The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-14-2018, 02:43 PM

I ordered one (KM184) and have a BAE 73 DMP and WA-2A that works nicely with my U87ai (which is the first time I had a vocal chain I was truly happy with, and is easy to get nice results) so I'm hoping (maybe) it will pair nicely with this mic.

I also have an Apollo and tons of emulation but prefer hardware for a recording chain.

I'll chime in after Christmas break about wether I like it noticably better than the 87 for my Taylor 510.

That said, first time post, amateur, with many decades into a gear journey, but still an amateur all around, so that's the big problem with buying any mic. Any mic in the hands of an amateur is anyone's guess to how great it 'sounds'. That said, I think of mics as: how they pair with a preamp (much like my guitars to amps)

Love Womack's post! Many thanks!

Last edited by db9091; 12-14-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by db9091 View Post
I ordered one (KM184) and have a BAE 73 DMP and WA-2A that works nicely with my U87ai (which is the first time I had a vocal chain I was truly happy with, and is easy to get nice results) so I'm hoping (maybe) it will pair nicely with this mic.

I also have an Apollo and tons of emulation but prefer hardware for a recording chain.

I'll chime in after Christmas break about wether I like it noticably better than the 87 for my Taylor 510.

That said, first time post, amateur, with many decades into a gear journey, but still an amateur all around, so that's the big problem with buying any mic. Any mic in the hands of an amateur is anyone's guess to how great it 'sounds'. That said, I think if mics as how they pair with a preamp (much like my guitars to amps)

Love Womack's post! Many thanks!
Hi DB9091

Hello and Welcome to the forum!

I look forward to your post-Christmas follow-up.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-14-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi DB9091

Hello and Welcome to the forum!

I look forward to your post-Christmas follow-up.
Thanks, man! And I like your guitars!
Didn't know you can could fold an acoustic in half, cool!
(I wonder if there are electrics that do that?)
Old 12-20-2018, 01:08 PM

Toyed around this weekend. I like it. Its a musical mic. Luscious I'd say (in comparison with the more neutral sounding U87)

I've had Rode NT5's before (and many other types of low end mics) an nothing impressed me.
This just sounded nice. A little boomy at 14" pointed at the fretboard, but a 510 is a loud assed guitar, so I may need to just record further back.

Over Christmas vacation I'll record with it more. I got a good deal for a never used one ($505, box, candy) and it's an entirely different tone than the U87 so no overlapping.

About the only thing I'd be interested in trying is, not a new or different mic, but a preamp that isn't colored (I have the BAE 73 paired to a WA2A) so maybe a Millennial or something to have a "transparent" preamp?

Any thoughts on good preamps for the KM184?
Old 12-20-2018, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...[snip]...

About the only thing I'd be interested in trying is, not a new or different mic, but a preamp that isn't colored (I have the BAE 73 paired to a WA2A) so maybe a Millennial or something to have a "transparent" preamp?

Some "clean/transparent" preamps to consider:
NPNG
Forssell
Pueblo
Speck
Gordon

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 12-20-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Toyed around this weekend. I like it. Its a musical mic. Luscious I'd say (in comparison with the more neutral sounding U87)

I've had Rode NT5's before (and many other types of low end mics) an nothing impressed me.
This just sounded nice. A little boomy at 14" pointed at the fretboard, but a 510 is a loud assed guitar, so I may need to just record further back.

Over Christmas vacation I'll record with it more. I got a good deal for a never used one ($505, box, candy) and it's an entirely different tone than the U87 so no overlapping.

Neve Portico 5012 pairs nice with the KM184 and they go for reasonable prices used! By the way I've used a U87 with a KM184 on a vintage J45 the other day and they sounded great together. For that recording I used a pair of LA610s for preamps.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:55 PM

Grace M101 is a decent clean preamp for the money.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR1960 View Post
Grace M101 is a decent clean preamp for the money.
+1 on the Grace
Old 12-20-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:

I can recommend the A Designs MP-2A. Although a tube preamp it's incredibly transparent. I don't know how good a match it would make with the KM184 but the A Designs MP-2A sounds great with my Gefell, Sennheiser and Miktek mikes.

Last edited by Trevor B.; 12-20-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:

::cough:: The U87i (or ai) are not neutral.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
::cough:: The U87i (or ai) are not neutral.
I guess it depends on ones definition of (neutral) if it is a flat frequency response throughout the frequency range ( which is what I would think of as neutral) then the 87Ai it is pretty flat, only up to about (depending on polar pattern) 4kHz to 6kHZ where it has a 3 to 6 db lift (again depending on pattern)

Here is the Cardioid response graph for the 87 from the Neumann website ( obviously frequency response does not tell the entire story and is merely a reference for one aspect of the sound)

and interestingly enough here is the response graph for the 184

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-03-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:00 PM

Well I can't argue against the neutral point, which is why I was speaking entirely about the relationship between the two.

Heck, they're currently going through a 1073->2A. Nothing screams anti-neutral more than that. Maybe "more clinical" was the word I was looking for? IDK the proper terms.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:02 PM

Don’t forget the German Lake People preamps. Super neutral and the preamps used by Gefell (and Schoeps afaik) to test their mics.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 12-21-2018, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well I can't argue against the neutral point, which is why I was speaking entirely about the relationship between the two.

Heck, they're currently going through a 1073->2A. Nothing screams anti-neutral more than that. Maybe "more clinical" was the word I was looking for? IDK the proper terms.
Na don't even think about it, it is just the internets. In regards to the relationship between the two , one thing the response graphs do show is that the 87 is flatter much lower in the frequency range ( to about 70 hz) before starting to roll off , where the 184 starts rolling off at just above 200 hz ,
This would suggest that the 87 is probably sounds more balanced throughout the frequency range where the 184 perhaps does sound more high-endish (ha just made that word up).

And I have to 2nd Trevor, I have an A Designs MP2A and it is pretty transparent for a tube amp very 3D and is known to work well with a wide variety of mics

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-02-2019, 03:29 PM

I've had a pair of consecutive serial number KM84s (from 1977) for about 18 months now, I bought them specifically for recording acoustic guitar. Had Andreas Grosser in Germany (ex Neumann tech) give them the once over. They are quite simply the best mics I have ever heard, and just sound "right". Now I want to get a pair of KK83 capsules so I can use them as Omni mics too. I pair them with a Chandler TG2 pre. Sounds as good as anything I hear on my fave 70's recordings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD