The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-26-2021, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Definite yes. I'm one of those people whose growing up experiences with Christmas/Hannukah were a hodgepodge of inconsistency and unfulfilled wants. The ability to shop for myself and have control over the process is a welcome relief...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-26-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:49 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Definite yes. I'm one of those people whose growing up experiences with Christmas/Hannukah are a hodgepodge of inconsistency and unfulfilled wants. The ability to shop for myself and have control over the process is a welcome relief...
Yeah me too. My mother was not a nice person so I never received a single present as a child: no birthdays, no Christmas, nothing. That's life I guess so I've been making up for lost ground in my later years, probably not in a healthy way but at least I can afford it without incuring debt.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

yes. ho ho ho

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 11-26-2021, 02:39 PM

No. I'll buy myself 'gifts' throughout the year when I get the inkling. I don't buy just because it's Christmas. If I didn't buy throughout the year then yes I would.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
No. I'll buy myself 'gifts' throughout the year when I get the inkling. I don't buy just because it's Christmas. If I didn't buy throughout the year then yes I would.
This fits with where my wife and I are right now. Although every now and then we make a pact to buy a Christmas gift for each other that's like no more than 10 dollars or something like that. Then it's a quest to find something stupid but useable! LOL! We put all efforts at the holidays toward daughters and grand kids which is where we get the most enjoyment.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-26-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Are you calling them all Christmas presents or are you just buying? I'm good at buying, but I take November and December off to give my family a chance. I'll pick it up again after the holidays.

No, just buying. I’m generous with my family as well.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:25 PM

I like buying gifts for people which are completely out of left field.

My brother tries to be a chef in the kitchen. He does pretty good, but his knives are a mishmash of pieces from the Publix housewares aisle.

So, I purchased him a Japanese chef's knife which was recommended by one of the Hibachi chef's at a local restaurant. I figure if anyone's gonna' know about good knives one of these guys will. The knife this particular chef uses is just south of $600 and, while I didn't go that deep, it's still in the lower-to-mid three figures.

I'm also considering getting him a Henckel's knife block set.

He's also a bourbon connoisseur, and I've got a few bottles scoped out for him.

All Mom wants is a three night stay at the new Embassy Suites here in St. Augustine. We get her the ultimate suite; about $500 a night, but a buddy of mine who's a chef in their restaurant always gets me a better deal. Mom's 87 and, if that's all she wants, well, then that what she'll get. She enjoys having her friends over from her retirement community for a slumber party...
Old 11-26-2021, 03:52 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
Mom's 87 and, if that's all she wants, well, then that what she'll get. She enjoys having her friends over from her retirement community for a slumber party...
That's so cool....

Old 11-26-2021, 07:47 PM

Yes and no. I’m a very financially practical person. I don’t necessarily enjoy spending money but I hate wasting it or seeing it wasted. After a few years of my wife and me guessing and wasting money on each other we now tell each other what we want. No real Christmas Day surprises but no let downs or wasted gifts either. Honestly like most ppl I am blessed to be able to get things I want throughout the year so Christmas really isn’t about the gifts anymore. I try to spend the time with family around that special day and try to wind my kids up real good. They are 6 this year so I get a kick out of cranking them up. Lol
Old 11-26-2021, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Do you buy yourself Christmas presents?
Yes, I do, all year long. Which frustrates Mrs. Tinnitus when I can't think of anything I need come December.

Another glaring fault I have is gifting things to friends and family on a whim throughout the year. When I buy you hybrid bike tires in June, hiking sticks in February or guitar strings in August, why would I want to sit on them until next Christmas?

Sheesh!!!
Old 11-26-2021, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

I don’t buy myself presents, but I have beeen known to take advantage of a good sale to get something for myself.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:28 AM

I usually call fun purchases for myself Christmas presents when they happen in December and birthday presents in August.
Christian

Last edited by birkenweg42; 11-27-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:02 AM

I always found gift-giving at Christmas a royal pain-in-the-proverbial. I'd waste hours trawling round stores trying to find gifts that were 'right' for my small family of parents, brother, uncle and aunt. What made it more grueling was that as I lived overseas and ended up in various countries, I felt a kind of pressure to buy presents that had some kind of local flavour to them, and on a budget this was not so easy. Christmas being in December also meant that it was one of the busiest times of the year for me in terms of grading (I'm a teacher), so spending an entire Saturday wandering from store to store in Rome, Madrid or George Town was a luxury I could ill afford.

When our parents and the rest of the family died, my brother and I decided to put an end to exchanging gifts between each other. I still give a really nice gift to my wife because it makes her happy, but I settle for something simple from her, like a shirt or whatever. That works for us.

That's not to say I don't like Christmastime. I do; in fact, it's my favourite time of the year. I love the cold weather, the lights, the Christmas tree, the daft movies on the TV, the time off from work, the hustle and bustle and commotion of it all. I just don't like ritualized and compulsory gift-giving, that's all.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

I'm a pretty good gift giver. I do buy gifts for myself. But Christmas I usually save for giving to others.

Toys for tots is a great cause they usually get $150 or so of sports equipment.

I'll buy for those I love.

I like to find someone who would never think they would get a gift from me. And give them something they need.

This year I not sure what will happen.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

For everyone else my wife does the present shopping and most of it comes off of the Christmas lists. Between the two of us we have our little lists for each other but we always find each other something special, a surprise, that isn't on the list that we open together after everyone else has left and we've cleaned up the mess. It is never something useful, it is always something special.

This little Christmas tradition has been going on for forty years. I spend a significant amount of time looking for just the right thing and I've never thought of it as time wasted. I'm not a particularly pragmatic person and have never valued my time over most other considerations. I've always got time.

I know, it sounds silly, but that's what we do.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic