The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-23-2018, 10:32 PM

Default Bridge Lifting with Adjustable Saddle

I have a guitar with a bridge that's lifting. I was thinking I'd remove the bridge and reglue it. But it has an adjustable saddle, the type where two screws on the sides adjusts the height of the saddle. I don't know if the bridge can be removed because of the two screws that go through the bridge and the top.

I'm hoping someone can help me. Is there a way to remove the bridge and reglue it? Or must a try to slide some glue under the tilted bridge and clamp it down?
Old 04-24-2018, 08:02 AM

You can usually remove the bridge once you take out the screws. The saddle comes out along with the screws.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:36 AM

Most times I find the adjustment mechanism is not in the actual top, most typical is thumbwheels that sit on flat shelves in the bridge itself.

What type of guitar, photos?

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-24-2018, 10:57 AM

It should be easily removable and re-glueable.

I myself do not think adjustable saddles give as good tone as a conventional bridge/saddle, so you may consider replacing the adjustable saddle with a complete conventional bone saddle. I just replaced one like this on a 70's Gibson, with ZERO damage or modification to the original adjustable mechanism. Simply, the adjustable mechanism was removed, and an oversized saddle was made and fitted. Non-destructive modifications WHENEVER POSSIBLE on vintage guitars that may carry high value.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-24-2018, 08:15 PM

No, it goes all the way through the top. Looking in the soundhole with a mirror, the screws go through. I'm wondering whether they rotate and can be slowly screwed out. Though doing that would have to be done from inside the guitar. Could be quite difficult to do. Perhaps using some small pliers.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:31 PM

If they go all the way through, then I am guessing we are talking about a guitar like an eko.

Got a photo

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-25-2018, 03:41 AM

I've managed to remove the bridge. The two screws I pushed upwards from inside the soundhole. Now it is a matter of cleaning up the area and sanding off the old glue, purchasing some clamps, glue, and clamping the bridge in place. My first major repair job so, a little apprehensive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair