The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Thanks Jim. This now frees me up for more time on your sweet OM coming!
Sounds great! Can't wait!
Old 04-27-2016, 08:59 AM

Default … It will not be there long!

Quote:
Well, we've finished the first "shop" guitar of the year. We'll see how long it sticks around. There will be a detailed Marketplace thread on all the specs at some point, but the highlights are that it is a Engelmann/Bubinga CS with Honduran RW bindings and rosette and Indian RW peghead. 25.4" scale, light strings.

Thanks for watching the build (such as it was) and I hope you like the pics. We'll try to get it recorded before too long, so you can hear its well-balanced voice. The trebles are some of the clearest we've heard in a while.

Thanks again. We'll start the thread on the next "shop" guitar fairly soon.
I can assure you this guicar will not be there long… I remember one CS in Bubinga you guys built on spec...as I recall it wasn't even finished before it was claimed!

Congratulations! Another beautiful Kinnaird guitar build!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 04-27-2016, 10:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Bob for the testimonial. Though if anyone is interested, I have started a Marketplace thread for this guitar that includes the AGF special price.

Please check it out: 2016 Stephen Kinnaird Sitka/Bubinga CS

We'll try to get some sound clips soon!

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

Last edited by nacluth; 04-27-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Jim. This now frees me up for more time on your sweet OM coming!

Rog, Probably similar to what you're hearing. Definitely not as dry as Mahogany, but not quite the fullness of overtones as Rosewoods. Bubinga is called from time to time African Rosewood, but while it has some nuance to its timbre, it doesn't quite reverb like a rosewood. It sounds great for what it is though. Dense and bright, it gives a bell-like quality across the scale. I would think this instrument would be a dream to record with.
Cool. It's certainly very pretty. And heavy, too.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

With one guitar done to fill up the model selection at our shop, it's time to start the next guitar. Time doesn't stop rolling and neither can we. (Side note: we had a repair customer stop by the shop and he got to play the newly minted Bubinga CS. Doing work already. ) Our next "shop" guitar is a Redwood/E. Indian Rosewood FS with a cutaway. This is our 12 fretter fingerstyle model that may be one of the warmest sounding models on the planet. Lush and lyrical, it has always been a favorite of mine. The hope is that the Redwood provides some sparkle in the trebles while the EIR accentuates the warm aura this model produces. Here's what we started with:

Steve and I laid out the materials and wanted to get a clean, refined looking instrument when all was said and done since this may end up at Santa Barbara in September. The top - while not sinker - is rich and dark with only a hint of brightness near the edges. The EIR is uniform and that dark purple-y brown that says "Indian." We matched some Macassar Ebony bindings with white/black/white purfling to give it a more formal feel. We then thought a simple pearl rosette might keep it straight down the pipe and classy. Here's what the plates looked like after gluing them up.

I've got plenty more, but this is just a taste of what's coming. Thanks for following along in the thread. If you want, I'm trying to keep the first page updated as kind of a table of contents that you can use to find all the content from the thread. TGIF!

Old 05-02-2016, 08:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Ok, getting along the road with this FS, here's a pic of us bending the sides. East Indian looks beautiful with a little water sprayed on it - and of all the rosewoods, it bends great...typically.

But since this is a 12 fret guitar, we thought the future owner might enjoy having a cutaway in it, so there's some extra bending required.

And then magically, as if we're skipping through the dew here in East Texas, the rim assembly is not only put together for shape, but the back is already on awaiting the top to close the box.

As you can see with our very expedited photologue, this guitar is coming along nicely. I'll have some more pics in our journey coming along shortly.

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

That is going to be very pretty indeed!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Looking good fellas!
Old 05-02-2016, 04:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks guys!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-02-2016, 08:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm lovin' what you guys do with East Indian Rosewood. Hands down, my favorite wood to work with, because it's so compliant and trustworthy. I think this wood is way under-rated, simply because it is sustainably grown and harvested, and relatively abundant and inexpensive. If EIR was as rare as some of the other high-end exotics, no doubt the cost would go through the roof.
I have about five sets of old growth EIR that have a tap tone almost indistinguishable from my best Cocobolo and Brazilian sets. I'm always pleased when a client asks me to build with this wood.
Great work, as always, Dudes! Carry on!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:17 PM

I had (HAD) never liked or even respected EIR OR Sitka - Until I got my F1 from Steve and Ryan.

Kick butt!

'Nuff said.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
I had (HAD) never liked or even respected EIR OR Sitka - Until I got my F1 from Steve and Ryan.

Kick butt!

'Nuff said.

Chris
Thanks for the testimonial Chris! Glad the F1 was able to change opinions on some under appreciated woods.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:03 AM

Default Or just maybe...

Quote:
Thanks for the testimonial Chris! Glad the F1 was able to change opinions on some under appreciated woods.
Or maybe, just maybe, it has more to do with builders than the wood choice?!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 05-06-2016, 08:34 AM

Pretty sure I concur with Tucker on that point, but Indian Rosewood is an excellent wood. I have had several great sounding guitars made with it!
Martin J-41
Old 05-06-2016, 10:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks guys. I'll take your word for it that it's the builder not the materials.

So a little more progress shots on the FS. First up, we did get the top glued on to the box, so you get a picture of our boat of clamps.

After we did that, we did a lot of barely essential steps like trim the top down to the sides, level the sides flat, and rout for purfling and bindings. The next step worth taking a picture of is of masking tape holding purling lines on.

And of course why have a picture of just weak masking tape when you can have one as well of strong binding tape. It's 80+ degrees here so we have to work on beach towels.

And why not one more pic of Steve using and old fashioned piece of steel to scrape down the bindings.

Thanks for following the progress.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop