The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2015, 06:28 PM

Default 30 minute guitar lessons?

So I've been playing on, and off now for around 10 years, or so. And recently I've decided to take lessons, because I haven't been progressing at the rate that I would like to. My amazing Girlfriend got me a month's worth of lessons for my birthday, and my first one is this coming monday. I'm really excited to finally be getting some formal instruction, but what should I expect? can they really cram anything of value into 30 min sessions?
Old 04-17-2015, 06:47 PM

Absolutely without question!!!!!
Old 04-17-2015, 06:56 PM

Yes. Especially since you've already been playing for a while. You're not starting from scratch. You just need a little direction.
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
Old 04-17-2015, 06:59 PM

Just great. Be on time, be in tune, and learn all you can.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 04-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Yes absolutely! If... you practice what your teacher tells you to.

I used to be terrible about actually practicing what I was supposed to and therefore didn't get as much out of my lessons as I now know that I could have.

-Mike
Old 04-17-2015, 07:35 PM
Eric Skye

I do thirty minute lessons. It's way more than enough. I do offer hour long lessons. Sometimes people do it for a while then switch back. I have some students that are very advanced, and there's a lot of playing together, and that makes a lot of sense for them. And a few that frankly have the money and seemingly want to have a social component - and I'm okay with that. But usually people's cups are running over after thirty minutes.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:46 PM

Yes, 30 minutes are the standard for any music instrument lessons. But the better answer to your question, is, "probably". Few guitar teachers can teach all styles, some have strong opinions about what is best for you, he/she may try to convince you that a lot of music theory is important for you regardless of your goals, some are just not skilled teachers, etc., etc. and it may take you some time to conclude that this or that specific guitar teacher is not for you.
Blueridge BR-01
Bedell TB-24-G Cedar
Fishman Loudbox Artist Acoustic Amp
Focusrite Scarlett Interface
Helicon Harmonizer
Old 04-17-2015, 08:52 PM

I started trying to learn to play last summer, been using justinguitar site and JamPlay....

I was learning good fundamentals but reached the point where I just didn't know how to put it all together...

I started lessons a few weeks ago with a teacher I seem to connect with...

He asked a lot of questions of me about the music I liked and what style I wanted to get into...

The best thing I'm getting is specific direction and practice goals...also get things pointed out that I'm doing wrong and how to change those things...I always leave with a couple of written lessons that I can understand, and I seem to be learning more every day...I record our lesson session and my practice at home at my teachers suggestion, definitely helps...

I feel that I'm making progress and that's what keeps me motivated...I definitely have lost that feeling that I'm overwhelmed and floundering...

And yeah, after 30 minutes I feel like I've absorbed all that I can handle that day...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar, lessons, playing