guitar, however, can cost you 10K and sky is the limit. So don't confuse the two. That said, an archtop or even a pressed laminate archtop is a completely different sound from a flat top. If you expect your archtop to sound like a flattop you will be unhappy with the sound of your archtop. The archtop requires a totally different attack than a flattop. If you try to play your archtop with the same attack that you use on a flattop, you will be unhappy with the sound of your archtop. The archtop is a different beat altogether.

That said I have heard positive things about the Godin archtops, and they cost under $500. My first archtop was an old pressed top L-50 Gibson that I paid $350 for. And it was a great guitar. So it can be done. The Godin archtop is a good value but it can't be mentioned even in the same sentence as something like an L-5 or Epi Broadway or modern luthier archtop guitar.
oh no, dont get me wrong, I wasn't trying to imply that this lam sounded better than a solid carved archtop, I dont have any basis for comparison to be qualified to even think of doing so.
If I recall correctly, Godin wasnt after that "pure arch top sound" but rather just wanted to capture the look feel and vibe of the cool arch tops, yet voice their guitar closer to that of a flat top.
This is just what I remember from reading various reviews and interviews on the web.
It is a cool guitar reguardless.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshpmark View Post
Thanks for the input folks. Much appreciated. I think I am going to put one of these on my Christmas wish list.
You should also have a look at the Godin Kingpin - a 5th Ave with a pickup installed.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuekingpinp.htm

Brian
Old 10-30-2008, 07:06 PM

Well, I did it today. Went and bought a 5th Avenue. Pics are posted in another thread.
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops