The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-09-2016, 12:02 PM

Default iPad Recording

My old Dell PC that I use for recording and little else is dying. I want to move to my iPad and use GarageBand for my home recording use and have been reading about iPad interfaces.
The PreSonus AudioBox iOne 2x2 USB/iPad looks to be a good value and I'm wondering if anyone here is using it or recommends another product. One mic with phantom power and one instrument in would be fine. I would like to continue using my powered near field monitors so having 1/4 inch out jacks would be important. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 04-09-2016, 06:00 PM

I have the Apogee One and think it's pretty dandy (one pre), so I'll bet the Apogee Duet is sweet if a bit expensive. For cheaper units check out the Presonus AudioBox iTwo or maybe the Roland Duo Capture EX?
Old 04-09-2016, 10:26 PM

I had the Personus itwo studio kit for a while. I thought it was good value. But I did get my unit for a very good price.
The interface itself seemed stable and worked great. Going from memory it had XLR monitor out. But I have
XLR to TRS cables that I was using and worked fine.

I have since upgraded to the Focusrite 18i8 because I needed 4 mic preamps.

Overall I think the Personus preamp were very usable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2016, 08:40 AM

You can also use the iPad as a stereo mic / record unit by itself. Search on ebay for a Tascam iM2 stereo mic. It's available used in both the 30 pin and the lightning interface styles. Apparently the thing never took off in the marketplace.

I picked up one for about $20 and it is great for live capture and ideas. Although no substitute for a studio mic, it is quite functional and works fine. It has its own onboard preamp, which may be one reason it sounds better than the iPad circuitry alone.

Check out the Voice Record Pro app as well. It's free (alternately cheap) and is great for live recording. I like the I/O options; for instance I send a track to my Google drive and then can download it to my laptop easily. It also allows access to the track by another application like Garage Band on the same iPad. It will record for as long as you want, subject to storage space capacity (I've tracked two hour concerts easily) and tracks in mp3, mp4 and .wav formats as well as a bunch of others. Just don't try to do any production work with it - it's strictly a recording app.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

Last edited by CaffeinatedOne; 04-15-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
I had the Personus itwo studio kit for a while. I thought it was good value. But I did get my unit for a very good price.
The interface itself seemed stable and worked great. Going from memory it had XLR monitor out. But I have
XLR to TRS cables that I was using and worked fine.

I have since upgraded to the Focusrite 18i8 because I needed 4 mic preamps.

Overall I think the Personus preamp were very usable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi M
I have the iTwo and it is a pair of ¼" output mains, and a USB interface to computers, and USB 2.0 to the iPad.

They also have their own recording software, plus the ability to bounce tracks wirelessly.

And 48V phantom, plus Neutrik inputs (either XLR or ¼" input). It's a thorough little box for $150. And it's compact.

Also, Shure has a Thunderbolt microphone (MV88) which is pretty interesting for that same money. It's dual capsule (dual 10mm I believe), rotatable, and configurable. Omni, uni, mid-side etc. It's run by an app and I'm not sure if it can record directly to Garage Band or not. It works while you are shooting video, so I imagine it's available to apps.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-16-2016, 09:32 AM

Thank you all for the helpful info!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD