The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-18-2017, 06:20 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Is anyone else ewxcept me flying the new Firefox Quantum?

Version 57 showed up and is MUCH faster, basically as fast as greased lightning, in both browsing and tabbing. They tell me it has smaller memory footprint as well.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-18-2017, 07:07 AM

Yes. I was moving dozens of systems back to Firefox even before that upgrade because of compatibility and lower resource use than Chrome.

If one's had Firefox and not used it in a while they should do the "refresh" that might show up or watch for a dialog to update extensions, plugins, add-ons etc....

I only have this new release on a hand full of systems but it seems stable in addition to fast.

In addition to lightening fast on new systems, Firefox really shines with older systems. I have around 50 Windows 7 systems and some older slow spindle drive Macs where IE compatibly and speed issues have popped up. Chrome fanboys started installing it and it made performance worse - resource use. With IE kind of dead on the limb Firefox has brought back compatibility and the performance Chrome sucked away.

As much as I like Firefox, I'm a really big fan of "continuity" so still use Safari too. The cut copy and paste between phone and computer is so nice.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:08 AM

Yes, I installed it Thursday. Really fast. I've been running Firefox for about 8 years, it's steadily improved, but Quantum is amazing.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 11-18-2017, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

It's a lot faster. I don't like the bookmark feature as much though.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Yes, seems a significant improvement except they have stopped supporting legacy addons so I have switched to Waterfox (for now at least) to continue using FireFTP.

I was able to import everything from Firefox in one go and would have to look closely to see any difference, except it too is quicker than the old Firefox.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 11-18-2017, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the reminder!

Back in the day (say, 15 years ago), Omniweb was hands-down the best Mac OS X browser. Pages were gorgeous, speed was better than anything else. Configuration options were abundant—far more than today's browsers. Ad blocking was the default configuration, and no extra apps were needed. Nowadays, Omniweb development is basically a side project, a labor of love for the original designer. It ain't so good anymore.

Today, Safari still looks best and is easiest to navigate, but suffers ongoing compatibility issues, even with the most current updates.

Chrome is fast, but after 5-10 minutes of use causes fans (the kind that cool your computer down) to go crazy. This is true on the 6 or so computers I've tested on. I only keep it around because YouTube works best on it.

Firefox was always the ugliest of the bunch, and as recently as 2016 still could not render pages properly. I stopped using it. But after about 15 minutes mucking around with the new update, I have to say I'm impressed. It STILL has problems rendering pages properly, but the speed is impressive. It's back in my arsenal again.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 11-18-2017, 11:21 AM

My wife and kids are reporting the hate it but that's purely on a change look.

Back in the day - when it first showed up - what people thought was clunky in recent times was innovation.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:42 AM
AGF Administrator

I've been using it since the early developmental builds. When it became stable enough I switched back from Safari and currently use it as my primary browser.

It did break compatibility with two of my favorite extensions, but the change to the WebExtensions API (similar to what Chrome and Opera use) was necessary and I expect them to be updated soon.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:46 PM

I used FF for many years as my primary browser but switched to Chrome earlier this year due to far too many recurring issues with FF. Chrome is just OK IMO. When I’m using my iPad, which is most of the time I use Safari. I might try FF again on my Windows PC.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:13 PM

Yep, it installed automatically overnight with some Windows updates as well. I haven't used it enough today to see if it's faster or not.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:36 PM

I upgraded 2 days ago on my Macbook and it slowed down to a crawl. After cursing a few times and reminding myself that I NEVER update any software without first doing a web search for issues, I restarted my computer and it is now zipping along very nicely.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:53 PM

It's working well for me, on Windows 8.1 - certainly faster. My chief gripe was that its default setup put tabs above the address bar, which I find hopelessly non-intuitively bewildering, and my favourite fix for this (the 'Tabs on bottom' add-on) no longer worked. Fortunately there is a dodge that can be found by Googling the tab issue, and although the dodge was a bit more complicated than I'd have liked, it did work. I now have my tabs where I want them again - below the bookmarks toolbar.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:24 PM

I just recently switched to Chrome as FF was bogging down repeatedly (and locking up), resource meter showed Flash was causing the issue. In Chrome, Flash is still a CPU hog, but at least it doesn't lock up as often (but it still does lock up, requiring a cold boot).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-18-2017, 07:52 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've got it set so that Flash is only loaded on a per-need basis and only when I give permission.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-18-2017, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I have the new version and like it so far... it IS much faster for the small bit of navigating the web I do... I started using Firefox years ago (2004?) because I kept having nothing but issues with Explorer...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic