The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-18-2019, 09:37 PM

Default Andy Griffith signature D-18?

This is more in reference to the signature model than Andy’s 1956 and I believe 1958 or so. I’d be curiously if any one has or has played one of these models from around 2004?

From what I can tell they came with both rosewood fretboards and ebony at points during the run of the signature. Overall the bracing and bear claw are sound like a great combo for a d-18 in my opinion so I’d be curious if anyone has one or has played one in the past?
Old 11-18-2019, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

I played a new one at my local dealer. I was really intrigued by the specs, the forward shifted bracing, figured mahogany and bear claw spruce top. It just did not wow me, kind of thin sounding, probably just needed to be played in. I think they made 311 and they ran out of CITES BRW for the bridge and fret board after about 280 or so, so they used ebony for the last 10% of the run.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:04 AM

I played one that must have been from the early or middle parts of the run, because it did have rosewood appointments rather than ebony.

The one that I played was pretty nice in terms of its tone, but wasn’t so wonderful that it astonished me. I didn’t feel any compelling urge to buy it. The quilted mahogany did look good.

Naturally, in terms of tone, one example will often vary some to the next. Plus, I only ever played the one example: as a data sample, from a statistical standpoint that’s worthless.

But it’s the only sample that I have!

Sorry that I couldn’t provide you with more useful information than that.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-19-2019, 08:29 PM

Many thanks to all who've replied. It echos similar comments, with wades being slightly more statistical. Lol.

The specs on these make me really want to like one but Ive came up short while looking. I just wish martin hadn't completely through out the neck profile and went all in on the MLO/PA. The search for mahogany dreads continues....

Thanks again to all who commented.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion