The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 08:22 PM

Default Review: G7th's brand new Performance 3 capo with ART: "Adaptive Radius Technology"

The above photo was taken by G7th.

Hi All,

I was given the opportunity to review G7th's brand new Performance 3 capo with ART: "Adaptive Radius Technology." (I'll call it "P3" for short from now on) This is the new and improved iteration of the popular Performance 2 capo.

G7th's capos have made their mark on the guitar world by offering capos whose tension is set by the player. It's not up to some spring, that gives your guitar's neck a death grip.

The new P3 capo features what G7th calls "ART" or "Adaptive Radius Technology." "The ART system within the top bar of G7th Performance 3 capos adapts to the true curvature over your strings and fretboard, exerting completely even pressure across all the strings - setting a new standard of in-tune, buzz-free use. It gives you the maximum tuning stability with the minimum possible tension in EVERY position, on ANY guitar neck."

The inherent problem with most capos is that as you clamp them on any frets, they tend to pull strings just slightly sharp. G7th's previous capos really alleviated most of the tuning issues mainly by allowing the user to apply just enough pressure for the capo to do its job. Other capos don't give you that option. Your guitar's tuning is at the mercy of the strength of the spring mechanism. The further up the neck, the more tension it puts on the strings which equates to your strings being pulled sharper and sharper as you move up the neck.

I know for most, what G7th claims is possible with their new P3...seems almost impossible. I was able to put the new P3 capo through the paces with both my Taylor and Gibson and the P3's results blew me out of the water!

When I first clamped it on, and strummed the first chord I thought: "Hmmm, that doesn't sound to off at all...it actually sounds great and in tune!" I played the Low E string while moving the P3 up and down the neck. It sounded in tune to my ears but how much of this was wishful thinking? The ultimate test would be to use my tuner while using the P3. With the tuner in place, and the P3 clamped on, I hit the Low E...and bingo...it was right on the money! I did this multiple times up and down the fret board, and with each pluck the strings were in tune. I was blown away!

I already was a fan of their Performance 2 capo and decided to compare both. The P2 while absolutely solid, did pull the Low E string ever...ever...ever so slightly sharp according to the tuner. Would it be something that a listening audience would hear? No I doubt it, but to most guitarists, even a slightly off string is enough to drive one slightly crazy. I clamped the P3 back on after testing the P2....and wah-lah the Low E was back in tune! It's nuts to think that a capo could actually be this wonderful.

Thankfully, the P3 is just as slim as the P2 and neither model gets in the way of your left hand. Both capos operate the exact same way. If you really want a capo that leaves your guitar in tune up and down the entire fret board, look no further. G7th's ART works!

The new gold standard for capos has been set by the Performance 3.

Just like the P2, the P3 is backed by G7th's Free Lifetime Warranty.

Here's a video of the new Performance 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZvQ...k#action=share

Please check out G7th's website at: https://www.g7th.com/
G7th Capos
Old 01-22-2019, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the info. The g7 ART technology was first introduced on their Heritage capo which is a fine product.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Looks like a March availability date.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

The P2 is my go-to day to day capo and I like it just fine. It and the Shubb are my two favorite and the P2 is that much easier to use one handed. Would love to have that ART technology, but not at the cost of a heritage capo and don’t really like dealing with a yoke type capo anyway. Wasn’t sure how well that tech would work in an open sided capo, but if it works as well as you indicate, I’ll be right near the front of the line to order one of these...

-Ray
Old 01-23-2019, 01:45 AM

Isn't this some seriously overselling of the P2? The Shubb's tension is set by the player and in my experience gives a slightly brighter, slightly less muted sound, than the P2. (After spending a few years on AGF, I realize anything like a warmer sound is prized by a lot of players. I often find praised demos posted pretty soggy). The P2 nevertheless has the advantage of ease of use and is a help when I'm performing and want to quickly make capo changes.

And so . . . I've ordered the P3 hoping it gives the tuning advantage it promises. (Having just run into the tuning problem with a Shubb tonight.)
Old 01-23-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post

The above photo was taken by G7th.

Hi All,

I was given the opportunity to review G7th's brand new Performance 3 capo with ART: "Adaptive Radius Technology." (I'll call it "P3" for short from now on) This is the new and improved iteration of the popular Performance 2 capo.

G7th's capos have made their mark on the guitar world by offering capos whose tension is set by the player. It's not up to some spring, that gives your guitar's neck a death grip.

The new P3 capo features what G7th calls "ART" or "Adaptive Radius Technology." "The ART system within the top bar of G7th Performance 3 capos adapts to the true curvature over your strings and fretboard, exerting completely even pressure across all the strings - setting a new standard of in-tune, buzz-free use. It gives you the maximum tuning stability with the minimum possible tension in EVERY position, on ANY guitar neck."

The inherent problem with most capos is that as you clamp them on any frets, they tend to pull strings just slightly sharp. G7th's previous capos really alleviated most of the tuning issues mainly by allowing the user to apply just enough pressure for the capo to do its job. Other capos don't give you that option. Your guitar's tuning is at the mercy of the strength of the spring mechanism. The further up the neck, the more tension it puts on the strings which equates to your strings being pulled sharper and sharper as you move up the neck.

I know for most, what G7th claims is possible with their new P3...seems almost impossible. I was able to put the new P3 capo through the paces with both my Taylor and Gibson and the P3's results blew me out of the water!

When I first clamped it on, and strummed the first chord I thought: "Hmmm, that doesn't sound to off at all...it actually sounds great and in tune!" I played the Low E string while moving the P3 up and down the neck. It sounded in tune to my ears but how much of this was wishful thinking? The ultimate test would be to use my tuner while using the P3. With the tuner in place, and the P3 clamped on, I hit the Low E...and bingo...it was right on the money! I did this multiple times up and down the fret board, and with each pluck the strings were in tune. I was blown away!

I already was a fan of their Performance 2 capo and decided to compare both. The P2 while absolutely solid, did pull the Low E string ever...ever...ever so slightly sharp according to the tuner. Would it be something that a listening audience would hear? No I doubt it, but to most guitarists, even a slightly off string is enough to drive one slightly crazy. I clamped the P3 back on after testing the P2....and wah-lah the Low E was back in tune! It's nuts to think that a capo could actually be this wonderful.

Thankfully, the P3 is just as slim as the P2 and neither model gets in the way of your left hand. Both capos operate the exact same way. If you really want a capo that leaves your guitar in tune up and down the entire fret board, look no further. G7th's ART works!

The new gold standard for capos has been set by the Performance 3.

Just like the P2, the P3 is backed by G7th's Free Lifetime Warranty.

Here's a video of the new Performance 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZvQ...k#action=share

Please check out G7th's website at: https://www.g7th.com/
Thank you for the review. By the way 'wah-lah', should be 'voila' (French), and pronounced 'vwa-la'.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
'wah-lah', should be 'voila' (French), and pronounced 'vwa-la'.
All the hipsters of my acquaintance say "VIOLA !"
Old 01-23-2019, 05:56 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Just a note for realism outside of salesmanship.

If you place a capo on top of the fret as in the picture provided by G7, strings being pulled sharp is reduced to the barest minimum . This is where I've learned to place a capo. The only drawback is that if you have any playing to do on the fret immediately in front of the capo you might be a little cramped. What happens is that people prefer a bit more room, move the capo back a bit and then the sharp pulling begins and of course its the capo's fault, lol.

Please note that I do not use clamp type capos like the Kyser. YMMV with those.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-23-2019, 06:01 AM

Thanks for review. I’m heading to NAMM today, hopefully they’ll have some at the G7 booth.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

My experience with G7th is positive but I am wondering how this capo behaves when it comes to bending strings and harmonics. Are the harmonics are as clear as if you had no capo? And when bending strings do they come back to their correct pitch and position?

Thanks in advance to anyone who tries out this capo for chiming in on those aspects.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-23-2019, 10:10 AM

I've now got two P2's (I thought the first one got boosted but found it after replacing it). I really like the light weight and especially the mechanism. However, I find that it works best on my guitars when installed from below, rather than from above. The difference is a more resonant sound of the lower strings. I've found exactly the same thing with my Thalia capo. My Shubb capo doesn't care whether it's installed up or down. Like Barry (TBMan) I have no use for Kyser type clamp-on capos.

I have to ponder the necessity of the ART on the P3's for those with 15 degree or greater radii? I haven't really experienced much if any intonation issues with any of my better capos.

I have modified my P2's slightly by rounding the corners for those times when I install them from the top down (see photo). I wish G7th rounded them off at the factory. I'll have to check out the P3's when they come out, but
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G7th_modified.jpg (63.5 KB, 576 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-23-2019, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmaute View Post
Thanks for review. I’m heading to NAMM today, hopefully they’ll have some at the G7 booth.
I look forward to your thoughts and maybe a highlight or two from your NAMM experience, Joan.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-23-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
All the hipsters of my acquaintance say "VIOLA !"
The first string instrument I ever played!
Old 01-23-2019, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Looking forward to trying one out.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:04 AM

I have to question the design of the capo and how it would interfere with the ART technology.

The design of the Heritage with ART is the straight-pull design of the McKinney/Elliott which in my mind is the superior design, so the "pinch" method of the Performance 3 seems to be counter intuitive.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion