The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-23-2016, 03:07 PM

Default Recuerdos De La Alhambra by Francisci Tarrega Dean Zimmerman (me) on guitar

This is still a work in progress

Last edited by dean18; 03-24-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:43 PM

An iconic piece of guitar music!

Great job, it ain't easy!
Old 03-24-2016, 12:24 AM

Excellent!
Old 03-24-2016, 05:34 AM

Default Thanks

I've removed this and gone back to the drawing board.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:13 AM

Even though there were a few very small imperfections, I thought you played it well!
2005 Alvarez AC60SC
2005 Alvarez MC90C
Steel
2002 Martin OMC18VLJ signature
2003 Mauel McCloud Custom
Old 03-24-2016, 02:54 PM

Default Thanks but...

There were a few things that started to bug me. I think I got some things right but I thought that I played the accompaniment too loud and that the melody didn't stand out as much as it could. I also thought that I could do more with the overall dynamics. I'm working on it quite a bit and hope to have my 2nd and, hopefully, improved version next week.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

I caught it yesterday right before you took it down. Lots of good things going on, but I can see why you may have thought it below your standards.
What I recall is: It needs to "calm down" a bit, i.e. be evened out tempo and dynamics wise. Ironically, that means you may need to speed it up for the sake of the melody, while relaxing and balancing out the thumb accompaniment. It's an extremely challenging piece to play well, mostly because the technique involved is very difficult to master, and without the technique in place, it's nearly impossible to pull off the dynamic contrast and tonal beauty that will showcase the highly emotional and evocative melody.
From watching your videos I have no doubt that you have the ability to do it. But it might require a good amount of slow practice in your drawing board room to get the proper right hand control in place, and perhaps more than a week.
Good luck with it all. It's a beautiful piece. An iconic piece, as riffmeister said.
(P.S: I also noted you cut the piece short in that first video clip. Was that intentional, or part of your own arrangement? Just curious. Not being judgemental about it.)

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-31-2016, 02:14 PM

Default I agree

Your evaluations are all pretty much right on. I hope I did most of it in the new version. It's certainly far from perfect but i can always do another version some day. I didn't do the repeats 'cause I usually feel like skipping them when I listen to other versions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
classical guitar, dean zimmerman, francisco tárrega, recuerdos de la alhambra, spain