The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-24-2022, 01:10 AM

Default Table stand options for Neumann TLM 49 Mic

Hi all,

I'm thinking of using the Neumann TLM 49 microphone in a desk environment. For that purpose, I also purchased the MF3 table stand, along with the STV 20 microphone stand extension. However, due to the weight and size of the TLM 49 and the height of the STV 20, the whole stand wobbles and is very easy to knock over.

I'm a newbie at this; I was wondering whether there's a shorter compatible extension than the STV 20 and in general, how would you go about this for mounting heavy microphones like the TLM 49 on a table stand.

Thank you for your time.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter74 View Post
Hi all,

I'm thinking of using the Neumann TLM 49 microphone in a desk environment. For that purpose, I also purchased the MF3 table stand, along with the STV 20 microphone stand extension. However, due to the weight and size of the TLM 49 and the height of the STV 20, the whole stand wobbles and is very easy to knock over.

I'm a newbie at this; I was wondering whether there's a shorter compatible extension than the STV 20 and in general, how would you go about this for mounting heavy microphones like the TLM 49 on a table stand.

Thank you for your time.
If you're going to use the shock mount you might need to go with a shorter stand like this Atlas:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hone_Desk.html

Alternatively, Shure makes a 3" post extension:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by Rudy4; 09-24-2022 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

A round Photo Sand Bag, to add to the base of your table top stand, might just be what you are looking for. I can not vouch for how well it works. But I do plan to order one of these myself. They add up to 25 pounds of weight.

The Big Question is the diameter? Obviously if it is to big it will take up to much space on your desktop. I just called them but their tech department is not open on weekends. From the picture I would guess its diameter to be around 12 inches.

While these bags might have been designed for three leg stands, I plan to add one to my already heavy duty Atlas Pro single base stand(similar to the base of your desktop stand, only much bigger and heavier). As I too want extra safety

Here is the store you can order them from:
https://www.sandbagstore.com/cisaemb...SABEgJqRvD_BwE
Old 09-24-2022, 01:12 PM

The sand bag would be too much on the desk for sure, but thanks for the idea anyway.

I'll definitely try the Shure post extension first and if this doesn't work, I'll buy the Atlas stand.

Thank you both!
Old 09-25-2022, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter74 View Post
Hi all,

Thank you for your time.
Don't know what you are going to be recording but if it is musical - vocal and or acoustic guitar ---Myself I would not try to use a nice LDC mic like the TLM 49 on a desk , I'm guessing it is likely sensitive enough to pick up reflections of the top of the desk
Now for Voiceover maybe fine on the desk

Me either way voiceover or music I would instead get a decent mic stand with a boom arm and at the very least get the mic up and suspended inverted if you going to use it at a desk

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 09-25-2022, 05:44 PM

What is your application?

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD