The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
When checking intonation there are slight degrees of "out" that show up on iStrobosoft but do not show up on less sensitive tuners. You can only be as precise as what the tuner will show you.
Is that data useful for a person tuning a guitar, rather than intonating it?
Quote:
And beyond that, there is a Harmonic add-on (additional $$$) for iStrobosoft that will show far more information than any other hardware or software tuner I've seen.
Same question.

I have the iStrobosoft app on my phone, but I find that the Unitune gets me in tune. I have checked it against the Peterson and Airyware, they agree. I use the Unitune to tune up to play. The Airyware phone app is my next choice, with the Peterson third, as it wiggles around quite a bit.

BTW, everything with Peterson is "(additional $$$)." Meanwhile, you can get a hardware tuner for $10 that will put you in tune as well as Peterson does.

Last edited by Purfle Haze; 11-26-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the heads up! I bought a 3 uni-tunes...one for me and two for a couple of buddies. Guess I missed the PolyTune sale, but a happy camper none the less.
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)
Old 11-27-2021, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
I was responding to a post by Lillis who said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I received mine yesterday. I like it. certainly worth the $25 sale price. I’m looking forward to using the strobe mode today to dial in the intonation on my new Telecaster.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 11-27-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
What determines (limits) a tuner’s precision? Microphone? Software? Graphic interface?

I spoke with a development engineer at Peterson, and asked him how their $5000 true strobe tuners are calibrated, and he kind chuckled and said they basically have a snark-type microchip that continuously calibrates the spinning wheels.

Truth is, modern microchip tuners are as accurate and precise as anything out there. It comes down to the interface format, and how precisely YOU can apply the displayed information to your instrument. The digital peterson strobe tuners are just a snark or unitune with a nicer, bigger display depicting a strobe wheel.

They are nice (I have a desk top and clip on) but find their mic/peizo too sensitive, even with the optional clip on extension.
Yes, it all comes down to the resolution of the display. I have used Snarks for several years. They work fine, but I always felt I couldn’t see minor intonation differences I wanted to see. The Unitune has a finer resolution in the display.

However, there is, I think, a practical limit to how much resolution actually helps. Guitar intonation is affected by setup, varitions in fret dressing and position, saddle position, even minute variations in string thickness over then length of the string.

Tuner companies like to advertise their accuracy, but you’re not seeing it on the display. I would rather see them advertise display resolution AND the internal resolution. I’d love to compare the display resolution of the Snark vs the Unitune.

FWIW, I found the resolution of the Unitune strobe mode too much. It never really settles down. It’s kind of like calculating your gas milage to ten decimals. Why?

I like the Unitune. I just think the strobe mode is overkill. YMMV.

John
Old 11-27-2021, 08:11 AM

I'd imagine if you're between songs standing in front of a roomful of people, almost anything beyond a basic Snark or something is "overkill" in the sense of you're not going to take time to tune perfectly.

If you're sitting at home getting ready to record yourself playing, even if it takes a couple minutes to completely nail down each string (and compromise if necessary by tuning each string at several different frets) then it's worth having all the precision you can get.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 11-27-2021, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengstrom View Post

I like the Unitune. I just think the strobe mode is overkill. YMMV.

John
Same here. Thats why I use the poly or unitune on needle setting 99% of the time. If I use the peterson strobe clip, I CANNOT tune it “just close enough”! Not happy until wheel is stopped cold in its tracks, and that takes up most of the playing time.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-27-2021, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post

Same question.

I have the iStrobosoft app on my phone, but I find that the Unitune gets me in tune. I have checked it against the Peterson and Airyware, they agree. I use the Unitune to tune up to play. The Airyware phone app is my next choice, with the Peterson third, as it wiggles around quite a bit.

BTW, everything with Peterson is "(additional $$$)." Meanwhile, you can get a hardware tuner for $10 that will put you in tune as well as Peterson does.
Just like everything with Martin, Maton, Collings and so forth is extra $$$.

If a $10 tuner get's you there great.

By that reasoning, the $300 Seagull, will sound just as good as a $3000 Martin.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Just like everything with Martin, Maton, Collings and so forth is extra $$$.

If a $10 tuner get's you there great.

By that reasoning, the $300 Seagull, will sound just as good as a $3000 Martin.
You can't get there with a $10 tuner? You may know, the Peterson iStrobosoft software for iPhone costs...

$9.99

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion