The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood99 View Post
Somehow playing finger style with others just doesn’t seem appealing to me.
Time to check out some Pentangle records!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-23-2021, 06:49 AM

I’m social enough I guess but ever since I started playing just before college in the mid 70’s I’ve been a solitary guy. I’m not fond of the descriptor “singer/songwriter” but that best describes me.

I’ve been in bands but prefer to play the music I want to play, how I want to play it. I like the flexibility of being alone. Can change things on the fly and keep my own pace.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle Dee View Post
Vincent van Gogh painted his pictures regardless of public opinion and I don't think he did it because he thought it was fun.

He was compelled to paint and even though he didn't sell a single painting he continued to generate some of the finest art the world has ever seen.

I find the premise of this thread somewhat condescending. If someone wishes to play music by themselves, I don't think it's "sad and surprising", it's just what they choose to do.
Exactly. For some of us, music is therapeutic and on the rare occasions where it's shared with others it's all the more precious.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

I've played with others sometimes when we had a singer and we were strumming some pretty simple chord progressions. That's fun.

99.9% of the time I play solo fingerstyle and I really have a lot less desire to play in front of people or an audience. I prefer to practice hard and produce a good recording for not only myself but also one I can share.

I pariticipated in a virtual guitar recital earlier this year. All the participants were asked to submit two videos of songs they played and then participate in a Zoom recital where the videos were played to all. It was great. We were all together in real time sharing our music with each other but with the removal of the pressure to perform live.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-23-2021, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Back in the 70s I was in a band with Brian Ray and a couple other guys. We practiced and played a gig or two but never really went very far. I kept playing music on my own but got a straight gig. Brian, though, was all guitar, all the time. He hooked up with Etta James and was her musical director for several years. Later he hooked up with Paul McCartney and he's been playing live gigs with Paul since that first Super Bowl gig. Hard work and dedication can pay off.
The McCartney Super Bowl story is an all time great. Apparently, your friend thought he auditioned for the one gig. After the Super Bowl he found out the Super Bowl was the audition when McCartney pulled him aside and said, you passed the audition, welcome to the band.

GE Smith had another great story when his manager called him and said Bob Dylan was in New York and wanted to play, and could he get some guys together to play with him. Well Dylan called some obscure songs and they played them. Dylan liked them and said you're hired. GE Smith had just gotten the Saturday Night Live gig, and told Dylan he couldn't. Dylan asked what days the SNL gig was, Smith said Thurs through Sat. Dylan booked no shows on those days the whole time GE Smith played with him.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion