The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2021, 06:51 PM

Default 2001 Martin 000-28H

I just bought a 2001 Martin 000-28H. I wasn't in the market for one but for the price (around the cost of a new 000-17) I couldn't pass it up. The guitar is in really fine condition. It's obviously been well cared for, is a joy to play and sounds wonderful.

My other guitar (Waterloo WL-14X) has a 1-3/4 nut and wider string spacing at the bridge than the Martin so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it. But it's quite nice.

One thing that's kind of strange is the case. It has this green velour lining that is discolored to a reddish tint most noticeably where the neck sits and where the top part of the lower bout touches the lining. I'm guessing that's from skin oil or sweat? Is this something is common with older TKL cases? I'm wondering if it's even the original case because it's dated 2005 on the card with the keys.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 06-02-2021, 07:04 PM

Joe, I can’t tell you anything about the case, but will congratulate you on snagging one of Martin’s greatest but least-known guitars. The 000-28H is basically an Eric Clapton model with a modern neck. When they were in production they sold for about $1000 less than the 000-28EC (that’s how much extra that inlaid Clapton signature on the fretboard costs you!)

Anyway, the “re-imagined” 000-28 Martin’s making now is very similar to the 000-28H, so you got a good deal on a fine guitar. Hang onto it because it wasn’t a commercial success, so as a result not many of them got made.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-02-2021, 07:13 PM

Thanks Wade!
Fender EJ Strat
Old 06-21-2021, 02:52 PM

It's been about 3 weeks since NGD and I'm loving this 000. Finally got around to taking a few photos:

The rosewood back and sides are just lovely!

Fender EJ Strat
Old 06-21-2021, 03:50 PM

I’m glad you’re enjoying this dandy little Triple O, but I’m not the least bit surprised!

whm
Old 06-22-2021, 03:34 AM
Charter Member

I've had a couple of those green velour-lined cases, and they all faded like yours. No idea why, but they were still very good cases.

Nice guitar, congratulations!
Old 06-22-2021, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

First off, congratulations on the great find. Sounds like these were the 000-28 reimagined before they reimagined them! I hope you love it!

Second, Wade, speaking as one who just recently bought an 000-28EC, some of us (at least ONE of us) spent the considerable extra money not for the signature engraved on the fretboard, but for the neck itself. I personally love a Mod-V and don't like the MLO much at all (having owned both). Turns out the Mod-V on the Clapton model is a good deal beefier than the one on the CEO-7 (which felt perfect to me instantly when I bought that guitar), but I'm adapting well to it and vastly prefer it to the MLO. It IS a big uncharge for a neck (and signature, I guess), but this should be a lifetime guitar, so that money will fade into insignificance over time. Whereas a neck will always either feel right or NOT feel right. So well worth it to me... Believe me, if I could have gotten the same guitar with the same neck, but they charged the same or less for one without the signature, I'd have been all over it!

-Ray
Old 06-22-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I've had a couple of those green velour-lined cases, and they all faded like yours. No idea why, but they were still very good cases.

Thanks Ken! Also, good to know about the cases.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 06-22-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Joe, I can’t tell you anything about the case, but will congratulate you on snagging one of Martin’s greatest but least-known guitars. The 000-28H is basically an Eric Clapton model with a modern neck. When they were in production they sold for about $1000 less than the 000-28EC (that’s how much extra that inlaid Clapton signature on the fretboard costs you!)

Anyway, the “re-imagined” 000-28 Martin’s making now is very similar to the 000-28H, so you got a good deal on a fine guitar. Hang onto it because it wasn’t a commercial success, so as a result not many of them got made.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
There were a few other differences as well between the 000-28H and the 000-28EC, at least back then. 1 11/16" at the nut vs 1 3/4." Different bracing. Neck Valoute. The 000-28H has gradually become an EC without the signature, but for many years the differences were significant.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
There were a few other differences as well between the 000-28H and the 000-28EC, at least back then. 1 11/16" at the nut vs 1 3/4." Different bracing. Neck Valoute. The 000-28H has gradually become an EC without the signature, but for many years the differences were significant.
That's interesting. I don't know much about the 000-28EC except that they're lovely. I played one at my local shop and thought it was great. My recollection was that the biggest difference was the neck and the 1-3/4" nut, as you mention.

I contacted Martin when I purchased the guitar and they sent me the 000-28H spec sheet for the early 2000's production run: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FQG...ew?usp=sharing
Fender EJ Strat
Old 09-15-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

Mystery solved!

I just had the guitar to an excellent local luthier for some freshening up. He replaced the first 8 frets, rounded and polished the rest and made a new bone nut.

While I was picking it up I asked him about the discoloration in the case. He told me that they all do it and it's a result of the glue used in the manufacturing of the case. It's only discolored where the guitar touches. He said it was nothing to worry about regarding the finish on the guitar.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 09-15-2021, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Hi Joe,

Congrats on the Martin 000-28H. These are cool guitars!

Can't help you about the case thing... I have no idea why that would happen.

- Glenn
Old 09-15-2021, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Wade, speaking as one who just recently bought an 000-28EC, some of us (at least ONE of us) spent the considerable extra money not for the signature engraved on the fretboard, but for the neck itself. I personally love a Mod-V and don't like the MLO much at all (having owned both). Turns out the Mod-V on the Clapton model is a good deal beefier than the one on the CEO-7 (which felt perfect to me instantly when I bought that guitar), but I'm adapting well to it and vastly prefer it to the MLO.

-Ray
100% agree on the neck issue ^^

The 000-28H was originally made with the Low Profile neck (not the MLO) and had 1 11/16 nut with 2 1/8” string spacing on a short scale length. The combination of that shallow depth neck combined with the short scale produced one of the skinniest Martin necks of all time and an E-to-e string spacing suitable mostly for kid size hands.

Jon Garon used to make a custom version of these and yes they were terrific in all but the neck.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-16-2021, 10:19 AM

Stopped by the local guitar shop this morning for some small things (also to see if there's anything new hanging on the wall) and took a closer look at the 000-28EC they've got.

You're right about the neck profile @raysachs and @brencat - it's thicker with a soft V. So that is a significant difference between the EC and the H.

But really, my hands are adult-sized and I don't have any problems with the low profile neck on mine.
Fender EJ Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion