The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-23-2018, 05:29 AM

Default DIY feedback buster

Anyone had success making a feedback buster (hole plug)? The manufactured ones seem to only come in one size, and the fancy ones are just too pricey for me.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

a prior forum member JoeGuam had great success making exactly what you speak of:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=374709
Old 04-23-2018, 06:06 AM

Perfect. Thank you, themissal. rb
Old 04-23-2018, 06:16 AM

I'm going to try with some stuff I am getting through ebay for a parlor, but I don't know if the guitar needs complete coverage or just a trellis like cover. I might try a custom balsa wood that I have drilled a few holes in the middle like a phone handset

if its for a parlor guitar, they are along the size of a classical guitar soundhole hole and they do make one in rubber that size called the Cordobahttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMIHGXS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX 0DER

And I read on this forum about this place that makes them to size - http://lutehole.com/index.php , I might if my test from materials works out order from them.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:20 PM

I've had some success in modifying the standard size plug (rubber) by cutting out a pie-shaped section so it will fit into smaller sound holes.

It's also possible to cut the plug into 4 sections, then reduce each section by X amount and then tape it together again. Looks like crap but you can make them fit almost any hole this way - I have one for a classical guitar that works fine.

YMMV of course.

I love acoustic guitars!
Old 04-25-2018, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post
Anyone had success making a feedback buster (hole plug)? The manufactured ones seem to only come in one size, and the fancy ones are just too pricey for me.
Hi rb

The homemade (in an emergency at a gig when someone forgot theirs) was pretty cheesy looking. But it's amazing what one can do with duct tape and ˝" sheet foam.

I've had more success altering existing rubber plugs than building my own, and at the time the rubber plug was only $7. In 2018 the Planet Waves Screeching Halt Acoustic Soundhole Cover (on Amazon) is only $6 shipped.

You can remove sections (pie shaped) to reduce size, or cut semi-circles out of the edge to accommodate volume controls, fingerboards extending into the sound-hole etc, and they work just fine.

It doesn't have to be hermetically sealed to prevent feedback. In fact the 'expensive' Lute-Hole covers work great and they are about ˝ air (with the laser cut holes).

I own both and either work well.

I'd suggest getting a couple of the $6 ones and experimenting (I carry one or the other in every case). Most times I don't need a suppressor, but when you need one, you need one.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification