The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-15-2019, 03:51 PM

Default Why ?

Is this bridge securely located and not even close to wanting to roll forward ?
Please note the use of the word roll .

Thank you .
Old 12-15-2019, 05:03 PM

Sorry I can't answer that - I need to wash my eyes after looking at those pictures.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-15-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Sorry I can't answer that - I need to wash my eyes after looking at those pictures.
It is a simple test mule and was never considered to be a functional instrument .
Thanks anyway mate .
Old 12-15-2019, 05:39 PM

Apologies, I didn't mean to offend - it just reminded me of an oversized Bo Diddley guitar.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-15-2019, 05:46 PM

Strings anchored underneath? If that is the case, the only force on the bridge is at the saddle, which is downward.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Is this bridge securely located and not even close to wanting to roll forward ?
Please note the use of the word roll .
Thank you .
Where’s the rolling moment? Maybe a little from the contact point of the string over the saddle, but the strings coming through the holes in the back of the bridge plate are what’s holding everything down. I think you could take the block of wood in front of the bridge away, and still nothing would move.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-15-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Apologies, I didn't mean to offend - it just reminded me of an oversized Bo Diddley guitar.
Yeah , I had thought that as well . Very oversized . I just couldn't bring myself to cut down a perfectly usable piece of 1 1/2" plywood for this .
Old 12-15-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I just couldn't bring myself to cut down a perfectly usable piece of 1 1/2" plywood for this .
I also have more respect for plywood. But hey, add a pickup, plug it in and rock on
Old 12-15-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
I also have more respect for plywood. But hey, add a pickup, plug it in and rock on
It also serves as a spacer of my homemade GoBar deck . Not destined for a musical instrument , particularly when I have so much real wood available . You know , non plywood .
Old 12-15-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I think you could take the block of wood in front of the bridge away, and still nothing would move.
Depending on the friction coefficient, it might slide forward a little, because the force is not exactly perpendicular. The force vector bisects the angle that the strings make across the saddle. In other words, if the string break angle is 20 degrees, then the force vector is 10 degrees off vertical.
Essentially, what you have here is the same as the bridge and tailpiece arrangement on an archtop. The string tension is borne by the mostly rigid solid block of plywood, so the only force on the bridge is that generated by the bending of the string across the saddle.
Two rules of statics:
The sum of all forces on a system is zero.
The sum of all torque on a system is zero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statics

Last edited by John Arnold; 12-15-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Depending on the friction coefficient, it might slide forward a little, because the force is not exactly perpendicular. The force vector bisects the angle that the strings make across the saddle. In other words, if the string break angle is 20 degrees, then the force vector is 10 degrees off vertical.
Essentially, what you have here is the same as the bridge and tailpiece arrangement on an archtop. The string tension is borne by the mostly rigid solid block of plywood, so the only force on the bridge is that generated by the bending of the string across the saddle.
Two rules of statics:
The sum of all forces on a system is zero.
The sum of all torque on a system is zero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statics
So there is no force loading into the bridge assembly at the point where the strings emerge through the bridge after they leave the plywood .
Old 12-16-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
So there is no force loading into the bridge assembly at the point where the strings emerge through the bridge after they leave the plywood .
Yes, there is, but not enough to overcome the inherent strength of the plywood. Do the same experiment on a piece of 1/8" plywood and you'll see the results of the force vectors.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:43 AM

As a geologist I had to take some engineering courses at the Uni and this stuff always amazed me. If anything it taught me that your intuition is your own worst enemy.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Yes, there is, but not enough to overcome the inherent strength of the plywood. Do the same experiment on a piece of 1/8" plywood and you'll see the results of the force vectors.
Am I permitted to add bracing to the plywood ?
Old 12-16-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
So there is no force loading into the bridge assembly at the point where the strings emerge through the bridge after they leave the plywood
Force is a vector. It has amplitude and direction. The force on the bridge assembly where the strings exit is downward. Just like my example of the force on the saddles, the force at that location is at an angle bisecting the angle the string makes.
If you were to attach the strings to the back of the bridge, then you have a different situation. You would have a force pulling up on the bridge, causing it to lift from the back edge. Right now, the upward force is borne by the thick plywood.
Like so many of these situations, a simple diagram of the forces would surely help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair