The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-14-2021, 01:50 PM

Default Tell me the chords please

We saw this act ten days ago in Franklin, TN and this tune was a standout.

I cannot read music, know no theory, and simply cannot figure the chords to a song listening to it. But I can play most anything, strumming, I can see if chords are given.

Starts in G, sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGP1...&t=100s&loop=0

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 11-15-2021, 04:54 AM

You just want the chords from that time-stamp (1:40)?

|G - - - |Em - D - |G - - - |Em - D - |

|G - D/F# - |Am - - - |D - - - |

|G - - - |Cmaj7 - - - |G - - - |Cmaj7 - - - |

|C - - - |Em - - - |Am - - - |D___

That takes you up to the break at 2:25.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Would be interested in how you determined the chords. Just by listening, or....?

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 11-15-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:

|G - - - |Em - D - |G - - - |Em - D - |

|G - D/F# - |Am - - - |D - - - |

|C - - - |Em - - - |Am - - - |D___

That takes you up to the break at 2:25.
No, sorry, but thank you.

I did not know I was setting it to the mid-song time. I meant it to start from the beginning.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 11-16-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Would be interested in how you determined the chords. Just by listening, or....?
Listening, assisted by Transcribe! software to help me listen. https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html I.e., to enable easy looping and playing along, not to actually identify anything.
In this case, I found the chords pretty easy to hear without any assistance, but I always like to use that to be 100% sure (rather than 95%...).
Old 11-16-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
No, sorry, but thank you.

I did not know I was setting it to the mid-song time. I meant it to start from the beginning.
OK!

Verse
|G - - - |Cmaj7 - - - |G - D/F# - |Em - - - |
|Am7 - - - |D - - - |

Chorus
|Em - D - |G - - - |Em - D - |G - - - |
|Em - D - |G - D/F# - |Am7 - - - |D* ____ |

That repeats, and then its more or less up to where I started last time.

Occasionally the chords sound a little more interesting than that - eg., maybe an add9 on the C or the Am; maybe a 7th on the Em.

*There seems to be an add4 (G) on the D in the break, first time; i.e., he seems to arpeggiate this shape: x-5-4-0-3-x.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:37 AM

I think everyone should practice transcription. This song uses most of the cowboy chords. Print out a lyric sheet and grab a pencil. The more you do it the better you'll get.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 11-16-2021, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Some other tips for figuring out the chords by ear...

Determine the key that the tune is in so that, knowing simple diatonic theory, you know what chords to expect. You can do this in several ways. One is to find a note that seems to work with everything you hear in the tune (well, more to it than that, but that would be another post and this idea is a good starting point). Another is to listen to the last notes of the tune and determine that chord since a tune usually ends on the tonic.

Listen to the bass since it usually lays the root at the beginning of a measure and on chord changes.

Learn simple diatonic theory so that you know what chords go together in a key. This will help minimize the "hunt and peck" method of finding the chords.

As JonPR mentioned - Transcribe! to slow down and loop a tune, since this software can also handle videos as well as MP3s.

As BrooklynBob said, practice transcribing tunes because it is only by doing it that you get better at it. After a while, you will begin to recognize the sound of a major chord and that of a minor chord as well as dominant chords, making the whole process that much easier.

Tony
Old 11-16-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Listening, assisted by Transcribe! software to help me listen. https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html I.e., to enable easy looping and playing along, not to actually identify anything.
In this case, I found the chords pretty easy to hear without any assistance, but I always like to use that to be 100% sure (rather than 95%...).
I downloaded the free 30 day version of transcribe! Only problem is it will take me 30 days just to figure out how to get a song into the program.I am computer illiterate and the lack of clear directions with this will have me deleting this program very soon.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes1971 View Post
I downloaded the free 30 day version of transcribe! Only problem is it will take me 30 days just to figure out how to get a song into the program.I am computer illiterate and the lack of clear directions with this will have me deleting this program very soon.
If you have an audio file on your hard drive (MP3 etc), you can just open it with Transcribe. (Right click, Open with...)

If not - it's on youtube or somewhere - you can record it with Transcribe as it plays. Click the microphone button to get a record window. When you stop recording, just click OK to open a transcription window.
But the problem there - for the computer illiterate (and I'm not exactly highly literate myself) is if you don't see any level when the track is playing: then you need to fiddle with your sound device controls, or select a different device in the drop-down menu in Transcribe's record window. There are good instructions in the Help file.

Personally, I've always found this program the most transparent and user-friendly of any program of any kind that I've ever used. But then you do have to be able to get it working to start with...
Old 11-18-2021, 09:11 PM

I try to do everything by ear when I can and what has been helpful to me in finding the chords - is to play the melody and watch where the note are for each few notes before the voice change and often I can see the shape of the chord for those notes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write