The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2021, 09:52 AM

Yes, there are a few things happening here for guitars and many other industries as well.
1. COVID led to factory shut downs in 2020, and once open reduced workers, social distancing in factories and reduced production.
2. Demand spiked, once many people were not going on vacation, staying home etc.. there was a huge increase in demand for guitars that has not slowed down yet.
3. Port delays shipping out of Asia and receiving here in the states. Better now but for a time due to COVID sicknesses there was a large back up in off loading boats. This affects USA factories too in the form of cases, parts, raw wood.
4. World wide container shortages. Currently getting actual containers and then securing space on a boat is difficult. Demand for many goods has increased but the amount of shipping containers available and amount of ships to carry them has not. Prices for shipping have doubled or more and larger companies paying more and securing the space a head of smaller ones. Like Apple, Walmart etc... Production is starting to catch up a little but now it's harder to get the finished goods out of Asia.

Expect these types of shortages to go on for a year or more and it will likely get worse going into the Christmas season.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
Ordered an Iris DF in March. I knew at the time delivery would be late summer.
That guitar will be well worth the wait!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-22-2021, 12:13 PM

I ordered a Guild 1512 on 4/30/21 from Mat at Strings By Mail, and the Guild guy told Mat that he expected some in mid June. Now the Guild guy is saying mid July, and with no poly case, just a gig bag. I didn't even know they came in a poly case....
Old 06-22-2021, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Ordered a Custom D-35 in January of 2020. I was supposed to get it in July 2020. When July rolled around I was told that it would be at least another year wait, possibly longer. Which means I probably would still not have it . I canceled the order and found myself an older 2016 D 35 with a 1 11/16 nut. I’m a happy camper.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 06-22-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

I have a Martin custom OM-28 due in March 2022.
1968 Ovation 1111-4 RIP 1968-2021
Old 06-22-2021, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
That guitar will be well worth the wait!

Based on everything I have heard and read, I think so. I kept missing the ones that became available or they were not quite what I wanted. I finally decided to just order it through TNAG. It is being made with an aged Adirondack top that I purchased from Allied Lutherie. Only two months or so to go!! Pardon the pun - but I am stoked!
Old 06-22-2021, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
Based on everything I have heard and read, I think so. I kept missing the ones that became available or they were not quite what I wanted. I finally decided to just order it through TNAG. It is being made with an aged Adirondack top that I purchased from Allied Lutherie. Only two months or so to go!! Pardon the pun - but I am stoked!
As well you should be! If I didn't already have my slope shoulder dread bases covered (Kopp/Walker/AJ) I'd be in line too? The one Carl Miner plays on the TNAG site demo sounds great!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-22-2021, 06:29 PM

A long wait for a guitar I ordered? Yep. I waited 3 1/2 months for my Yamaha LL16-12, 12-string. I'm waiting at the present time for an Eastman AR403CED archtop hollowbody electric I ordered about 1.5 months ago. Nobody at the shop I ordered it from, knows when it will arrive.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 06-22-2021, 08:59 PM

Unhappy

My favorite local guitar store is going out of business at the end of this month, after 30 years, because he's been unable to get in stock. The manufacturing delays killed the store. He's got customers that want to buy but is unable to get guitars, amps or much of anything in stock.

I got a good deal on my new Taylor due to this but would rather have the store still around.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion