The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-17-2020, 05:06 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Nice work! Love the shading effect.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Nice work! Love the shading effect.
Thanks Dennis
I think that turned out exceptionally nice.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Since the body came back from the finish wizard last week John and I have been going back and forth on bridge, fingerboard and headstock overlay selections.

We ended up with a Brazilian RW trio.

With so many other things going on with the body, top and bevel we wanted to keep things simple and elegant. The fingerboard was always to be very dark and we were transfixed on the idea of a jet black fingerboard - no nonsense pure business. But in an A/B comparison I gravitated towards an overall-dark-with-a-slight-tinge-of-brown look to soften it a little. The bridge will also darken up dramatically to match the fingerboard. As for the headstock overlay ... let’s just say it was over the moment I clicked on that email.

Neck work is going on furiously and I expect John to update with some pics soon-ish.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:25 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Hanter, This is just simply turning out to be a gorgeous guitar! Not that I expected anything else, but you guys have done a nice job of creating a beauty!! Not to mention, Tony always just knocks the finish work out of the park!!

It won't be long now!!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 11-21-2020, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Default West Coast build for Hanter

Some updates.

The wood that goes under the fretboard extension is attached. It’s dovetailed into place then glued.

John cuts the frets by hand. That’s how he does it!

The headstock is then shaped and overlayed with the beautiful landscaping Brazilian. Had a hard time deciding if we needed to purfle the headstock as I really like the clean unpurfled look as well. In the end we went for it and I’m glad it happened!

For the backstrap John selected a really nice Cocobolo with striking grain and the slightest tinge of sap, this matches the back perfectly. From this photo you can also see the multi-piece laminated neck which has Honduran Mahogany, Fiddleback Mahogany and African Blackwood down the middle.

Then the fingerboard extension got an elaborate Fiddleback Tree swoosh design, EVO gold frets installed and they went for a suntan.

I am loving how the Fiddleback pops on the fingerboard and headstock. The Brazilian fingerboard is also gorgeous and has great character.

Won’t be long now and we still have a couple of interesting features in the pocket! Neck carve to suit my small hands in progress.

This neck will be satin finished as I prefer the smoothness and hassle-free nature of satin. The headstock and backstrap will be gloss though!
Old 11-23-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Neck carve is almost done.

I realized that in the last post I mentioned that you are able to see the African Blackwood as part of the center strip laminate, I was mistaken. But here you can see it for sure.

The heel cap is also Mahogany from The Fiddleback Tree but you can’t really see the sparkle here yet.

In other news, my Visesnut arrived! Complete with the padded case cover. My first time using this super lightweight case and I’m excited because of all the rave reviews. The simple black exterior and deep blue interior complements the guitar very nicely. Thanks to John for going through the extra effort in making this happen. I originally went for a custom Ameritage and decided against it later on, after the case arrived, but John was super accommodating and said no problem. What a top guy.

Old 11-23-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Smile Wow

That top is OVER THE TOP!

What a beauty. And I hope for a review of the visesnut case as well as the guitar...

Won't be much longer now.

Do give me a call and let's yak guitars!

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-23-2020, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Thumbs up for Visenut!

The guitar looks incredible, Hanter--can't wait to hear it!

You will love the Visenut case--lightweight and great protection. The adjustability feature is also a big plus. I have 3 of them (blue, red, and black) and the one similar to yours traveled to Ireland with me and kept my Bourgie safe and sound throughout the 3-week adventure!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-23-2020, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
The guitar looks incredible, Hanter--can't wait to hear it!

You will love the Visenut case--lightweight and great protection. The adjustability feature is also a big plus. I have 3 of them (blue, red, and black) and the one similar to yours traveled to Ireland with me and kept my Bourgie safe and sound throughout the 3-week adventure!

Thanks Nemoman. Indeed the lightweight factor was what swayed me towards this case. For the price I would assume decent protection too. I have high expectations for this case!
Old 11-24-2020, 06:53 AM
Music soothes the soul!

John has really come through with a beauty this time. You must be anxious as can be. I know I would be. I'd echo the thoughts on a Visenut. I have one and wish all mine were. Hard to believe they can make such a sturdy light weight case. You'll love it!

Last edited by cigarfan; 11-28-2020 at 06:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-24-2020, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Wow, turning into quite a beauty! I echo everyone's praise for Visesnut cases. They are my favorite. Strong and ultra-light.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
John has really come through with a beauty this time. You must be anxious as can be. I know I would be. I'd echo the thoughts on a Visenut. I have one and wish all mine were. Had to believe they can make such a sturdy light weight case. You'll love it!
Thanks Dennis. Super anxious but the wait will be worthwhile I'm sure. No rush and John will be putting on some magic touches for the home stretch. Thanks for the affirmation on the Visesnut too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Wow, turning into quite a beauty! I echo everyone's praise for Visesnut cases. They are my favorite. Strong and ultra-light.
Thanks Jamie. I hear fun things may be cooking on the JK front for you as well???
Old 11-24-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanter View Post

Thanks Jamie. I hear fun things may be cooking on the JK front for you as well???
Yes, like Paul I seem to be continuously waiting for a new JK. The new one(s) should be fun.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

As neck is undergoing finish and curing out at the moment, John decided to do some nut and saddle shaping.

I got intrigued by discussions on how nut and saddle affects tone, and wanted to perform some sort of experiment. John, given his background, was of course game for it and we decided to purchase a set of Fossilized Walrus Ivory nut and saddle blank as well as a set of Fossilized Mammoth Ivory nut and saddle blank.

What I have done here though is I have opened myself up to a total of 4 possible permutations:

FWI nut and FWI saddle
FMI nut and FMI saddle
FWI nut and FMI saddle
FMI nut and FWI saddle

Apparently FWI is hard and dense and is considered really top top material and imparts brightness, clarity, volume, definition and fullness in the mids. FMI on the other hand is softer than bone, and it adds warmth, fullness and “fatness” in the trebles and fundamentals. Some say FWI could be too harsh. Some say FMI sounds dull. The person who sold us the blanks recommended a FWI pairing. John will not take sides and he feels that there will be no discernible difference between the two. I just want more options and see what’s suitable for myself.

Ingeniously, John made a small pin to prevent the nut from moving and shifting while also ensuring easy switch. The saddle of course drops right in to the slot.

Whatever the case, I can’t wait to try them out!
Old 11-25-2020, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Smile This will be interesting

Han, it was nice talking with you on the phone. Sorry I had folks working at the house and had to cut it shorter than I would have liked.

I sprung for FWI for my new Saddle, Nut, and bridge pins, too. I blame Mike, as he was selling some nice pins ... like I needed much of a push! Hahahahaha

John was kind enough to oblige me and I expect we will see them soon in their new abode.

I have found all my JKs to have fatness, volume and fullness of tone already, just with his regular bone tone bits.

I do hope I will be able to discern a tonal difference, but they are pretty!

Getting closer and closer to our NGDs!

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop