The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-06-2018, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
These are great replies everyone! Thank you so much. Keep them coming.
It is a bit of paradox to be sure:
On the one hand if you as a performer get too emotionally caught up in the emotion, then your performance can suffer.

Yet as a performer playing music you do not personally identify with, can come across as contrived. Or simply technical craftsmanship at best.

To my mind to be a convincing performance the audience should get the feeling the performer feels and believes what they are saying and is emotionally convinced by the song. But that credibility factor should not disrupt the flow

That said here is an example of song that for me does stir the emotion, not so much in a (break down in tears) kind of way, but more of thought provoking, profound and somewhat poignant observation, about the possible twists and turns of life.
Not to mention a stark contrast from Buffett's beach bum persona They lyrics are a outstanding example of simple yet meaningful. This song IMO is one of those rare songs, that at the same time is both an intensely specific individual story but also has shadow universality floating in the background throughout.

Here is a song by Eliza Gilkyson, that I think is outstanding and one that I had intended to perform at my mother's burial ceremony, but I was not able to so, because even though it is full of hope it was far too intensely personal .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-06-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Great. Never seen Johnny look so much like Elvis...
That was my first thought too!
Old 04-12-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else have a hard time playing and singing a song like Johnny Cash's Give My Love To Rose without choking up?

I've been pondering this because it is not the only song i play that makes me do this.

How do some of you seasoned guys suppress the overwhelming emotional wave that comes with trying to perform a sad song or a song that pushes all the buttons?

I would really learn the trick to suppressing that emotional wave.
Never heard that song before. For a dying man on the tracks, he sure communicated very poetically. But seriously, that was a sad song. I got a lump in my throat as I was picturing the scene.

I had to listen to "A Boy Named Sue" after that one.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
…I would really learn the trick to suppressing that emotional wave.
Hi Johnny K

Not one of my goals (to suppress emotion).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write